"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef

You remind me of my eldest daughter, Little Miss J. She had an apartment from junior year in college (only 3 years ago), and she was the only one who cooked. They all loved her food, and she made mostly everday kinds of things like meatloaf or meatballs and mashed potatoes with veggies. Simple things. The aroma from her cooking wafted upstairs and the one of the guys who lived there came down one night to deliver or return something and said he'd smelled the food and thought he'd died and gone to heaven. My middle daughter finds it difficult (gross) to handle raw meat, which cuts out a lot of different dishes for her.
You will surely have a great time here!

Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I always seem to get stuck in the kitchen where ever I go....so I guess everyone I know can't cook...or they "convieniently" forget how to when the chef is around.....pfffffffff. ;-)

Old 06-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

It's the intimidation factor. "How can I cook for a professional chef? He'll hate what I make."
Old 06-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
^^^

But they know, i cook x amount of stars, and eat NO star... I am a firm believer, it ALWAYS tastes better when someone else cooks it. heck, I'm down for a 10oz Burger with Gouda, bacon , and red onion, 6 out of7 nights aweek.

I think they like to pawn it off on me?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
This is not about someone who can not cook, but my cousin has a client who owns a town house in downtown Washington DC and NYC, neither townhouse has a kitchen. The DC place they had remoldeled to eliminate the kitchen, the place in NYC came with no kitchen. Is this a trend??
omg no kitchen - where do they put the fridge? and the kettle? or don't they have one?!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I was in the Washington DC town house before it was remoldeled, it was a four floor apartment with the kitchen taking up most of the third floor. It was made into two, two floor apartments. The wife never did cook, the husband made smoothies only. I am hoping they put in a beverage bar at least, the stove/cooker/range and kitchen area was eliminated to create more living space. I can't imagine living without a kitchen.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

Actually, I heard of that trend. It was some show on Publick Radio couple of years ago, they were talking about Manchaten, and how people opt for small microwave oven or a toaster, but no kitchen, justa small refrigerator. If I had mony I'd opt for huge comerecial/restaraunt style kitchen, but that's just me.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #18
Master Chef

I think I said it on another thread, but I have a freind who claims she is going to make a dust ruffle for her stove. Her POSSLQ does all the cooking. A lot of people, women in particular, get so they hate cooking because of a slew of fussy-eating spouse, kids, freinds, relatives. It becomes a matter of not being able to please anyone, and the effort just isn't worth it. One kid decided to become a vegetarian, one person is on Atkins, one person has diverticulitis, one has allergies, one won't touch anything spicy or hot. I even met a man who didn't believe food should be cooked to a specific heat. If you are raised in a household like that, you're unlikely to develop a love of cooking. I love to cook; but a good reason I do is that my mother did and I always have an appreciative audience. It's a pleasure to cook for people who send lots of love your way for doing it. If I had to cook for some women I know's families (sorry, bad grammar but don't know a better way to write it) I'd quit. I know husbands who actually trained their kids to insult their wives' cooking. I know this sounds sexist, it is because of experience and my age group. The husbands would do something flashy in the kitchen every few weeks then wonder why their wives (who for the most part had jobs outside the home as well) didn't like to cook -- even though they were making 3 meals a day all the other days. Luckily I think this situation is getting better; I now know lots of men who do the cooking. But a lot of people don't cook (I won't say "can't" because they don't want to) don't because of what they've seen -- drudgery, not joy.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
Senior Cook

omg - am so glad I have had nearly all positive cooking experiences and an appreciative audience!

If I went through some of the experiences that you mentioned Clare I don't think I would like cooking either.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
My middle daughter finds it difficult (gross) to handle raw meat, which cuts out a lot of different dishes for her.
I must confess I am the same way... I have a boxful of disposable rubber gloves for this purpose, and most of the time I use filleted or minced portions to minimize the handling. If not, my partner Cristiano takes care of the business, including cleaning fish... thank god he volunteers for it!!