Le Creuset 7 quart Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just ordered a Le Creuset 7 quart Dutch Oven online and got what I think is an excellent price (with tax and shipping the grand total was $123)

Some of the first things I plan on using it for are chili and beef stew. What are some of your favorite recipes that you make in your dutch oven?

I've got a 5.5, probably too small for most, but not really for me. I mainly use it for roast beef or beef stew, chili and soups - things where you benefit from even, consistent heat.

I have a 18qt roaster oven, does that count?I plan on using it during hunting season here. I have 5 guys to feed and I plan on making beef stew and roast turkey and I will do bar b q chicken. I haven't used the roaster yet so I'm kinda looking forword to it. .

I use mine for everything. love it. heavy, but love it anyway. My mother-in-law used to tell me I'd regret buying the stuff,because it's so heavy. I've had the pot you speak of for at least 10 years, and by the time I'm too old to lift it I think I'll have at least 40 years out of it!
Since it can go from cooktop to oven it's great for pot roast, also good for cassoulets (sp), soups, redbeans, spagetti sauce...the list goes on, but if it requires a long cook/simmer time, you've got the pot for it. congratulations!

I've wondered about those... I cook for just myself and my cat so the 5 qt size would probably be better for me...

But I've wondered why I should spend an amount equal to a trip to Hawaii for a $29.95 lodge type cast iron Dutch Oven with a coat of paint.. does painting (enameling it) really add $125 worth of extra value in cookability (is that a word?)...

BTW. I bought one of those Nesco roaster things but with a little convection fan on the top too.. the only one I could find with a convection fan was at QVC and it was 12 quart but the size is fine for me.. I really like it 'cause with the fan, if I use it, it browns things too.

I know those enameled things are really popular though... probably when I learn more about what I'm doing, I'll have to have one of them too :)

I made pot roast in mine (7 qt) over the weekend. I use it for soups, spaghetti sauce, jambalaya, chili, stews, .... frankly I can't think of mush that I don't cook in it!

It's good BECAUSE it's heavy -- being heavy is not a negative.

It's better than regular cast iron becauce the ceramic coating makes it nonreactive, allowing you to cook acidic foods in it (like tomatoes or anything with wine or vinegar) without changing the taste and color of the food.

It's well worth $125, but that's a SUPER price for it.

It's the kind of cookware that your grandkids will inherit and thank you for it.

jennyema said:
I made pot roast in mine (7 qt) over the weekend. I use it for soups, spaghetti sauce, jambalaya, chili, stews, .... frankly I can't think of mush that I don't cook in it!

It's good BECAUSE it's heavy -- being heavy is not a negative.

It's better than regular cast iron becauce the ceramic coating makes it nonreactive, allowing you to cook acidic foods in it (like tomatoes or anything with wine or vinegar) without changing the taste and color of the food.

It's well worth $125, but that's a SUPER price for it.

It's the kind of cookware that your grandkids will inherit and thank you for it.

Yes, this is great cookware, and I use mine all the time, but I can't say it is better than cast iron. I think both types of cookware have their own good qualities.

I use a similar size cast iron pot for deep frying for a crowd, and it is wonderful. For stewing non acidic foods it is incomparable!

I say, have one of each, and enjoy the benefits of both!

Good point on cooking the acid type stuff (tomato sauces, etc.)... even with beer.. I noticed the one time I made chili in my Lodge Dutch Oven using beer.. it tasted YUCK!.. so I assumed it was a reaction of the beer with the bare cast iron...

Well.. I know one of those would look GREAT on my stove... I need some color in my kitchen/dining room/living room anyway.. maybe I'll get a red one :)

Thanks for the reply...

I wasn't implying that heavy is a negative, but if your arthritic you might want to rethink buying the stuff.
about the colors..be careful. if you plan on adding to your set in the future, you might want to get what you can together, cause they discontinue colors. my green is now a tad bluer, and most of the stuff at the outlet store is discontinued colors. I know their red has stayed the course, and the blue..why the messed with my green I'll never know.

SouthernCook is right about the colors. They do change, for the most part.

Even the blue has changed, as I can personally attest to.

But saving money is more impt. and I like a lot of color so I have a mix-n-match bunch. Discontinued colors can be huge bargains.

And tho heavy is good, you are right that some pieces are really heavy. My 9 quart frech oven filled with a huge pot roast and veggies was really heavy ("Good Grief" I thought as I lugged it down to the basement fridge!).

So let me get this right... for real a cast iron dutch oven has its uses like deep frying and chili and baked beans
A enameled cast iron has it's uses for acidic foods
So why would you get a SS or a anodized aluminum roaster

I've really been wanting one, but just can't justify the expense,(other than the fact that I want it!).
I'm hoping that someone will make a half decent knockoff (maybe half the price) and then I may purchase one. I agree with the off taste of certain foods (both acidic and also others) that come from my cast iron pieces. BUT, I love them dearly and won't let them go for anything.

vilasman1 said:
So let me get this right... for real a cast iron dutch oven has its uses like deep frying and chili and baked beans
A enameled cast iron has it's uses for acidic foods
So why would you get a SS or a anodized aluminum roaster

I wouldn't
I stopped using my magnalite when the Dr.'s told my aunt that he thought there was a connection between her cooking in aluminum pots and her severe arthritis. I don't know if magnalite is anodized or not though, but it was enough to scare me from using it.
On the positive side, they used to tell me you could pick up extra iron using a cast iron pot! I guess I don't get that with le creuset..

GB, enjoy your new pot. I have the 5.5 quarts and it weighs a ton when i first got it! But now it doesn't feel so bad as I am cooking with these pots everyday. I love to get the soup pot and amazon has good deals on them right now, but I can't buy anymore till I can find space to put it in my kitchen!
For those who like Lodge, they have the new line Lodge enamel, price more or less same as Le Creuset. I love to get a one in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom