Labor Day Week-End...What's Cooking???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its my sons birthday today so on top of the Labor day festivities we have the b-day festivities. I will just be doing some simple grilling, burgers, dogs, churriso, and some other things probably.

I made a jicima salad the other day that came out really good, so I am going to make that again. It was julienne of jicima, fennel, granny smith apples, red onion, and some manderine oranges with lime juice, salt and pepper. It was really refreshing and light, but full of flavor.

yummy foods

ours will be grilled baby backs, ceviche, pico de gallo, and for dessert a vanilla flan.Im excited:ROFLMAO:

burgers and hot dogs on the grill...burgers will be Kadesma's italian style recipe, hot dogs will be topped with leftover pizza sauce/chevon; and marinated green bean salad and grilled potato fries..:)

Nothing special. I have some chicken cutlets leftover from today's dinner so if I get to the store for mozzarella cheese, I'll make chicken parmesan.

going to a gathering for my oldest granddaughter's birthday on mon. it is her birthday. they are cooking pool side, some chicken and burgers. my daughter is taking a potato dish. i am making the bday cake. her request is luscious lemon poke cake. also will make some egg salad dip. the granddaughter is 29. hardly seems possible. looking forward to it big time

I'm in the "nothing special" category. I'd more or less planned our weekend around going to a street dance last night. It was a disaster. The band was terrible. This is to be a family event, and in previous years, it was C&W, Rockabilly, Oldies, Salsa, or something similar. This year it was a band that was what I'd call noise, the children in the crowd couldn't get near the area for dancing (it was so loud that no one could get near it), extra seating (usually bales of hay) was not provided. So now, don't know how I'm going to finish the weekend. I was counting on this community event to meet and greet and enjoy my neighbors. If I'd known it was going to be a bust, I'd have invited a few folk over.

The weather here has been crappy since very early morning. They are calling for showers tomorrow, too. Tonight, it's hot dogs, salad... not sure about french fries yet. Tomorrow, it might be a crock pot meal.

in process making a egg salad dip. the shells were a real mess. i put in ice water, etc. can't make the food processor work to grate them, had to do my hand and cut my finger. almost time to just quit before i throw the whole lot in the trash. lol

in process making a egg salad dip. the shells were a real mess. i put in ice water, etc. can't make the food processor work to grate them, had to do my hand and cut my finger. almost time to just quit before i throw the whole lot in the trash. lol
I'm sorry to hear of your bad cooking experience last night. I have had many, believe me!

One night, I was using a new Pyrex pie plate to make a quiche. It looked delish when I checked it in the oven for doneness. All I did was move the baking sheet, which the dish was on, and the whole glass pie plate shattered from underneath. What a mess!! The whole thing went to the dumpster outside. That dish was part of a set, and the only one I had problems with.

I can't remember what I ended up making that night. It might have been a salad or can of soup.

Hugggs, babe.. I hope it goes better today.

My daughter, her DH and the world's best grandson are coming over for a cookout.

I will be grilling some strip steaks using GB's dry brining method. Along with that we are having pilaf and tossed salad. For dessert, There's a devil's food cake with whipped cream frosting and a lemon chess cake (Scotch's recipe).

Boiled eggs that won't peel are the bane of my existence some days! Last night I had a rather pleasant surprise. I'd spent the afternoon seeding and roasting tomatoes for sauce for the freezer. Unlike some, I do seed to keep the sauce from being watery, but I toss the seeds in a seive over a bowl. By the end of the day, I have some watery but tasty tomato juice. I usually just freeze it and toss it into soup where the watery-ness (word?) won't matter. Well yesterday I reduced it, added some cream, reduced it again, added paprika and used it for pasta sauce. Definitely a repeater, it was so tasty. And this is from the part of the tomato a lot of preservers throw away!

What a great idea Claire. You would have been real popular back in the days when they wasted nothing. Think head cheese, etc.LOL

Back
Top Bottom