"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Job Shadowing

I thought this may be a good place to ask this question:

I am going into the culinary field, but there are so many options as far as job titles, places to work etc. I am having a hard time focusing on getting a certain degree/certificate.

I definately am ready to be in charge (management), love the buisness side of things, but also want to be hands on with the food itself! I also am newly married and want to start a family in the next 5 or so years, so I do not want a job that requires me to be around 24/7.

I felt that job shadowing would be a GREAT way for me to see exactly what all of these jobs mean, and a good way to ask a lot of questions!
BUT, the only way to job shadow now-a-days is if you are already a culinary student, OR if you are still in high school! There are no programs out there for "non-traditional" students (I am 27, and wanting to start a NEW career).

Any help you could give me to guide me in the right direction? Any website or program that I am just not seeing?

Thank you! I would love any input!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Master Chef

First of all welcome to the forum, a special welcome to a fellow Minnesotan.

As far as your question goes, we just had a very-very simular discussion here. See if you can search for it.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ok, here you go, I searched it for you.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...bie-61061.html
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you CharlieD
That is nice of you to search that for me.

I guess my main question actually is how to find someone to job shadow.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Head Chef

If you want to job shadow for a day or two, you could probably just start asking around to see if anyone is interested in helping you out. Check with your favorite restaurant, or go to a large hotel/convention center and ask to speak with someone (look up who their top managers are), then ask. couldn't hurt.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Sous Chef

There's a lot more to the management side than being in charge of people too. Do you have a business degree of any kind? Have you managed people? You might also be in charge of ordering in the management end as well. Therefore you would have to understand the portions ratio aspect of the restaurant as well. Also what kind of prices to set, labor cost, etc.
You should also get your restaurant managers license. We have to have them in Fl. There needs to be one on property at all times.
It depends on the size of the place you will go into. Some have a full brigade, others get by with a front end manager and a kitchen manager with an overall GM.
Without any experience I wouldn't look at management until you've have some. And schooling is great, a lot of us here have had some but, book smarts and street smarts is two different things, If you know what I mean.