"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Wink Leftovers

If any of you have graced my writing enough to recall what I have to say, you know I am a professional chef...and rarely cook at home, save for the weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday my house is full, between my boyfriend staying for the three days, my son and daughter in from school, and my (ex) husband and his girlfriend popping over to raid my fridge...I have a reason to cook. (It's different cooking for people you love, yes?)

As I've mentioned from time to time, I have portion control issues. I feed people like they've recently returned from Bataan. I always make more than I need, knowing there will be leftovers. (We tend to live off leftovers around here all week long).

My problem stems from having leftover 'cake' and other cake like products. Right now, there is half a cheesecake in my fridge, a CocoDolly birthday cake chunk, 4 entenman's donuts, and about 2 pounds of butter bakery cookies. Great if Marie Antoinette was coming to visit..

Cake has a syren's effect on me. It calls me, even if I'm 40 miles away at work. No sooner do I get into the house than I am drawn to the kitchen. It takes every ounce of willpower to drag myself in the opposite direction.

I send huge pieces of dessert (and just about anything else I prepared during the weekend) home with Lou so he can prevent starvation during his week. I send plates of food back with my daughter to her dorm. I give to my (ex)husband's girlfriend, and he pops in a couple of times a week to stave off his own starvation. My son, who is commuting this year has such a goofy schedule that he eats out more than in. That leaves me and the cake. Or pie. Or struedel.

Strangely, I'm never left with a plate of broccoli, or corn, or tomatoes. It's always some fattening potato thing, or pasta thing, or cake.

What do you do???

And...if anyone is interested, I'm real close to Teterboro airport. I'll even brew a fresh pot of coffee to help you wash down the cakes... Who's hungry?

Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Send the goodies back to the dorm with your daughter. I'm sure her dorm-mates will appreciate them. Get them out of the house!
Corinne

Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

The only thing that prevents me from doing that completely is that my son may just decide he wants something. If I keep two or three pieces here for him, he never gets around to eating them. If I send everything away, he's licking the chocolate off decade old easter eggs foil.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Put on a pot of coffee and save me a piece of cheesecake.

I sometimes ache to bake but resist the temptation to feed my addiction. (I don't want to be my own enabler).

When the holidays roll around, I give in to temptation and go all out. Then I beg folks to take stuff home with them so I won't be saddled with the responsibility of preventing all the leftover desserts form "going to waste"
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I suppose that may be a big part of the reason I don't make sweets so much. I usually have to give away more than we eat. I like to have dessert, but don't want the same thing, so we usually have fruit, or sherbet, or frozen yogurt. I can't send the sweets home with my kids and grandkids - they are trying to stay away from them also. I would suggest putting what you can in the freezer. If they stay awhile, you can defrost and make the coffee...or perhaps not make as much.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Put on a pot of coffee and save me a piece of cheesecake.

I sometimes ache to bake but resist the temptation to feed my addiction. (I don't want to be my own enabler).

When the holidays roll around, I give in to temptation and go all out. Then I beg folks to take stuff home with them so I won't be saddled with the responsibility of preventing all the leftover desserts form "going to waste"
oh no, we cannot let it go to waste. Lou wants to know what is the difference between his eating a pie in one sitting or dragging it out over a few days .
Old 11-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I suppose that may be a big part of the reason I don't make sweets so much. I usually have to give away more than we eat. I like to have dessert, but don't want the same thing, so we usually have fruit, or sherbet, or frozen yogurt. I can't send the sweets home with my kids and grandkids - they are trying to stay away from them also. I would suggest putting what you can in the freezer. If they stay awhile, you can defrost and make the coffee...or perhaps not make as much.
Licia, I like you, but you may be too healthy for me. I grew up having a piece of fruit at the end of each dinner, but that just doesn't do it for me when I need something sweet. I usually have my fruit, now, earlier in the day, like breakfast or an afternoon snack. Imagine if I put all the leftover cakes into the freezer..haha, that's all there would be in there. And that would leave no room for the vodka!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I used to put my cakes and cookies in the freezer like there is a Green Beret guarding it...hogwash. I've learned to love frozen cake (and it only takes seconds to thaw, anyway).

Speaking of cake, it sounds good for breakfast this morning.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
Head Chef

I cook for two and I always have leftovers but then I don't have to cook everyday. I freeze alot of leftovers so usually have food on hand if we get to busy here to cook. We don't eat alot of sweets but I do make cookies and on occasion a cake but it has to be a very moist kind. I use up very ripe bananas for my banana bread that I can freeze and usually give some away to some older friends that love it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Sous Chef

My only suggestion is what we have to do - spread it around to the neighbors - if it's in the house, we'll eat it!!