Ketchup's Bad Rap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the welcome.

I really don't think ketchup gets a fair shake, though. Like, jokes aside... it is a legitimate sauce. It goes really well on fries and some kinds of sandwich, and even on steak it is good. I don't know why putting ketchup on steak is frowned upon. It doesn't mask the taste- you can still taste the steak through the ketchup IMO. Also, it's a great base for other sauces (I make a really good ribs sauce using ketcup).

Curious why you think it gets a bad rap? Heinz sells millions of bottles a year, and that's just one brand! It's in the pantries (if not on the table) of most American homes, and it's almost impossible that you won't be asked -- in even the finest restaurants -- whether you want ketchup with your steak, and especially fries!

Personally, I think it's awful stuff. Waaaaaaaaaaay too sweet to be edible as a condiment, and the commercial stuff is LOADED with corn syrup. :ohmy: :wacko:

Captain.Sassy said:
Sure, many American cooks will publicly admit to ketchup's versatility as a condiment, to its adaptability as a base for other sauces, and to the fact that ketchup, nearly alone among sauces, has remained virtually unchanged for over 1500 years.

I'm curious what your source is for this information. Ketchup has changed dramatically over the past 400 years... Morphing from an Asian/Chinese fish sauce of sorts (no tomatoes etc) to the tomato, corn syrup goop of today! Also, what is your source for its origins dating back 1500 years!!

Thanks & Welcome

WRT 1500 years of ketchup: it's an estimate based on the apex of the Mayan civilization. If you study the Mayans, you will realise that they had ketchup back then.

As for a bad rap... yes, ketchup has a bad rap. Many restaurateurs will look down on ketchup, as will chefs.

Robo410- you're crazy. Mustard on fries is an abomination.

And to whoever puts ketchup on the side to dip the sandwich- I do that too.

And ketchup on hot dogs is great. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? I dunno. I've tried the 'just mustard' route and I don't plan on going back.

Anyways, I'm going up to the cottage this weekend, which means barbecued ribs! (yeah!) Old-timey barbecue too, as in burn down a big bonfire and cook over the embers (yeah!) And my rib sauce (oh yeah!)

- ketchup
- red vinegar
- honey
- salt and pepper
- whiskey
- (all ingredients vary to taste)

man my mouth is watering right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Captain.Sassy said:
If you study the Mayans, you will realise that they had ketchup back then.

I'm very interested in this...What documentation are you refering to that would cause me to realize that the Mayans had ketchup at the apex of their civilization 1500 years ago??? I concede that they may have grown and cooked with the fruit...but Ketchup?

freak!

everyone point at jeekinz and say "hoot hoot hoot" until he stops using ketchup on hot dogs.

Is it me, Buckytom, or does your head color look eerily like a plastic bottle of French's Mustard?:ROFLMAO:

( Jeeze, come to think of it, mine does too)

Last edited:
A brief history of ketchup

there seems to be no bad wrap, just a matter of opinion.

and here..

All About Ketchup (Catsup)
Interesting Facts about Ketchup

• 97% of American homes keep ketchup in their kitchen.
  • Each person eats about 3 bottles a year.
  • A tablespoon of ketchup has 16 calories and no fat.
  • 4 tablespoons of ketchup have the nutritional value of an entire ripe, medium tomato.
  • In 1992, ketchup sales were $723 million.
  • As with wines, there are good and bad ketchup years depending on how sweet and flavorful the tomato harvest.
  • Most brands are made from tomato paste or tomato concentrate, boiled down in late summer when tomatoes are harvested, and used throughout the year to cook the final product.
  • Ketchup made in summer is made directly from ripe tomatoes.
  • Ketchup is great for restoring the glow to copper pots and pans. The acid in ketchup removes tarnish and brings out the shine.

And where did you get the Mayan information? Asia was the birthplace of catsup, at least that was my understanding.

Ketchup on burgers, fries and pork sausages, only. I grew up in Chicago where we never would put it on hot dogs.

Naw..Naw Miss Elf...It's reach for the chocolate milk shake/malt!!:LOL:

You're not going to believe this...but I had written "or a chocolate shake" and then deleted it!!!!! I'm with you on this one - and those fries have to be kind of extra salty too when scooping in a shake.:LOL:

And where did you get the Mayan information? Asia was the birthplace of catsup, at least that was my understanding.

wwwPERIODchina.org.cn/english/MATERIAL/15452PERIODhtm

The Chinese may well have brought back early ketchup recipes from the Americas.

I can't post URLS yet. Take the 'PERIOD' out and replace it with '.' to have your entire view of ancient cooking completely upended.

that is fine, and i know of the thought. the ancient Asians were a sea faring community, they have even found what look to be ancient anchors, similar to what was used up until recently...

any who, then it would still be from Asia, not the Mayans. And nowhere among those relics were a Heinz bottle;). Just my opinion.

The theory is full of speculation, conjecture, and old fashion guesswork. The website itself states no hard proof/evidence has been found to support such a claim! This is simply an undocumented story intended to improperly create a link between two Ancient civilizations, their cultures etc…What am I missing? I saw no mention of Ketchup. For now, my Humble Opinion will remain with Ketchup having its origins in Asia.
Thanks for an interesting dialogue!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Ketchup; that red, sweet, tomato and corn syrup sauce with a hint of cloves, some salt, and a couple of other things is pretty good stuff, but due to the high corn syrup amount, not very heathy. But there is a place in my pantry, and on my table for the upbiquitous sauce.

In the Phillipines, ketchup is made from bananas. And in reality, kectchup is to sauce in Asian and tropical islands what salsa is to South America. It comes in many and wonderous varieties and is made from many different things. Only in the U.S. has it become so standardized.

I enjoy U.S style ketchups with the right hot dogs, and spicy-brown mustards with especially good hot dogs. Sometimes I'll put it on a burger, and sometimes not, as my mood dictates.

The same is true of everything I put ketchup on. I don't use it exclusively, and sometimes it's used in combination with other condiments.

I've seen people put U.S. style ketchup on some pretty strange things, like french toast, ham sandwiches, ice cream, pickles, etc. But then again, I've seen people dip their french fries into some very strange things as well.

Food is something different to all people. But there are a few things, that in my humble opinion, scream for ketchup. These include breaded shrimp (but horseradish has to be mixed into the ketchup), kielbasa and polish sausage, and grilled batwurst sausage. The sweetness of the ketchup ballances the saltiness of the sausage, and marrys well with the crunchy breadding on the shrimp. Oh, and fresh brook trout, dusted with flour and salt, and pan fried until golden brown need ketchup, sometimes. If you haven't had fresh perch fillets, cooked in butter and put between two slices of bread with fried potato rounds and ketchup, then you are missing out.

And that's all I'm going to say about that!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I want to try ketchup now! I always just thought it was a different word for tomato sauce. But all the references to corn syrup make me think it must be something rather different!

well, in your corner of the world, it might just be the same as ketchup.

Yes... although I'd never describe tomato sauce as sweet in any way. I mean, it might have a bit of sugar in it, but it's by no means sweet.

Anyway, if they are the same thing, it has no bad rap here! I wouldn't put it on a steak, but that's a taste thing. We always have a bottle handy.

Back
Top Bottom