"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
Executive Chef

My MIL loves to regale me with tales of when she was young, and her parents would go to PA to visit. They always bought a shoo fly pie back. She also makes a chicken corn soup that has tons of "egg dribbles" in it, that I'm assuming is Pennsylvania Dutch. They call it chicken corn chowder, but they have no idea what real chicken corn chowder is.

I've got a recipe for Kentucky Hot Brown, but never knew where it came from, or the story behind it.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Thanks Andy! I knew I could count on you

Now why is it that both of my examples have to do with ice cream
...and why is it that I knew the answers

Old 10-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
Senior Cook

two foods that i have trouble finding when i leave california are sourdough bread (the good stuff, chewy and crusty and not soft like a hotdog bun) and jack cheese

purrfectlydevine, we have soft pretzels here, too... i used to eat them all the time at ballgames when i was a kid. a lot of public events have pretzel carts... do you eat them with mustard?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

Dugger, another thing you have in Louisville is the New Orleans House. I have never seen such a wonderful seafood buffet, and the waitresses come around to the tables with big trays of crab legs, escargo, frog legs, and all sorts of exotic things. Even their vegetables are wonderful...I've never been able to duplicate their marinated fresh asparagus spears.

Here way down south in the bottom tip of Illinois, our Chicken & Dumplins doesn't have dumplings, as such, but rolled egg noodles instead. We eat White Pie that originated at the famous Burton's cafe...I think I posted a recipe for that one. Morels grow plentifully here, and the mushroom hunters guard their secret spots as if they were gold mines. We also have lots of hickory trees, and those with the patience to hammer the hard shells open and pick out the meats are rewarded with a tasty, sweet nut similar in flavor to pecans. Another favorite is the Maid-rite, which originated at the "Maid-rite" stand in a little town 3 miles from here. It's a mixture of steamed ground beef and onions, spooned onto grilled bun. Yum!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugDbold
Ok, we need to keep this organized... LOL I have heard of Shoo Fly Pie, but what is it? Soft pretzels have spread the nation in ballparks wherever. Pepper Cabbage? Sweet Bologna, Chicken Corn Soup?

We all will end up spewing out names of local dishes. But they are useless without an explanation and an occasional recipe.

Please.. keep the legends coming.......
I'll start with Chicken corn soup since it is the easiest to explain. Keep in mind there are as many ways to make it as there are cooks . Think chicken noodle soup made from scratch. You make chicken broth as you normally do. Obviously you add lots of corn kernals (not creamed) and fresh off the cob is wonderful. I add diced potatoes and no noodles but some use noodles instead of potatoes. I also add finely chopped onion and celery as well as parsley to the finished soup. If someone wants a recipe I can hunt for one. I don't use a recipe, it is something you just make.

I have to go now because of a class, but I'll post info on the other items later.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

purrfectlydevine, I wish I convince my MIL that there's a better way to make her soup. Unfortunately, she will not make it any other way than diced, raw, chicken breasts, canned corn, water, simmer for awhile, then pour in copious amounts of beaten eggs while stirring.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Milk Shakes...

Now see, there's one of those "name" things. If you order a milk shake in Ky you will definitely get icecream. If you order a frappe you'll get a blank stare

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Kentucky Recipes

We'll clear up some of the myths and legends here and now..

Bourbon Balls
The way we have always made bourbon balls here in good ole' Kentucky, the heart of bourbon country is shown below. The legend is that they were first made by the Rebecca Ruth Candy Company.
BEWARE: They can be a little strong.

BOURBON BALLS, Rebecca Ruth Style

A cup or so of chopped pecans, chopped very fine
Enough GOOD Ky Bourbon to just cover nuts (I use Makers Mark)
1 stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
enough powdered sugar to make the mixture form a ball and stay together
semi-sweet chocolate mixed with parafin, about 3 to 1, melted over a double boiler
wax paper and toothpicks
Pecan halves to put on the top of candies

Pour bourbon over nuts and let sit overnight. Soften butter until mixable. Mix bourbon/nut mixture with butter, vanilla and enough powdered sugar to make a stiff dough, just so it will hold together to make a ball. Refridgerate until hard enough to dip. Melt chocolate and parafin in a double boiler (the parafin will make the chocolate nice and shiny and hard)
Dip each piece of candy using a toothpick. Place imeadiately on wax paper and top with a nut half.

DERBY-PIEŽ was born nearly a half century ago as the specialty pastry of the Melrose Inn, at Prospect, Kentucky. Once developed, a proper name had to be given. Because each family member had a favorite, the name DERBY-PIEŽ was actually pulled from a hat.

And what a winner! By 1968 DERBY-PIEŽ had become so successful that the name was registered with the U.S. Patent Office and the Commonwealth of Kentucky (that's the reason for the Ž!). Since then it has been baked and distributed solely by Kern's Kitchen, a small family operation.

Mint Juleps The Julep dates back to ancient times. The Arabs called it "julab", Portuguese, "julepe", Latins, "julapium". "Julep" is a French term. Just as the name has many variations, so do the recipes. The one thing that is decidedly universal is the quality of quenching the thirst.

When it comes to the Southern Mint Julep, the controversy is in the preparation. I have a 1936 copy of Irvin S. Cobb's Own Recipe Book (written for Frankfort Distilleries) where he states, "But my grandfather always insisted that a man who would let the crushed leaves and the mangled stemlets steep in the finished decoction would put scorpions in a baby's bed." He goes on to further state,"...well, down our way we've always had a theory that the Civil War was not brought on by Secession or Slavery or the State's Rights issue. These matters contributed to the quarrel, but there is a deeper reason. It was brought on by some Yankee coming down south and putting nutmeg in a julep. So our folks just up and left the Union flat."

The Mint Julep was probably first made in Georgia, although Virginia lays claim as well. Kentucky though, may very well take credit for its popularity. It is the official drink of the Kentucky Derby. Leaves in, leaves out, straw or no straw, crush, layer, or muddle... This is an issue bartenders will debate forever. Shaved ice, Bourbon, sugar, and mint (not peppermint or spearmint) are not debated in the South. For the absolute best flavor, however you decide to make it, try putting it in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour before serving it.

Mint Julep Recipe

In a bowl, place several fresh mint sprigs, 1 tsp. of sugar and 1/4 ounce of water. Crush the leaves with a spoon and stir all well. Filla chilled tumbler with crushed ice, fill with Bourbon, and top with strained mixture. Or place a bit of the mixture into the chilled glass. Add a layer of crushed ice. Continue at least one more time, topping with ice. Pour Bourbon on top. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

New Orleans House

Constance, it is my unfortunate task to inform you that the New Orleans House is no more. Like it's namesake city it "went under". When they say things are too good to be true, they are usually right.

It was one of the most fantastic seafood buffets I ever saw..errr.. ate. But alas, time passes and restaurants often follow.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 AM   #20
Head Chef

Milk Shakes here have ice cream too....same as a "Malt" but without the Malt.
The only thing I've heard of that comes from around here is baked corn which is just a corn casserole kind of thing....corn baked with egg, cracker crumbs, milk and jalapenos if you want them!