"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
Master Chef

DW's' in Tacoma and has been for the p[ast week. Tonight was a bachelor kind of meal. Some good left-over baked beans (made from scratch), 4 pieces of thick-sliced bacon, cooked jsut right, 1 ripe tomato, sliced, and one spud nuked in the microwave until done, then sliced and fried in the bacon grease until just turning redish brown and crispy with salt and pepper. For a beverage, I took a half full container of good soy milk, mixed 2 tbs. unsweetend cocoa powder and 2 tbs. honey, along with 1/4 tsp. cinamon. Threw it all in the blender. It is yummy. Had a glass full. desert will come later, a container of sugar-free, fat-free strawberry/banana yogurt, ice cold.

Yup, though I'm a bit lonely, (this week without DW isn't nearly as difficult as 6 months on an aircraft carrier) being alone to take care of some projects is ok, especially since I know I'll be back with her, and preparing for my daughter's wedding in another 5 days or so.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
and a loaf of bread my daughter and I made this morning :)

awwww yt, that is neat

Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
homemade farmhouse soup, and a loaf of bread my daughter and I made this morning :)
A guy who loves his kids, and loves learning and teaching. Not bad for a limey. Not bad at all.

Hey YT; you make me proud to call you freind.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Is YT a limey?
For all I know he's a cockney or scouse

Anyway, what's "farmhouse soup", YT?

This is what I had; orange roughy seasoned with cajun seasoning, fresh cracked pepper and done of the grill, beans "almondine" (gawd I hate that term) and fries.... errr, I mean chips. They did have vinegar on them afterall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 23 orange roughy.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	3807  
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
Master Chef

change of dinner. jake didn't arrive til 9-ish, so dinner is frescetta pizza. steak tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #26
Master Chef

We did a variation on a pork chop recipe that used apples and sweet potatoes and onion. I omitted the onion. I took 6 thin cut medium sized pork chops, 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce, 2tbsp Liquid Hickory Smoke flavoring, 1tbsp black pepper, and 1tbsp meat tenderizer. I put it all in a large casserole dish, coated and mixed thoroughly. I then covered in 2 medium sized apples chopped up, and three medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and sliced.
I covered the whole thing liberally with brown sugar, and baked at 375 for 45mins. Instant hit with the family!
For desert we made cake mix cookies using a lemon supreme cake mix, two eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 2 cups shredded coconut. Mixed all together, spooned onto cookie sheet, and baked at 350 for 8 minutes. I put about 8 on each cookie sheet.
Another instant hit!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Revised dinner. Buck and I had such a great time sitting on the front porch tonight, we didn't get inside until almost 9 p.m. Yippee! Yippee! Instead we had a huge bowl of popcorn made with our Whirley-Popper. We're happy campers.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Anyway, what's "farmhouse soup", YT?
mine is a variation on this: Farmhouse Chicken Soup Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
instead I put in Pasta twirls in place of the Spaetzle.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Just a chicken handroll for dinner and a mandarin for dessert.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #30
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We did a variation on a pork chop recipe that used apples and sweet potatoes and onion.
I have a similiar recipe that uses just pork chops, apples, sweet potatoes, brown sugar and apple juice. It is one of my favorites!