"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Cook

Unhappy Lasagna in a crockpot?

Do you all think I could get away with it? I was thinking a simple sauce, basic cheese, and no-bake noodles.....

Here's why: I am taking the dish to a funeral for someone in my church, where I will be helping in the kitchen. We only have two ovens, and are expecting about 300 people. Each of us is bringing a family-sized entree, and a salad or side of some kind. I was hoping to use my crockpot in order to allow more oven space for others. Maybe I could assemble it in the crock part, bake it, and then put the crock in the metal part....

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks!!

nw

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Head Chef

Do they have any electric roasters?
or maybe do a lasagna "goulash" (like the hamburger helper lasagna)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Mr. Greenjeans

It works. I've done it but I was nervous about the noodles so I partially boiled them b4 assembly and added extra water tot he sauce. Just remember though, its still in a crock. It's not going to brown, slice or serve the same way.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Cook

I'm kind of known for my food....guess I'll just hog the oven.....
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywife View Post
I'm kind of known for my food....guess I'll just hog the oven.....
Go on with your foodie self girl!!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

I would try something like this for myself before bringing it to someone else. I vote that you hog the oven. :)
Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

Lasagna works well in the slow cooker. But as was said, the top won't brown. So, a good way to do this dish is to make it overnight in the slow cooker, and then remove the crockery and finish it in the oven. Or, if it make you nervous, just cook it in the removable crock in the oven. That way, when done, you can put it back into its warming container and then take it on site and keep it warm in the slow cooker, in the same cooking vessel it was baked in. The removable crockery will bake things just great in the oven. It is, after all, simply a ceramic baking dish shaped to fit in the warming device, which when fitted together, is what we know as a slow cooker.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

Goodweed - that's not universally true. It depends on your crockpot. The instructions that came with mine clearly state NOT to use it as a cooking vessel independent of the unit - neither in the oven or on a stovetop.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Goodweed - that's not universally true. It depends on your crockpot. The instructions that came with mine clearly state NOT to use it as a cooking vessel independent of the unit - neither in the oven or on a stovetop.
I did not know that. I assumed that crockery was crockery, like an oblong bean pot. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Then NavyWife, by all means, check your appliance directions. I wouldn't want to see any problems occur do to my misinformation. But the lasagna will still work if cooked in the slow cooker, without the oven art.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote