"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 06-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Know anyone that cant cook?

Do you know anyone that either can't cook at all or chooses not to cook at all?

I thought that everyone could cook until I went away to uni. I didn't stay on campus and cooked my own meals. In fact out of all my friends I was the only one that could cook (am not talking about fancy stuff but not even being able to steam vegies or bbq a steak). Previously I'd assumed that even if you didn't learn to cook at home you would pick it up at home ec at school (like plenty of my friends did).

That being said although I love to cook I am no means an expert and have plenty to learn. This forum definetely helping in that department.

Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Master Chef
LOL - Ex-Wives #1 and #2 couldn't boil water without burning it! (actually - that's not that much of a joke ...or that far removed from reality) And both were straight-"A" students.

My sister has some coordination problems (physical disabilities) so cooking is no fun for her ... but she enjoys it the couple of times a year when we get together for family reunion. My Step-Mom used to own a restaurant - but she is 85 - so tossing a TV dinner into the microwave is a major production for her some days. My Daughter ... well, she never liked to cook. My sons, however, love to cook and were both restaurant kitchen managers.

Some people only find joy in cooking in a group setting ... some live to cook, some cook to live, some know the number of the local pizza/chinese takeaway better than they do their parent's number - well, unless they are calling home for money.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef
This is not about someone who can not cook, but my cousin has a client who owns a town house in downtown Washington DC and NYC, neither townhouse has a kitchen. The DC place they had remoldeled to eliminate the kitchen, the place in NYC came with no kitchen. Is this a trend??
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
NO kitchen? Boy.. I'd get tried of going out to eat all the time.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Master Chef
Sure I do know people who can't cook, my wife to begin with.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Cook
My EX-D-I-L could not cook by choice. She didn't do girl things like cleaning and laundry. She had a Masters in Psychology. She did not want children either. She had good jobs but always hated them preferring to hang out at the gym but not exercise..... Now at 41 yrs got a boob job, remarried and pregnant. Married an airline pilot so she could travel the world free! There is some justification in life!
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef
My husband cannot cook anything complicated, even the basics are hard for him, so he chooses not to cook. I am a good cook, so I choose to do the cooking around here.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Master Chef
My oldest sister, refuses to cook. They eat out every night. She has all this expensive cookware and gadgets, and doesn't use them but a couple times a year!! I wish she would have a yard sale!! LOL
My niece, her daughter, cooks, but, doesn't like to most of the time. She does when her kids are there for the weekend or in the summer. But she loves food! I can bring her anything to try and she'll eat it. I'm the big cooker in the this family. It may not be some big thing, but, I enjoy cooking and try out new things on them.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
Neither of my daughters is very interested in cooking. My eldest has a very limited repertoire and is not interested in adding to it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I know more people who can't cook than those who can cook. It's just not their thing. I guess pretty much anyone could cook if they really wanted to. They just find it to be so much of a chore & they don't enjoy it. I think one of the reasons that I'm so passionate about cooking is because I have a wonderful captive audience. My husband will try anything & he likes most everything I cook. (Hey, they can't all be winners!) The folks at my church & my co-workers are always so grateful for my efforts. They all keep me trying different things & on a constant search for the next best thing. They all wait to see what I will come up with next. If they weren't so encouraging, I might not be quite as passionate about cooking as I am! I cook for others - it's one way to show my love for them & it's the best way I know how!

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote