June 1, 2014, What's for Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
Going to do a ham tonight and don't have any whole cloves to stud the darned thing as I usually do.

I do have Star Anise and was wondering if this might be a reasonable substitution?

No, I'm not going to the store! :mad:

I do have ground cloves and thought about putting that into knife pockets in the ham but seeing the Star Anise on the shelf that I don't use that much of I figured it might be a good way to use it up.
Perhaps adding a touch of Allspice with the Star Anise might approximate the clove taste?

Going to use a glaze of Pineapple juice, mustard, brown sugar, and honey.
Just tossing this out there to see what you good folks think about it. ;)

Also for tonight's dinner is beans that are in the crock pot now with chicken stock, molasses,onions, mustard and S&P.

The only other question for you good folk is should I do a spinach salad or grill a zucchini to go with this? :yum:

We are leaving shortly for a graduation celebration where the food and booze will be ample. I predict a light dinner tonight, perhaps some hot and sour soup from the freezer, with or without some wontons on the side.

Zagut, I see no reason that star anise wouldn't work for your ham. Sounds tasty! And why not make both vegetables!

I have no idea what we might have. DH is off helping friends finish the leftover beer keg from yesterday's wedding under the guise of putting away chairs.

Last edited:
Don't know how this started itself as it's own thread but what the hey. :LOL:

Thanks Dawgluver, I'll use the Star Anise and perhaps a touch of allspice.

Do both veggies???

I don't know if my pants will allow me to get in them if I did that. :rolleyes:

Oh well. I'll go to work nekid if I have to. And I'll be able to blame it on you. Rest assured there will be complaints. :D

Have fun Andy. You don't need to worry about the food as long as the booze is ample. ;) Just be sure you're not the one behind the wheel. :)

Zag, you could put a pinch or two of ground Clove in your glaze. Clove is a strong flavor, so I would use it sparingly. I like studding the ham with whole clove two, but since it's whole it doesn't overpower, unless you crunch one!

Oh! Our dinner? Something with pork, haven't decided yet ;)

Somebunny, I hear what your saying about cloves being strong. That's why I'm staying away from using ground cloves. I like the flavor cloves give but I don't want an overpowering flavor of cloves that ground cloves could give.

Don't know if I want to add it to the glaze because I'd like to keep that as a separate taste to add to the ham's taste. Not to mention that any leftover glaze might be used for other dish's my simple mind see's where they might fit. ;)

Something Pork?
Hope it turns out well for ya. :yum:
I'll only suggest a touch of pineapple flavor because that's where I'm headed tonight. :chef:

Steve has been out of town all weekend and by phone he's requested home made pizza for dinner tonight.

I have lots of topping possibilities so those will be determined later.

Macaroni cheese. Sounds boring but I really fancied it tonight. Just about to take it out of the oven. It's 11pm so a bit late for dinner but I had to nip out at 9pm to see Horse who is not himself today. Fortunately, he was eating and drinking and the other thing so I left him to it.

Tonight is whole wheat fettuccine with sauteed garlic, red bell pepper, and mushrooms. Topped with Parmigiano Reggiano.

39817-albums933-picture5941.jpg
Ran out of tomato sauce, instead I spread mashed potato's over the dough & added curled bacon,asparagus ,cheese,onion,tomato,garlic. To my surprise it was really good.

Last edited:
We are off our very restricted diet and can have what we want...sorta!

Anyway, I am making pasta with Italian sausage and fresh tomatoes with Caesar (for me) and Greek (for TB) salads on the side.

For dessert we are having some fresh strawberries!

Ran out of tomato sauce, instead I spread mashed potato's over the dough & added curled bacon,asparagus ,cheese,onion,tomato,garlic. To my surprise it was really good.

S&P that sounds and looks great! I found a recipe for a cauliflower pizza crust I am going to try. Your mashed potatoes sound intriguing!

We are leaving shortly for a graduation celebration where the food and booze will be ample. I predict a light dinner tonight, perhaps some hot and sour soup from the freezer, with or without some wontons on the side.

Neither of us felt all that good after eating at the graduation party. Soup was off the table (so to speak). SO ate a couple of buttered rolls and I had a bowl of L/O pasta salad.

Eye round (prime cut YUM, was tender and juicy) roast, baked taters with butter and sour cream (mixed with chives), steamed baby spinach, burgundy pan gravy.

I had a tomato and sprout salad with a scoop of tuna salad made with Italian Dressing.

I wasn't too inspired today after making a rhubarb upside down cake. I didn't bother turning the pork steak into anything extraordinary, just browned, simmered and made onion gravy, mashed potatoes and steamed cauliflower. Am looking forward to the cake ;)ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1401679084.840100.jpg

We had crawfish egg rolls, out of Emeril's NNO book and an Asian inspired cold noodle salad.

Back
Top Bottom