Jamie Oliver - the big debate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like Jamie Oliver, both of his shows that I have seen. The people who product his show are the same as produced Two Fat Ladies, thus the England origin. He is cockney and sometimes it is hard to understand him when he talks fast. He is, in my opinion, one of the better chefs on Food TV. I also really like Sara Moulton, Martha. I am tiring fast of Emeril and his bamming trick and seasoning jokes, he is too theatrical. The 30 minute bimbo is an enormous joke to me. I really do not watch the food station much anymore because I do not like most of the new chefs and the ones I like are all in reruns. Too bad. I do keep checking to see what is new, howver.

buckytom said:
bug, i dare you to translate a conversation between natives of belfast. they barely open their mouths, and speak remarkably fast. same goes for 2 scots...

But..... it's not US that has the accent.... we speak English, honestly :LOL:

Ishbel said:
buckytom said:
bug, i dare you to translate a conversation between natives of belfast. they barely open their mouths, and speak remarkably fast. same goes for 2 scots...

But..... it's not US that has the accent.... we speak English, honestly :LOL:

Yes Ishbel, here in US we speak American, the Queens English is quite another language.

I meant us (lower case).... not US as in USA....!!!

I just think its funny when Americans say that they can't understand our accents... after all, we're talking English, and we think its the Americans that have accents, not us!!! :LOL: ;)

Ishbel said:
I meant us (lower case).... not US as in USA....!!!

I just think its funny when Americans say that they can't understand our accents... after all, we're talking English, and we think its the Americans that have accents, not us!!! :LOL: ;)

I was not saying I could not understand you or the us. I grew up in a household of accents and usually have no trouble understanding people who speak with an accent. It is comforting to me. Sorry I misunderstood.

I know what you mean about accents - my family travelled most of my childhood, we lived in the Far East, The Gulf, Cyprus and Germany.... so grew up having constantly to 'retune' our ears to hear accents.

My husband always says that he understands Scots accents best if he cocks his head slightly to one side whilst listening to people here.... it certainly seems to work, but he sometimes gets funny looks from people!

Re: The ***** Chef

pdswife1 said:
I love watching him.. he makes everything look so easy!
I've got one of his cookbooks and would love to have the rest.

He's got an energy that I really like.

You got that right....he is kind of fun to watch and has great motor skills.

Ishbel said:
I know what you mean about accents - my family travelled most of my childhood, we lived in the Far East, The Gulf, Cyprus and Germany.... so grew up having constantly to 'retune' our ears to hear accents.

My husband always says that he understands Scots accents best if he cocks his head slightly to one side whilst listening to people here.... it certainly seems to work, but he sometimes gets funny looks from people!

My younger cousins in Norway must have two years of English before they are allowed to study American, two separate languages over there. I have to watch myself when I write and speak to them because our expressions have literal meaning over there; go fly a kite or get lost or go climb a tree means just that.

I work in a call centre, and when people from Glasgow ring, I feel like I need subtitles, the same with Geordies. (from England's North East) Here in Manchester my butcher couldn't understand a word I was saying when he first met me, I had to write all my orders down for him!!!! My Aussie accents isn't that broad, well it isn't to me!!!!!!

I could understand my dads parents from England but my step mom's side was from Whales and I could not understand a word they said.

mudbug said:
The only thing that bugs me about him is his way of calling all women on his live shows "darling". Sounds a little patronizing to me after about the 10th time.

He is not being patronising. It's a London thing ;) Just a friendly way to talk to a woman. You want to hear somebody from Somerset speak. You will get called "my lover" :D

I like Jamie. He does get a fare about of people hating him but I think that's only because he is very popular. I think he has a real passion for food and good ideas about what is and what's not good food.

Leaf Storm said:
He is not being patronising. It's a London thing ;) Just a friendly way to talk to a woman. You want to hear somebody from Somerset speak. You will get called "my lover" :D

And in Cornwall, if you are male you will get someone asking you in a shop.... 'And what can I do for you, me 'andsome'.... And you're right about the Londoner thing... :D

In Scotland we use 'Darlin' and 'hen' for women, 'son' for a man, even if it is someone older than you... but has to be a close relative or friend to use that word!

Leaf and Ishbel, I'll take your point.

Actually, down south in the US you will often be addressed as 'darlin', and waitresses and other people in the service professions in nearby Baltimore, Maryland are famous for calling customers "hon."

if you reffered to a woman as darlin', or hen here in nyc, you will probably get a dirty look, or if it's a co-worker, you would be fired for harassment.

lol kyles about the subtitles. i have friends from glasgow that have to speak to me like i'm really dumb, so i can understand them.
a few years ago, i dated a girl from co. donegal in ireland. great accent, and all of her sentences ended with "hi". the funniest thing was when we went to go see the movie, "the hours". she walked up to the ticket booth and asked the see the movie in her thick accent. the clerk could not understand her one bit because she kept saying, i'd like to see the ooh-rs. she finally had to spell it, "haich, o, u, r, s; the ooh-rs". lol.

Back
Top Bottom