June 1, 2019 - World Milk Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
In 2001, the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) selected June 1st as World Milk Day, which celebrates the important contributions of the dairy sector to sustainability, economic development, livelihoods and nutrition.

https://worldmilkday.org/

I recently read "Milk" by Mark Kurlansky. It was a pretty interesting read, covering the variety of animal milks humans have consumed over the centuries and around the world, not to mention making cheeses as a way of preserving milk. We take the safety of milk for granted, but I was surprised at how many people died from drinking milk before pasteurization came into practice.

Dinner tonight will be grilled shrimp, grilled asparagus, and basmati rice with sun dried tomatoes and scallions. I'll have some cheese as an appetizer to celebrate milk day.

Unless plans change, we'll have fried cod. The fish department will be frying it up fresh for me while I shop for the accompaniments - corn on the cob and Tater Tots, Himself's favorite. If I'm feeling less than lazy, I might use some of our milk and make chocolate pudding for dessert.

I've always loved milk. In particular, I like the brand name Fairlife non fat, lactose free milk.
Speaking of non pasteurized milk, I nearly died from drinking it in Mexico many years ago.

I'm making Filipino Chicken Adobo with coconut "milk" which of course isn't really milk. It will be served over Lo Mein noodles.

Last edited:
My plan is to toss a burger on the grill, to be served on a ciabatta bun with some cheese, lettuce and spicy mayo. Double fried fries on the side. Basic June food.

I sniff the strawberries every time I go to the store, just waiting for that peak of season sweetness I know is just about here. We are also about a week from Texas peach season.

CD

Last edited:
Salad and purchased chicken and prosciutto tortellini served with a brown butter sage sauce with parm.

Attachments

• 2019-06-01 17.34.49.jpg
    2019-06-01 17.34.49.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 126
We ordered subs. I was thinking of making a salad with eggs, but it's too chilly for that to be appealing.

For tonight's dinner I grilled some kielbasa, made a spinach and cheese bake and SO made us salads.

Well, plans delayed, but not canceled. Texas summer pop-up thunderstorm. Nothing new. I'm not in the middle of a big lake on my boat, this time, so no big deal. Been there, done that -- it sucks.

CD

Good looking and sounding dinners.

It's been kind of a dark and gloomy Saturday here today and I was fighting the urge to take a nap. :sleep: I ended up with breakfast for dinner - mushroom and asparagus omelet, a couple of sausage links, toasted sourdough with apricot jam, and watermelon.

Family coming over again, southern fried chicken, fries and salads. Should keep everybody happy. Desserts prolly store bought loaf n custard.

Russ

Family coming over again, southern fried chicken, fries and salads. Should keep everybody happy. Desserts prolly store bought loaf n custard.

Russ

It's our first day back home in Arizona, and I'm whipped!
We didn't get back to the house until almost midnight last night,
put away a few things and toddled off to bed about 130-2am.

Today I went freezer diving and came up with this:

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01157.jpg

that'll do until we make it to the store for supplies

I've always loved milk. In particular, I like the brand name Fairlife non fat, lactose free milk.
Speaking of non pasteurized milk, I nearly died from drinking it in Mexico many years ago.

I'm making Filipino Chicken Adobo with coconut "milk" which of course isn't really milk. It will be served over Lo Mein noodles.

You do have to be careful when in a foreign country. When I lived in Washington State, there was a small farm not too far from me. They sold raw milk. Right from the cow that morning. I tasted it and it was delicious. So I bought a half gallon. It was so creamy. At that time you could buy raw milk providing it was placed under refrigeration immediately after collecting it from the cow. Would I do it today? No! After two days of it sitting in the fridge, I tossed what was left in the bottle.

Poo loved it also. I would only buy a quart at a time though. I think it was the raw milk that caused him to grow more than six feet.

Pirate after I stopped nursing him, was allergic to cows milk. I had to buy goats milk for him for about six months. Dang, that stuff was expensive. Little by little I exposed him to whole cow's milk mixed in with the goats milk. Today, he can down a gallon all by himself.

How many of us old timers remember when the milkman brought milk with the cream floating on the top? I always got to lick the lid.

Last edited:
It's been kind of a dark and gloomy Saturday here today and I was fighting the urge to take a nap. :sleep: I ended up with breakfast for dinner - mushroom and asparagus omelet, a couple of sausage links, toasted sourdough with apricot jam, and watermelon.

Nuthin' wrong with any of that, except fighting that nap urge. I hope you lost that fight. :)

CD

You do have to be careful when in a foreign country. When I lived in Washington State, there was a small farm not too far from me.
Although Washington State might seem like a foreign country to a New Englander, it is actually part of the U.S. :)

But if you live in New Hampshire, Massachusetts does seem like a foreign country, though.

Back
Top Bottom