"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Here's a link for some ideas. Williams-Sonoma is one of my favorites. While you're at the site, take a peek at the Christmas Dinner too. Hope you enjoy.

http://content2.williams-sonoma.com/...x.cfm?type=ent

Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Here's a link for some ideas. Williams-Sonoma is one of my favorites. While you're at the site, take a peek at the Christmas Dinner too. Hope you enjoy.

http://content2.williams-sonoma.com/...x.cfm?type=ent
I too love Williams-sonoma...you don't even have to buy their cookbooks anymore, they're mostly on line! Thanks for the picture...I'm gonna print it and hang it on the front door...let everyone know what's for dinner!!!. Bet I make them check out the turkeys, huh?

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Over the top, huh? This is a dinner I did for DH's boss in NYC and a party of 8 - It's got to be the most 'blue sky' thing I ever did, and boy did I have fun!

DINNER MENU

~Hors D’Oeuvres~

Assorted puff pastry cheese straws and palmiers

Celery barquettes with Stilton cheese and toasted walnuts

Asparagus tips with lemon tarragon aioli in phyllo cups

Shrimp Cocktail with vodka/cilantro cocktail sauce on endive spears

Bourbon cured salmon on black bread with chive cream cheese or green peppercorn mustard

~Appetizer~

Seared ‘everything’ tuna, with wasabi aioli, served on a bed of mizuna dressed with soy-ginger sauce

~Salad~

Baby arugula with shaved asiago, toasted walnuts, and pears, with a vanilla-pear vinaigrette

~Main Course~

Pepper-crusted tenderloin with Jack Daniels Hunter’s sauce

Grilled free-range Cornish Game Hens with maple bourbon glaze (2)

Roasted shallot confit

Horseradish-chive mashed potatoes

Roasted garlic-rosemary potatoes (1)

Assorted organic steamed baby vegetables, with shallot/herb butter or margarine

Assorted fresh baked rolls and butter

~Dessert~

Lemon apricot tart, with an apricot brandy drizzle

Lemon sorbet

Assorted black-tie truffle platter
Marm..are you doing any of this next week? How do you roast the organic veggies, all at once? drizzeled w/evoo??? and the confit. Thanks for the ideas, I'm only making cheese straws (to go with the drinks) for teasers, don't want anyone to get too much before the main event. May do a crawfish bisque for a starter, and serve the sides w/the ham/turkey. thanks.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Hi, Southerncook -

The baby veggies were steamed, not roasted. The potatoes were tossed with a mixture of s/p, chopped rosemary and minced garlic, then roasted on a sheet pan at 450 til the edges were brown and crispy - this can be done a day in advance and reheated in the oven.

The shallot confit was peeled shallots in a buttered casserole dish, with EVOO, fresh thyme sprigs, s/p, and a little balsamic, roasted at 450 til they were soft and the tops were a pretty brown.

These folks took their time with the dinner, about 1 1/2 hours for the hodos with drinks, then they sat down at table, and it was about 2 - 2 1/2 hours before they finished, so the meal was pretty spread out!

I really did have a blast doing it!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Hmmm i was thinking of having some turkey of course asian style. soy sauce, a little black vinegar, some sugar, and garlic. and let it sit in the turkey. then you roast. Add some stuffing. Ill have mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and some shrimp cocktails. rice will be served. dessert will be a cheesecake possibly strawbeery cheesecake. and of course a pie.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That sounds good masterchef - I like to do a mixture of dark soy sauce, water, star anise, rock candy, ginger, spring onion, sherry, garlic, sesame oil, and brown sugar. Also keep some matchstick cut giinger and spring onion in the cavity.

I like to put this mixture in a wok and cook a whole chicken on it's side basting for about 30 minutes, flip it over, baste the other side for about 30 minutes (3# chicken) - it's is deeeeeeelish.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I'd buy out the dining room at the Ritz Carlton and invite all my family and friends.