Let's do lunch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noodlehead

Cook
So tell me ladies and gents that saty at home or even those that take lunch to work,what are some of your favorite lunch ideas besides the boring tried and true lunch meat sandwhich and chips?I've been making quesadillas lately with corn tortillas and a myraid of ingriedients such as leftover shrimp,scallions,cilantro ,lime juice and of course lots of habernero cheese.

Some of my normal abnormal lunches
soup (microwaved)
whole grained bread toasted, sliced tomatoes and hummus (if it is sundried tomato hummus then with a little cream cheese)
green salad with strawberries or tomatoes and a few veggies w/italian dressing (homemade)
toast (whole grained) with marmite and a little butter.
left over stews (microwaved)
(my co-workers consider most of my stuff abnormal because they all eat out most days)

noodlehead, your tortilla dealie sounds delicious.

I like to make wrap sandwiches, using tortillas (flour, spinach or tomato-basil), vegies, eggs, sliced meat, cheese, etc. You can also make them ahead and freeze (wrap egg-roll style, using burrito-size tortillas and Ziploc freezer bags). To enjoy, just take of the freezer, and microwave for 1-2 min.... depends on your oven.... I like to thaw mine out a bit. You could even warm in a toaster oven or conventional oven @ 350 for 20-30 min. or so.

My favorite lunch is usually left-overs from supper the night before. Not all supper meals make good lunch left-overs, but soups, stews, and creamy, cheesy, or tomato-based pasta dishes all make good lunches the next day (especially if you have access to a microwave oven).

:)Barbara

My favorite lunch is usually left-overs from supper the night before. Not all supper meals make good lunch left-overs, but soups, stews, and creamy, cheesy, or tomato-based pasta dishes all make good lunches the next day (especially if you have access to a microwave oven).

:)Barbara
That is what I do quite frequently. I try not to freeze anything with a creamy base as it gets the "separated" look. I brought french onion soup yesterday, and heated it in the microwave at work. I wasn't feelin' all that great, and it tasted good! With it, I brought Saltines, an apple and water.

I have even made stuffed peppers for dinner and brought the leftovers to work the next day, along with a side of spanish rice.

So tell me ladies and gents that saty at home or even those that take lunch to work,what are some of your favorite lunch ideas besides the boring tried and true lunch meat sandwhich and chips?I've been making quesadillas lately with corn tortillas and a myraid of ingriedients such as leftover shrimp,scallions,cilantro ,lime juice and of course lots of habernero cheese.

I like to take that quesadilla and keep it flat. (heat oven to 350 F). Spread a bit of pesto or simply olive oil (you can use pizza sauce but I prefer not to). Top it with everything you just mentioned and bake for about 25 minutes.

My FAVORITE toppings are a bit of pesto (not much), arugula or baby spinach, fresh mozzarella (not much either), very thinly sliced onions or scallions, shrimp or chopped chicken, thinly sliced roma tomatoes, gee, I know there's something I'm leaving out. It's just basically a "favorites" pizza. Once it's done it's nice and crispy and just right for a balanced lunch. OH, roasted red peppers....how could I forget?

I can see everything you have mentioned above though, working out quite nicely!

Now that sounds really good Kitchenlf!I've got a few small batches of pesato frozen from the 2008 harvest of my basil crop.

I've never had marmite,is it similar to peanut butter?
Noodle head, welcome to DC. Marmite is Europe's version of Australia's Vegemite. B vitamins, yeast extracts from making beer. (please feel free to correct me)
Where is Nashvegas? And why? :)

I like soups for my lunch these days because it is sooo cold outside. Yesterday, cooked brown lentils with garlic, ginger, chili and tomato puree. Also cooked some chick peas, beans and brown rice seperatly. When I want soup for lunch I just take spoonful from each from the fridge, add some herbs and soy sauce,heat up then you have a lovely and warming soup for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom