Jan 12 2019 - National curried chicken day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-curried-chicken-day-january-12/

I just ate the last helping if the Thai curry I made a few nights ago, but I told the person that informed me of this day, that the leftovers don't count, so I'll have to make another batch now. lol

Anybody else know about this day (I didn't, until told today), or celebrating it by cooking something? I'll probably make a vindaloo variety this time.

I'm doing a first time attempt at southern Country Captain Chicken. The various classic recipes sound good and I'll be using the required curry powder so it sounds like it qualifies for the new to me "holiday" with an American twist.

Last edited:
I had butter chicken yesterday, I must have known. When you guys say curry powder, is that store bought or roasted and ground spices that I make from scratch.

Russ

Here's the Vindaloo curry powder that I make. This makes close to 1 1/2 cups, so it can be cut in half.

8 dried Thai peppers, or Indian, Chinese, de árbol, etc., broken up
3/4 c Indian coriander seed
1/4 c cumin seed
2 tb black cumin seed
2 tb black peppercorns
1 tb fenugreek seeds
2 tsp black mustard seed
8 whole cloves
1" piece cassia, broken up
1 large or 2 small black cardamom pods, crushed and broken up
1 tsp ground turmeric

Preheat toasting pan over med-high heat; add all spices except for the turmeric, and toss for 1-1 1/2 minutes, or until toasted, with a wisp of smoke starting to show in the pan. Pour into a broad bowl to cool. Grind to a fine powder, in several batches, if necessary, then mix in the turmeric.

It's 18 F outside with a 15 mph wind, so outside grilling is not really practical. Tonight's dinner will be cheeseburgers on the griddler, oven fries. The griddler is not as good as the gas Weber, but it will have to do for nights like tonight.

Here's the Vindaloo curry powder that I make. This makes close to 1 1/2 cups, so it can be cut in half.

8 dried Thai peppers, or Indian, Chinese, de árbol, etc., broken up
3/4 c Indian coriander seed
1/4 c cumin seed
2 tb black cumin seed
2 tb black peppercorns
1 tb fenugreek seeds
2 tsp black mustard seed
8 whole cloves
1" piece cassia, broken up
1 large or 2 small black cardamom pods, crushed and broken up
1 tsp ground turmeric

Preheat toasting pan over med-high heat; add all spices except for the turmeric, and toss for 1-1 1/2 minutes, or until toasted, with a wisp of smoke starting to show in the pan. Pour into a broad bowl to cool. Grind to a fine powder, in several batches, if necessary, then mix in the turmeric.

Lots of stuff I use too, I know you like heat. No fennel seeds, I also use brown and green cardamom seeds. The smell are amazing when roasting.

Russ

I'm just not a fan of Indian Curry, so this is as exotic as I get and it works for me.

Attachments

• Curry.jpg
    Curry.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 135
Shanghai lion's head meatballs (pork) with Napa cabbage, baby bok choy, and bean thread noodles.

Attachments

• 2019-01-12 18.51.56.jpg
    2019-01-12 18.51.56.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 139
I once again emptied the freezer for tonight's dinner. I liberated a small boneless chuck roast and made a pot roast for tonight's dinner. For a change I served buttered egg noodles instead of mashed potatoes.

No chance to use freezer food; we brought lots of leftovers from Blue Colony Diner last night. I stuffed my face with the last of my stroganoff. Simmered frozen haricots in butter water instead of making salad. It's 18 degrees outside and the salad ship is docked for the winter.
IMG_20190112_193942450.jpg

I made a batch of chicken wings yesterday afternoon, and had the leftovers today. I looked around for a new way to make them, and came across this recipe from Chef John. I only had about a pound and a half of wings rather than the 4 lbs. the recipe called for, so I scaled down the recipe. They were delicious. :yum: Salad on the side.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...Source=hub recipe&referringContentType=Search

Wonderful looking and sounding meals this evening!

Kay....funny you should mention Country Captain...I've been thinking about this recently. I made it about 5 years ago and loved it. I don't remember if I used Rachael Ray's recipe or a take on Bobby Flay's, but I thought it was delicious. I do remember that I just used thighs, rather than a combo of chicken parts. Let us know how you liked it!:chef:

Lots of stuff I use too, I know you like heat. No fennel seeds, I also use brown and green cardamom seeds. The smell are amazing when roasting.

Russ
I have some masalas that have the other cardamoms in them, as well. That stuf does smell fantastic, before and after toasting!

Not curry. I don't like it. :ohmy:

It was a lazy day today, so more grazing from the fridge.

CD

Wonderful looking and sounding meals this evening!

Kay....funny you should mention Country Captain...I've been thinking about this recently. I made it about 5 years ago and loved it. I don't remember if I used Rachael Ray's recipe or a take on Bobby Flay's, but I thought it was delicious. I do remember that I just used thighs, rather than a combo of chicken parts. Let us know how you liked it!:chef:
The Country Captain was on hold tonight when the SC asked for cow so we had our favorite bacon wrapped Fillet Mignon with sides.

I'll be making it this week though and using our preferred thighs.
Your wings tonight sound great! They are my second favorite chicken part.

Back
Top Bottom