"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Nope, one bandwagon I was never on ;^)

No Chinese noodles and I'll guarantee the town store doesn't have any. I've got everything else though.
Is that two recipes? I've got videos playing again and will leave and come back to see if they stop... I just read your post quickly, Kay. It looks good!
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Nope, one bandwagon I was never on ;^)

No Chinese noodles and I'll guarantee the town store doesn't have any. I've got everything else though.
Is that two recipes? I've got videos playing again and will leave and come back to see if they stop... I just read your post quickly, Kay. It looks good!
Pac, I edited that you can use spaghetti instead of Chinese noodles. I've done it many times and it's great. The first part of the recipe is for a lb.
It keeps well for up to two days, but it never lasts more than one sitting around here.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Oh yeah, those sound good, Kay. And I see you can use thin spaghetti now. No chili oil though. I looked for that before and couldn't find it around here. I think I'll order some.

Patty, your post has an attachment but no pic. At least on my end. It just says "Attachment 11337", but clicking on it doesn't go anywhere. Your dinner sounds good anyway. How did you make the beans? First time huh? I haven't made baked beans start to finish in a long time. I'm overdue.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Pac, I edited that you can use spaghetti instead of Chinese noodles. I've done it many times and it's great. The first part of the recipe is for a lb.
It keeps well for up to two days, but it never lasts more than one sitting around here.
Hey thanks! No video pop ups or audio playing and I can take my time.
I see now that you broke it down into smaller servings. Super
I'm going to be making this as soon as I can get some chili oil.
Not tonight though Still at a loss here. I've got half a mind to replicate last night's dinner on my SJ, but I know there isn't enough room
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #35
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Patty, your post has an attachment but no pic. At least on my end. It just says "Attachment 11337", but clicking on it doesn't go anywhere. Your dinner sounds good anyway. How did you make the beans? First time huh? I haven't made baked beans start to finish in a long time. I'm overdue.

I messed with the lighting in the picture and re-posted it. It is here now. I used to just DR. up canned baked beans. That is the first time I did it from scratch. I wanted to control the sugar, salt and make them fat free. They came out pretty good and not hard. You just have to plan and have the time. I will be doing this again. I used Hickory Liquid smoke to make up for the lack of bacon.
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #36
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey thanks! No video pop ups or audio playing and I can take my time.
I see now that you broke it down into smaller servings. Super
I'm going to be making this as soon as I can get some chili oil.
Not tonight though Still at a loss here. I've got half a mind to replicate last night's dinner on my SJ, but I know there isn't enough room
Got chili flakes? Toast them in a little oil.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I messed with the lighting in the picture and re-posted it. It is here now. I used to just DR. up canned baked beans. That is the first time I did it from scratch. I wanted to control the sugar, salt and make them fat free. They came out pretty good and not hard. You just have to plan and have the time. I will be doing this again. I used Hickory Liquid smoke to make up for the lack of bacon.
Yep. There now. Thanks.
You know, I used to make mine from scratch, but cooking for one have taken to doctoring up some Bush's instead. Funny how things go full circle. I used to use salt pork and molasses (amongst other things), but that's a great use for LS, too. That would certainly add a lot to beans and next time I doctor mine I'll add a few drops.
Looks like you've got a complete plate there. My kind of meal.

Kay, I need a recipe, lol.
Red pepper flakes OK? EVOO, canola, peanut, the sesame oil...? I am chili oil challenged and might as well ask here rather than Googling it. Tosat it for how long and can I make more than I need and keep it in the fridge?
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
[QUOTE=pacanis;1018938]Yep. There now. Thanks.
You know, I used to make mine from scratch, but cooking for one have taken to doctoring up some Bush's instead. Funny how things go full circle. I used to use salt pork and molasses (amongst other things), but that's a great use for LS, too. That would certainly add a lot to beans and next time I doctor mine I'll add a few drops.
Looks like you've got a complete plate there. My kind of meal.

I also used molasses, dark brown sugar, mustard and ketchup and a large onion chopped. I wanted to make them from scratch to make them more healthy, but this time it was a matter of economics. I already had all the ingredients on hand.
:BURP:
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #39
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingMamaof2 View Post
My husband has been doing the cooking this week, so it's my turn tonight. I'm doing BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, and probably some potatoes. He started some bread, so I have to pop that in the oven and then we are making sausage tonight. I'm not much of a griller, so the ribs should be interesting.
It actually all turned out really well for my first all grilled meal (and with no help from DH). I did glazed ribs, red potatoes with onion and green pepper, mixed with olive oil and rosemary, and corn with olive oil. Even my 3 year old said, "Thanks for making a lovely meal, Mom."
__________________
CookingMamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Here's is the recipe I used now and then, Patty, posted here a long time ago. Circa 1983 Field & Stream.

Bean Hole Beans



2 lbs (4 cups) navy beans
3 1/2 qts water (more or less)
2 onions
6 whole cloves
lb salt pork
2 lbs cooked ham chunks or hot dogs (optional)
1 tsp salt
cup brown sugar
cup dark molasses
1 tsp dry mustard
1 cup chili sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches

The following day drain the beans and put in a pot. Add about 3 qts of water, cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour

Stick the cloves in the onions and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven

Pour the beans and cooking liquid into the Dutch oven

Cut a couple deep slashes in the salt pork and poke it into the beans

(If you wish add your ham or hot dogs)

Mix the remaining ingredients with cup of boiling water and pour over the beans

If necessary add more boiling water to cover beans

Cover and cook until done

Serves 12-14
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.