"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
However, SnackPack - your recipe isn't so much a Coq Au Vin as it is a French "Hunter Style" chicken dish. You're missing two of Coq Au Vin's primary ingredients - pearl onions & mushrooms - & adding peppers, which aren't present in a Coq Au Vin at all.

I based this dish on a Coq Au Vin recipe found in the original Betty crock er cookbook that specifically calls for 2 sliced bell peppers. I do use mushrooms and must have forgotten to list them (and the bouquet garni)

I really do not like the texture of pearl onions (funny I know) so I sliced mine up with the peppers. I've seen so many different variants of this recipe it's hard for me to say what are "primary" ingredients besides the "rooster in wine".

In regards to the inquiries of the type of wine I used- the DH and I don't drink so non alcoholic wine was all we had. I have never had it prepared with regular wine because the only times I've had the dish...I've made it at home.

As for why I would use white wine, in certain parts of France they make a version Coq Au Vin with white wine and cream just like the recipe I posted. It's called Coq Au Riesling, same basic idea though and the flavor..IMO is fantastic. You can also find many recipes using champagne believe it or not.

I agree, it is very reminiscent of a hunter style chicken dish but without a tomato base- which would really change the overall flavor dynamics of this dish.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Master Chef

My husband absolutely HATES pearl onions, but does like Coq Au Vin, so after years of watching him push them around his plate - childlike - as if they were eyeballs or something, I now just add a token number of them for myself & make sure I don't accidentally plate any of them for him.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
My husband absolutely HATES pearl onions, but does like Coq Au Vin, so after years of watching him push them around his plate - childlike - as if they were eyeballs or something, I now just add a token number of them for myself & make sure I don't accidentally plate any of them for him.
IDK, I think I just got a bad batch with my greenbeans at a restaurant once and I've never liked them since. I am sure that, as with most things, I would love them if I had them prepared well. I actually didn't like pork chops for years because my mother made "pork jerky" every thursday night. I had no idea pork could be so tender and delicious! We used leftovers for doorstoppers.