July 21st 2014 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Looked around and didn't see a forum for tonight's dinner thread. Does that mean no one is cooking?! Or just haven't come up with what to cook yet.

Tonight for dinner we are having Grilled Hamburgers & Hotdogs with French Fries cooked in my cast iron skillet. :yum:

Well I cooked! It was mostly what I call a larder meal, i.e. mostly from larder ingredients. I had a fish stock cube that needed to be used up and had a tin of albacore tuna.... = tuna risotto!

To the risotto rice, I added cut up fresh green beans (that I had), left over chopped spring onions + some chopped fresh tomatoes - along with the fish stock, albacore tuna. It was great! The tomatoes offset what would otherwise be a strong fish stock. All done in under 30 mins.

Jessica, your earlier post about meatballs prompted me to take a container of meatballs and sausages in sauce out of the freezer for dinner tonight.

Tonight I have a civic league board meeting and we have leftovers, so that's what's for dinner: Couscous with grilled veggies and white-wine vinaigrette, penne with no-cook tomato sauce, pan-fried chicken to slice and serve over either, and sliced marinated cucumber for me, cucumber cut into wedges and salted for DH.

Tonight we are having red and orange stuffed peppers. I hollowed out but kept whole one red and one orange pepper. I microwaved them for a few minutes to soften then stuffed them with cooked rice, scallions, dark red kidney beans, cheese, seasoned salt, pepper, Italian herbs and bits of the top that I had cut off.

I added some pasta sauce to a small crockpot and added the peppers and spooned some sauce over them.

I have left over pork and beans. I'll add some type of sausage and some buns to stretch. Maybe pick up some deli potato salad.

Wraps this afternoon. Avocado, rice, black beans, salsa, and cilantro.

img_1376204_0_85078634596dbd16e6249028acfb5855.jpg

When I made frikadeller the other day, I made enough for a second meal. So, we had frikadeller, boiled potatoes, and a green salad with a blue cheese dressing. Oh, and the last of the rødkål. Washed it down with Carlsberg.

We had Italian comfort food...Spaghetti Carbonara made with angel hair pasta.

I can hear some Italians yelling " OMG you can't make Spaghetti Carbonara with angel hair pasta!!!!" Oh yes I can. My kitchen, my rules and it was spectacular. :yum::LOL:

We had a loaded green salad too.

Tried Something New

Crispy zucchini fries! They were to die for. Tonight's dinner was grilled lemon rosemary turkey cutlets with baked crispy zucchini fries. The sauce for the fries was called for a sriracha lime mayo. Since there was cayenne in the breadcrumb mixture for the zucchini fries, I used a sweet version of the sriracha. I'm not all that familiar with sriracha... mainly because it seems to come only in a large size bottle, which is too much for just me. But I found small bottles in Mrs. Green's (sort of like a Whole Foods type store). That was a good find. I got the potatoes in the oven, then made the marinade for the cutlets (olive oil, lemon and fresh chopped rosemary). When the grill was heated and the fries starting to brown, I grilled the cutlets. What a yummy meal, and the zucchini fries were super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. And that sauce? Wonderful!

Thin cut pork steaks marinated in fig balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Then grilled. Packet potatoes and onions on the grill. Steamed broccoli and cauliflower. It was about time we had something besides hot dogs! lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom