July 2 - Saturday, What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, to keep this OT, I have decided to make exactly the same thing that I made last night. Exactly, lol. Just got finished scraping out the gasser so it doesn't turn scary on me again.

Meat Loaf is in the oven.

Meatloaf and stir-fried green beans.

img_1018946_0_4f2f0b107e6b7947fa61582bcd6b85fc.jpg

Here's is the recipe I used now and then, Patty, posted here a long time ago. Circa 1983 Field & Stream.

Bean Hole Beans

2 lbs (4 cups) navy beans
3 1/2 qts water (more or less)
2 onions
6 whole cloves :yuk::yuk:
½ lb salt pork
2 lbs cooked ham chunks or hot dogs (optional)
1 tsp salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup dark molasses
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
1 cup chili sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches

The following day drain the beans and put in a pot. Add about 3 qts of water, cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour

Stick the cloves in the onions and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven

Pour the beans and cooking liquid into the Dutch oven

Cut a couple deep slashes in the salt pork and poke it into the beans

(If you wish add your ham or hot dogs)

Mix the remaining ingredients with ½ cup of boiling water and pour over the beans

If necessary add more boiling water to cover beans

Cover and cook until done

Serves 12-14

Thanks

In case I don't get around to snapping a pic after cooking, like last night :rolleyes:
The shrimp, seasoned with some Tasty Licks Dixieland Dust.
shrimp.jpg
The cheap ... steak I bought a loin of, but look at that marbling. Tasty stuff. Worth every bit of 4 bucks a lb.
steak.jpg
The spud is in the nuker, waiting on some feverish electrical action before finishing on the grill.
And the veggie... need I say more. :)
asparagus.jpg

Dolmas with lemom-egg sauce. Feta cheese, greek black olives, and fresh lemom mint on top.

Attachments

• dolmas 017.jpg
    dolmas 017.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 226
Kay, I need a recipe, lol.
Red pepper flakes OK? EVOO, canola, peanut, the sesame oil...? I am chili oil challenged and might as well ask here rather than Googling it. Tosat it for how long and can I make more than I need and keep it in the fridge?

It's as easy as it sounds Pac. ;) Heat up some oil, peanut oil if you have it, any flavorless oil if you don't. To a half cup of oil, I'd add about four or five tablespoons of hot pepper flakes. Simmer for about 10 min. till the oil is nice and red. Strain if you want, and I think you can keep in the fridge for ages.

In case I don't get around to snapping a pic after cooking, like last night :rolleyes:

And the veggie... need I say more. :)
View attachment 11343
One question, P. I am intrigued by the bacon wrapped asparagus. Wouldn't you have to cook the bejeezus out of the asparagus before the bacon is cooked enough to eat? It would be mushy by then, no?

We are having pretty much the same meal for our dinner tongiht, btw.

Last edited:
It's as easy as it sounds Pac. ;) Heat up some oil, peanut oil if you have it, any flavorless oil if you don't. To a half cup of oil, I'd add about four or five tablespoons of hot pepper flakes. Simmer for about 10 min. till the oil is nice and red. Strain if you want, and I think you can keep in the fridge for ages.

Thanks. I would not have thought to use that much pepper flakes without you saying it. I think I'll make some today to have on hand.

One question, P. I am intrigued by the bacon wrapped asparagus. Wouldn't you have to cook the bejeezus out of the asparagus before the bacon is cooked enough to eat? It would be mushy by then, no?

We are having pretty much the same meal for our dinner tongiht, btw.

Well let me first say that I don't like al denté veggies. I don't get into crisp/tender. Just my tastes and I realize I am in minority here.
That said, I guess the asparagus is overcooked, but it also picks up a crispness both from the grill and cooking inside that bacon strip. It works for me.
I know some people that precook the bacon a little before wrapping it around anything, just so they don't overcook whatever they are wrapping it around. I think it sticks better wrapping it uncooked though.

We had a few people over last night. Started out with Johnsonville hot sausages and bacon wrapped chicken wings, among others finger items. I just did bacon wrapped wings a couple of nights ago they turned out so good I had to do them again.
Dinner consisted of beer can chicken and baby back ribs in the smoker (sorry no rib pics). The ribs were Un-Real. Lots of beer were consumed as well.
I always wondered if beer can chicken really helped maintain the chicken moist. I don't see much diff among the diff cooking methods.

It's my daughter and her husband's turn to host tonight so we'll be driving over the hill into the inferno San Fernando Valley for some carne asada. He's grilling on his 26" Weber kettle.

Attachments

• P1060019.jpg
    P1060019.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 213
  • P1060021.jpg
    P1060021.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 199
  • P1060023.jpg
    P1060023.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 200
Roadie, are those conventional chicken wings, with the bone in? That seems like a cool idea, but would it work better with tenders or something boneless, so you don't have to eat around the bone? Or does the bacon come off easily with the bite?

Rock, I think with bacon wrapped around anything you are automatically given some leeway as to anything being overdone. I'm pretty sure I read that in The Bacon Handbook ;)

Roadie, are those conventional chicken wings, with the bone in? That seems like a cool idea, but would it work better with tenders or something boneless, so you don't have to eat around the bone? Or does the bacon come off easily with the bite?
You know, I like your idea using chicken tenders better. Some of the bacon did separate from the chicken as I bit into them.
I'll definitely do that next time.

Well let me first say that I don't like al denté veggies. I don't get into crisp/tender. Just my tastes and I realize I am in minority here.

I am with you here. I like my veggies either cooked or raw. Not just heated until the outer part is limp and slightly warm. :yuk::yuk:

That said, I guess the asparagus is overcooked, but it also picks up a crispness both from the grill and cooking inside that bacon strip. It works for me.
I know some people that precook the bacon a little before wrapping it around anything, just so they don't overcook whatever they are wrapping it around. I think it sticks better wrapping it uncooked though.

You're not in the minority as far as I'm concerned. I want my veggies cooked.

I even take canned butter beans, add water, butter, onion and garlic and cook an additional 1/2 hour. Then they're done IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom