July 4, 2019 - Independence Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pasta salad (no mayo) is done and chilling. I have a sirloin steak and ground beef ready to go. No one wanted the buns so burgers on the plate, pasta salad and homemade pickles.

Whole Wheat bowtie pasta salad, with tomatoes, black olives, green olives, broccoli chopped fine, diced cooked onion, choice of tomato or balsamic no oil dressing.

Daughter's aunt (my first wife's sister) and uncle have a home in open space outside a close by small town.. We are all going there for an assorted grill of chicken, pork, hot dogs and burgers.. A table of condiments, salads, sides and various desserts will be available too..

The younger set will use the pool and we all will enjoy a wide array of fireworks when the sun goes down.. Being the oldest, I get to sit and enjoy.. ;)

Hope the thunderstorms hold off.. :ermm:

Ross

Last edited:
Ross, I had a friend who was born on the 4th of July and when she was little she thought all the hoopla was for her birthday. Did you feel the same as a kid? It's a good day for a birthday it seems to me. :)

I have a tri tip in the sous vide, and it will be finished on Wilma the searing burner, as usual. Souschef prepared some cabbage for KFC coleslaw and we'll have some Texas garlic toast along with sliced home grown tomatoes.

Brisket, collard greens, black-eyed peas, Mac and cheese.

Attachments

• 2019-07-04 17.30.29.jpg
    2019-07-04 17.30.29.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 122
DD and family came. We had drinks and appetizers then spent an hour or so at the pool. Then I grilled pork kebabs in hoisin and five spice powder. Potato and salad completed the meal. SO made brownie sundaes for us.

Good old American hot dogs on the grill, with a side of potato salad and some fresh fruit.

We had a brief storm, but it is sunny now. So, it will be both hot and humid. :rolleyes:

CD

Himself grilled chicken breasts and corn on the cob while I made a quick chopped romaine and grape tomato salad with buttermilk dressing. I couldn't decide between the TJ's African smoked seasoning or the fines herb breast, so I had a little bit of each - along with one bite of the one with Berbere seasoning just to verify that I put too much seasoning on it.
IMG_20190704_221034040_HDR.jpg

DH smoked a rack of ribs and grilled a couple ears of corn. I made coleslaw and served it up with my homemade watermelon rind pickles and a couple spicy pickles made by our neighbor. Delish. 20190704_195910.jpg

Mostly leftovers today (that lentil salad), but I also grilled 12 thinghs, Chiang Mai style, for tomorrow. Actually, I had to eat one! I also made up the dipping sauces. I was out there getting hot today anyway, so I decided to do the grilling, too. This way, my friends and I can avoid the heat tomorrow, for the most part. I will be making a large batch of Thai curry to go with it, but that's fast.

July Fourth Cook-In...

Angus Burger on an English Muffin with Colby Jack Cheese, Frenchie Green Beans w/ Pearls, Red-Skin Potato Salad...

Muffin Burger with Jack Cheese.jpg

Ross, I had a friend who was born on the 4th of July and when she was little she thought all the hoopla was for her birthday. Did you feel the same as a kid? It's a good day for a birthday it seems to me. :)

I have a tri tip in the sous vide, and it will be finished on Wilma the searing burner, as usual. Souschef prepared some cabbage for KFC coleslaw and we'll have some Texas garlic toast along with sliced home grown tomatoes.

Yes I did.. Then I got married and my new bride told me the truth.. :ohmy::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Ross

We had shredded pork bbq that I slow cooked on Wednesday. Homemade coleslaw and canned baked beans. I had hoped to make my own baked beans but we were painting the living room so it was put off until I have more time. I've not done homemade baked beans myself so want to have the time to do it right and not feel rushed. Strawberry shortcake and watermelon for dessert.

We had shredded pork bbq that I slow cooked on Wednesday. Homemade coleslaw and canned baked beans. I had hoped to make my own baked beans but we were painting the living room so it was put off until I have more time. I've not done homemade baked beans myself so want to have the time to do it right and not feel rushed. Strawberry shortcake and watermelon for dessert.
Are you making them from dry beans or from canned pork and beans? I make these from pork and beans and to me, they're as good as the ones I get from the barbecue restaurant nearby. I make a half recipe for the two of us.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/easy-baked-beans-2302558

I put a dry rub on a 10 pound boneless butt overnight, then skewered it on the rotisserie in the morning, with hickory chips in the smoke box. 7 hours later it hit 205F and had a beautiful bark.

I made potato salad, cucumber salad, and homemade baked beans, and people brought coleslaw, a fruit salad, and some appys.

For desert, I made one large cobbler with fresh cherries on one side and blueberries on the other. Homemade vanilla custard ice cream made it a red-white-blue dessert. The best piece of cobbler was the one in the middle where the cherries and blueberries met.

I have enough leftovers for a week.

Back
Top Bottom