Junior IronChef DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Why not get our kids involved in the kitchen, let them be the chefs, creators, inventors while having fun with food??? We all love to cook so why not instill some of that to our kiddos? This thread is for you JUNIOR CHEFS!!!

This is a cooking challenge between you and a sibling or friend. A new "secret ingredient" will be posted every week and you and your opponent will take the challenge of recreating it to something fabulous and delicious!!! Research and read up on cooking books, magazines, cooking shows is totally allowed. So go ahead and get started....this week's secret ingredient is:

Rice (examples: fried rice, casseroles, Spanish rice, dirty rice, rice pudding - rice desserts, etc)

Remember to post your recipe and outcomes of your dish! Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
I'm challenging my 10 year old sister tonight. Our two secret ingredients are cheese and chocolate. We're making an appetizer and a chocolate dessert. Our Dad, Mom and little brother will be the judges. We will also make a rice dish as well and post it some time this week. We will post our recipes later. Thanks for coming up with this idea Mom. It's fun.

Last edited:
My brother decided not to challenge me on the cheese appetizer last night but I put melted mozarela cheese in some baked wontons that I put together to form a flower then I added some fresh basil and chopped tomatoes to decorate it. My mom and I had a competition on chocolate desserts. I won. Everybody liked mine better. She made a chocolate mousse tart with strawberries on top and a mixed berry sauce. I made chocolate mousse wontons. When my mom fixes the camera we will put our pictures on here.Chocolate Mousse Wontons6 to 8 wontons (potsticker) wrapperstablespoon honeytablespoon coffee (liquid)teaspoon sugar1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1 cup light cool whip1/2 cup melted chocolate chips (semi-sweet)chocolate syrupMix the honey and coffee together. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in another small bowl. Brush the wontons with honey and coffee and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. Bake on 400 degrees for only 5 minutes.Mix the cool whip with the melted chocolate. Put it in a ziplock bag, cut a hole in a corner and squeeze out the chocolate mousse in a circle motion on the wontons, about one fourth cup of it on each wonton. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.The wontons were a little hard so I will use puff pastry or filo dough next time.My mom will post her chocolate recipe later.

Here's my recipe for the Chocolate Mousse Tart:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup chocolate chips
3 egg yolks

Mix all ingredients, except the egg yolks, in a food processor until it reflects a pea size texture. Add the egg yolks and process just until all comes together. Wrap in plastic forming into a ball (don't kneed only put all together into a flat 1-inch circle/disk). Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Meanwhile work on these ingredients for the filling:
12 oz. semi-sweet choc. chips
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon calua (Irish Cream liquor)
2 tablespoons strong liquid coffee

In double boiler melt the chocolate, place aside to cool at room temperature. With electric mixer whip cream until stiff peak forms, add calua and coffee and blend. Fold the cooled chocolate carefully just until blended. Refrigerate until ready to fill tart.

Roll out the dough (using flour to keep from sticking) in a 9 or 10 inch circle and assemble in tart pan evenly. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Let the tart shell cool completely (I placed mine in fridge to cool faster).

Fill the tart shell evenly with the chocolate mousse filling and top with fresh sliced strawberries or whole, fresh raspberries and mixed berry sauce.

Mixed berry sauce:
1 cup frozen mixed berries (ie. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
1/2 cup sugar (or more if you like it extra sweet)

Bring both to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool at room temperature. Serve the sauce over the chocolate mousse tart. DELICIOUS! Enjoy!

Wow i cant to challenge Krysten to this! Although maybe i wont tell her the secret ingrediant until we start and give me a head start :angel:

Nah ill be nice. Might even be a good idea to pass onto my hospitality teacher for some sort of prac or something for the class to do for fun

Luv Kim:angel:

Hi Kim!
Who's Krysten? My son, who's 12, and daughter, who's 10, are challenging each other on rice this week. My son is working on Spanish rice and my daughter will be doing a rice pudding with fruits and nuts in it. They will post the winning recipe on here later. Good luck to you and Krysten! And let us know how it all turned out.

Im Krysten. The cheese lovers are 2 people and there The Veronicas lovers as well(the band, with the twin sisters, there from Australia) Anyway. The 2 people are kim and krysten. Were great friends who are going to the Veronicas concert together on the 6th of august YAY we got the tickets yesterday.

luv Krysten

By all means, join in the fun Bugs! Practice makes perfect. The more you work at it the better you'll become in the kitchen. Trust me.

Hi Krysten!
Are you on for a junior "rice" cooking challenge on here? Challenges, recipes, winners, photos, etc are due by Friday, July 7th. I will be posting a new secret recipe each week. So find a challenger! Hope you have lots of fun at the Veronicas concert!

jrironchef said:
I'm challenging my 10 year old sister tonight. Our two secret ingredients are cheese and chocolate. We're making an appetizer and a chocolate dessert. Our Dad, Mom and little brother will be the judges. We will also make a rice dish as well and post it some time this week. We will post our recipes later. Thanks for coming up with this idea Mom. It's fun.
Cheese and chocolate? The only good cheese and chocolate combo I've ever had is chocolate cheesecake. And trust me, I've tried to make the two work together many times.

Banana Brain said:
Cheese and chocolate? The only good cheese and chocolate combo I've ever had is chocolate cheesecake. And trust me, I've tried to make the two work together many times.

Cheese for the appetizer and chocolate for dessert. They had two challenges going on at the same time.

The challenge is on. I beat my sister on making rice. I made some Spanish rice with lots of spices, bell peppers and poblanos for extra flavor. My sister made a rice pudding with cinnamon sticks, milk, heavy whipping cream, cornstarch and sugar. They all ate that rice dessert but me. I don't care for it.

Alright you junior chefs out there. This week's secret ingredient is "POTATOES". [Anything from scalloped, roasted, mashed, casseroles, etc goes.] Have fun and enjoy the cooking challenge! Remember to post your recipes, or at least the results, pictures and comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom