Left over ham bone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the xmas ham bone to make ham and bean soup every year. Do NOT throw that thing away!!!

CD

Attachments

• BHSoupDC.jpg
    BHSoupDC.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 169
Kevin,You can freeze the ham bone for later if you don't want to cook it right now. Still works perfect.

BT, the only close competitor to split pea is ham bone bean soup. I prefer split pea.

If somebody reading this doesn't care for the split pea color, you can make Swedish or Canadian Yellow Pea soup, a brighter yum.

Kevin,You can freeze the ham bone for later if you don't want to cook it right now. Still works perfect.

Yes. I use the Foodsaver to vacuum seal my ham bone and freeze until I'm ready to make my ham and bean soup. I usually make it in January or February, so I could probably just wrap it up tight in cling film, and then put it in a freezer bag, if I didn't have the Foodsaver.

Ham and bean soup is usually made with white beans, like Navy or Great Northern, but I did it once with black beans, and it was very good. Different, but good.

It is also an easy, one-pot meal.

CD

Mom's Ham and Bean Soup recipe Be sure to check my additional notes on post 22.

Ham and Beans and Collard Greens: Fry out a little bacon, remove bacon. Toss chopped collard greens into pot, add a bit of liquid (mild beer, broth, water, etc) and simmer until greens are beginning to get soft. Add a can of drained-and-rinsed beans (I usually use cannellini) and heat. Add bacon back to pot, stir, and serve. Good with thick chunks of rye bread.

If you’re going to use it in the next day or two, go Southern traditional. Here’s a recipe for Hoppin’ John. If you eat it on New Year’s Day, it’s supposed to bring you luck!

Happy New Year!

I was originally thinking ham and brown beans then maybe potato soup with ham but your soups look good. What’s your favourite bean for soup? I have black beans on the shelf

My fave ham bone meal is with navy beans..

I prefer it less soupy, more of a bean and ham dish..

As I grew up with this, one of my grandmothers regular meals, I still put ketchup on it... :wacko: I know, I know, a travesty.. Jeannie rolls her eyes.. :LOL:

Ross

One of our favorites is split pea.

Toss about a pound of split peas in a large covered pot, add lots of coarsely-chopped onion, several bay leaves, along with the bone. Cover with water and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer low and slow until the peas soften. You may have to add some water along the way. Taste for salt about midway. Often the salt from the ham bone will be enough.

Serve with crusty bread.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I grew up with Heinz brown beans but have branched out from from there with soups, etc but sometimes that blast from the past is a treat. Like kd and wieners, mom did weiners and beans but I’ve bumped it up to nice pork and beans

Does anyone do beans or peas, water, spices, etc in a Dutch oven in the oven to simmer away for hours or is it always stovetop?

Bean soup stove top makes sense but a thicker slow roasted bean dish also makes my mouth water

If I did low and slow roast in the oven with a can of brown beans and a can of black beans with the meat on bone what else would you guys do to add to that.

All this talk of ham bone got me jonesin' for some soup! I checked the freezer and guess what I found? A ham bone!

Back
Top Bottom