Leftover prime rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
Does anyone have any good ideas for using up leftover prime rib roast? In the past I have done things like chili and putting it on toast with mushroom gravy, but if y'all have some other ideas I would love to hear them.

My first inclination would be to simply make a roast beef sandwich, plain beef on lightly buttered bread, or marinated in BBQ sauce.
Then there's beef hash served with eggs for breakfast.
But my favorite would be thin sliced and served with just a pinch of salt and eaten just as it is, nothing else, enjoying the full flavor of the beef while relaxing in front of the TV just before bed. :chef:

My first inclination would be to simply make a roast beef sandwich, plain beef on lightly buttered bread, or marinated in BBQ sauce.
Then there's beef hash served with eggs for breakfast.
But my favorite would be thin sliced and served with just a pinch of salt and eaten just as it is, nothing else, enjoying the full flavor of the beef while relaxing in front of the TV just before bed. :chef:

I second that. Just don't reheat it. One of my favorite things about prime rib is cooking it med. rare to perfection. I'd make cold roast beef sandwiches with horseradish or I might lay some room temp. rare slices onto a glorified salad.:yum:

I often do that with tri tip. They always seem to taste better, plain, eaten as leftovers, cold, and thinly sliced. Red wine, cheese and crackers on the side.

I often do that with tri tip. They always seem to taste better, plain, eaten as leftovers, cold, and thinly sliced. Red wine, cheese and crackers on the side.

We do the same with tri tip, RF. I just can't bring myself to heat it up and make it not perfectly rare! Oh yes, rare meat, wine and cheese and crackers....bliss. :yum:

Beef Pot pie

There is a recipe in the NY Times Cookbook for beef pot pie, which my late wife made many times.
Basically, cut up meat chunks, onions, mushrooms, and Heinz Beef Gravy.
The topping is Pillsbury biscuits, but they are baked separately first on a cookie sheet to brown the tops for half the time. They are then placed brown side down over the casserole and cooked the rest of the way.
Otherwise, they will sog if placed on the casserole initially.

Cold, thinly sliced, make au jus and serve on a french baguette for delicious french dip. I like thin sliced red onions and a thin swipe of horseradish before dipping in the hot au jus.

We usually use it for hash or pot pies, though prefer a mashed potato or cauliflower/potato combo topping. Since the meat is already cooked, I cook all the veges, make the gravy (if we don't already have some) then add the meat, let it heat up, and top with the hot potato mix, then under the broiler to brown the potato topping.

Machaca is my favorite way to use it .
I would provide a link but I am on my iPod
I googled it and it not quite the same.

Cube your meat and sauté with onions, leftover
Bakers cubed, some bacon pieces, cheddar
And tomatoes. Serve with flour tortillas.

Last edited:
I'm thinking pepper steak sandwich with au jus. Lightly warm the meat after sauteing a mixture of bell pepper slices, and onion. The veggies need to have crispness in them. Put them in a sub bun with the warmed meat, season with S & P, lay on a slice of provolone if you like, and dip in hot au jus, or just eat as is.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We do the same with tri tip, RF. I just can't bring myself to heat it up and make it not perfectly rare! Oh yes, rare meat, wine and cheese and crackers....bliss. :yum:

This has always perplexed me when I had left over rare steak. We get thick cuts at Costco and always have some left.
I found a way to heat it without cooking it much more.
I turn on my deep fryer and allow it to preheat.
I then with tongs, hold the steak in the hot oil for one minute or so.
Gets extremely brown, but stays nice and rare on the inside.

Delicious

The roast came out great. Perfect medium-rare, which was my goal. And now I've got a bunch of left over beef, including the ribs, so I can try out at least some of these great ideas. Thanks, y'all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom