"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

SouthernCook is right about the colors. They do change, for the most part.

Even the blue has changed, as I can personally attest to.

But saving money is more impt. and I like a lot of color so I have a mix-n-match bunch. Discontinued colors can be huge bargains.

And tho heavy is good, you are right that some pieces are really heavy. My 9 quart frech oven filled with a huge pot roast and veggies was really heavy ("Good Grief" I thought as I lugged it down to the basement fridge!).

Old 10-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #12
Senior Cook

So let me get this right... for real a cast iron dutch oven has its uses like deep frying and chili and baked beans
A enameled cast iron has it's uses for acidic foods
So why would you get a SS or a anodized aluminum roaster

Old 10-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

I've really been wanting one, but just can't justify the expense,(other than the fact that I want it!).
I'm hoping that someone will make a half decent knockoff (maybe half the price) and then I may purchase one. I agree with the off taste of certain foods (both acidic and also others) that come from my cast iron pieces. BUT, I love them dearly and won't let them go for anything.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman1
So let me get this right... for real a cast iron dutch oven has its uses like deep frying and chili and baked beans
A enameled cast iron has it's uses for acidic foods
So why would you get a SS or a anodized aluminum roaster
I wouldn't
I stopped using my magnalite when the Dr.'s told my aunt that he thought there was a connection between her cooking in aluminum pots and her severe arthritis. I don't know if magnalite is anodized or not though, but it was enough to scare me from using it.
On the positive side, they used to tell me you could pick up extra iron using a cast iron pot! I guess I don't get that with le creuset..
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

GB, enjoy your new pot. I have the 5.5 quarts and it weighs a ton when i first got it! But now it doesn't feel so bad as I am cooking with these pots everyday. I love to get the soup pot and amazon has good deals on them right now, but I can't buy anymore till I can find space to put it in my kitchen!
For those who like Lodge, they have the new line Lodge enamel, price more or less same as Le Creuset. I love to get a one in the future.