"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
so an egg cream is milk, chocolate syrup (i think fox's syrup was the traditional one used), and seltzer.
Ubetcha!

Old 11-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #62
Executive Chef

A little puzzled re "local" traditions/history/legends on how to respond. Tradition and history were the dishes I grew up with, since my ancestors imigrated from Europe to the US. Other generations did not write recipes down, so there can be no myth. I could probably write volumes, but the food/landmarks/cooking establishments I grew up with, may no longer exist, but hold a place in my heart. Those are the components of what tradition means to me. Growing up in New York City, local meant every cuisine you could imagine, particularly since it was a melting pot of people/cultures/cooking/foods from all over the world. I remember fondly, places that were landmarks, and sadly will never be brought back again. I could give you some links, but tradition, to me, is what is in your heart and roots and memories.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

mish, speaking of a melting pot, i just saw my first filipino fast food take out joint in a mall yesterday. it looked just like a chinese take out, but with a much different menu. i'm gonna have to try it soon.
the shrimp in red sauce with spicy rice looked good.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Very interesting thread! I'm thrilled that DugD mentioned Welsh Rarebit (around here it's called Welsh Rabbit!) I literally haven't had that since I was ten years old or so, I'm gonna have to make it soon. Cincinnati style chili over spaghetti is extremely popular around here as is White Castle, a Columbus original, the steamed hamburger and onions on a bun that someone else here mentioned. Another original is Johnny Marzetti, basically a macaroni, hamburger and tomato sauce concoction topped with American cheese. I live just north east of Columbus on the edge of Amish country and many of the family owned restaurants are heavily influenced by Amish cooking. Around these parts, no one can make comfort food better than the Amish!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #65
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I live just north east of Columbus on the edge of Amish country and many of the family owned restaurants are heavily influenced by Amish cooking. Around these parts, no one can make comfort food better than the Amish!
There are a lot of Amish around where my husband is from in Iowa. He said that some of the Amish would go to Aldi's and buy cookies, put them in individual bags, then sell them at the roadside!

Barbara
Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #66
Executive Chef

No way, Barb! Ah well, I guess even the Amish know how to work the system! Disappointing to hear but not surprising.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

there used to be a young amish kid that showed up at a small farmers market on the corner of 57th and 9th avenue on saturdays in nyc a few years ago.
he sold everything from breads to veggies, to cheeses. it seemed a little odd to me that he would drive up with his produce in a truck with ny plates, but, whatever, this is ny, an open air asylum.
one weekend, a co-worker was heading home to brooklyn, and was stuck most of the way in heavy traffic.
much of the trip was spent behind a truck with ny plates, and an amish-dressed kid behind the wheel.
i guess there's a new amish community in bed-stuy or flatbush...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #68
Senior Cook

Amish mmmm Shoo-fly pie, Lebanon Bologna, Sausage,Chow Chow.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #69
Senior Cook

Here in the south a staple in the fall are Chitterlings cause you have to cook them outside because of the smell. Pinto beans and cornbread, BBQ, Greens, and of course grits.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by comissaryqueen
Amish mmmm Shoo-fly pie, Lebanon Bologna, Sausage,Chow Chow.
Did you see the recipe that i posted in this thread for shoo-fly pie?