"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a quote from the NY Times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
salsa -- a retailing category that includes picante, enchilada, taco and similar chili-based sauces -- took the condiment crown, outselling ketchup by $40 million in retail stores.
and another from ABC News...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC News
Salsa now outsells ketchup, Barrera notes, and tortillas outsell Wonder Bread.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanosarah View Post
La la la la la..... It's got plenty of supporters.
But are they athletic?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #53
Master Chef

Can i get some salsa and chips while I watch the debate?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
boy are they missing out. salsa is delicious on back bacon, doughnuts, beaver, and hockey pucks.
Nicely done, B.T. Ketchup is especially good on hockey pucks that have been brined to help tenderise them a bit, and then cooked on a covered BBQ, low and slow, with lots of maple leaves to produce copious amounts of smoke. This of course is best done in the snow, to help prevent overcooking from too much heat, oh, wait, there's always snow somewhere in the Great White North..

And just what are the hockey pucks of which we speak, anything resembling a flat round disk that is cooked North of the U.S./Canadian border. Sometimes they resemble burgers, sometimes doughnuts, somtimes tournedo, salmon patties, etc., etc. The technique was created as hard rubber wasn't always available for true hockey puck manufacture, especially during WW1, and WW2 when rubber was a rationed material. Our Northern freinds needed something to play hockey with and so created the cullinary version, which if the real thing couldn't be found, the cullinary substitue could be used to replace it. Sadly, all Canadians are taught to cook "hockey pucks" from a very young age and cannot make a tender, round, disklike anything. Even the pancakes are scary.

Ahhhh, just kidding. I know several Canuks that cook just fine, great even. But then again, I dnow a few that make hockey pucks.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Uhhhh wow so this was pretty uncalled for
Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #56
Master Chef

Sanosarah; Please don't take offense. I live on the Michigan/Ontario border, way up North here in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I'm just poking fun at my Northern freinds. The Church I go to was in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario for 15 years, and I have a good many freinds on the Canada side of the river. I really couldn't respect any country or people more than those freinds. But we do occasionally tease each other. I try to do it ins such an outladish way as to make it obvious that I'm jsut poking fun, and expect to get back as good as I give. Guys just seem to do that kind of thing.

So, don't take my last post seriously at all. Know that I truly enjoy Canada, and the U.S. And smile at the silliness. As for Canadian cooking, one of my favorite cooking partners, a man & his wife with whom we share a yearly New Years Eve feast lives in SSM Ont. We honestly get together several times a year and cook up some very good food. He was also my partner for our Church's annual pancake breakfast. And the corn roasts over on St. Joseph's Island, that were another annual event attended by better than a hundred church members every year, were legendary.

Smile and be happy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

:) Glad to hear it
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #58
Head Chef

Hey he he eh eh eh,,,,, Just sos you knows. My mom is Canadian, all her family is canadian, we are canucks to some degree. I love my northern neighbors, heck, lots of 'em are my relatives.
Speaking of Canadian foods--anyone tried poutine?

**blissful is a known drifter of threads**
Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #59
Sous Chef

What would meatloaf be without ketchup?
I've been using the reduced sugar version for awhile now. I also use tomato sauce with a little brown sugar on meat loaf.
Didn't Ronald Reagan back the school lunch programs on counting ketchup as a serving of vegetables? (even though it's a fruit)
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
What would meatloaf be without ketchup?
Could it become meatloaf with salsa?

That's what I wanna try next, a meatloaf with peppers and spices and salsa on top... maybe made with Mexican sausage?