Kitchen scents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Psiguyy said:
Not a huge fan of cumin, although I often use curry powder. Sometimes, cumin smells like an armpit. Am I the only one who thinks so?

I love the taste but to smell it straight out of the container I have to totally disagree with you - no WAY does it smell like an armpit - it smells like dirty feet :oops: :P

kitchenelf said:
Psiguyy said:
Not a huge fan of cumin, although I often use curry powder. Sometimes, cumin smells like an armpit. Am I the only one who thinks so?

I love the taste but to smell it straight out of the container I have to totally disagree with you - no WAY does it smell like an armpit - it smells like dirty feet :oops: :P

ROFLMAO!!!!

Coffee, sizzling bacon, fresh baked bread, garlic and shallots roasting in evoo, onions and garlic sauteing. However, when you think of it when you are hungry it all smells good.

mudbug said:
I am grieved to have differences with psiguyy and kitchenelf on cumin. I love its earthy aroma!

I think it is an acquired taste, mudbug, one which has eluded me. I also do not like its relative corriander and the leafy green stuff.

mudbug said:
If you are referring to cilantro, that's an uphill climb for me, too. Love the taste in sparing amounts, but that's about it.

Yes mudbug, cilantro. I get so p...................ed at the checkers in the markets, I buy Italian parsley and they always say oh I see you like cilantro. NNOOOOOOOO it is parsley. Anyway it always bothers my stomach. I usually substitute parsley or just leave out.

But I absolutely LOVE the taste of cumin - and cilantro - yummmmm - it's just, well, smell it - you'll see ;)

earthy - that's a good description - kinda' like your highschool sweetie coming in off a football field - he too has that "earthy" smell :mrgreen: ;)

elfie, I deliberately opened my little jar and sniffed before posting. I still like it. (But you're right about the high school sweetie thing too. Moths to a flame....)

This time of year I like to put some cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, bay leaf, whole allspice into a small crockpot and half fill with water and let it rip all day. I find it very comforting.

mudbug said:
I am grieved to have differences with psiguyy and kitchenelf on cumin. I love its earthy aroma!

I never said I didn't like the taste. I like the taste, especially in curry and chili.

It's like harm ha, the Chinese fermented shrimp paste. I love foods cooke with the stuff, but and this is a BIG BUT, it smells like chicken poop when it's cooking.

debthecook said:
Apple pie baking.

Deb, you've got the right idea. I just love the scent of apple pie baking.

I love the smell of garlic as I'm making spaghetti. Any bread baking in the oven gives off a good scent. I also like the idea of putting spices in a crockpot. Have never thought to actually do it.

I gotten to like the smell of popcorn that permeates our whole house. The smell of popcorn means that my husband is happy munching popcorn while he is immersed in a good book at the dining room table. :D

italian sausage being grilled or fried... of course with peppers and onions

psiguyy, I think cumin just may be my favorite spice.
I have not thought of it as resembling my husbands underarms however. :cry:
The above mentioned are all wonderful to my nose.
My favorite would be bread baking or in the machine.
I cooked all day long the other day, chicken and dumplings from scratch. I can't tell you the smile on my face every time I had stepped outside to return to that aroma.
Also, any sweet cookies or cakes or pies in the oven.
Mostly though, a huge pot of home made, all day long cooking, tomato sauce from scratch. Simmer low on stove, all day, and everyone that walks into your house prays to be invited to dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom