"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Local Food Traditions, History and Myths...

OK, every city, region, state, etc... has it's food traditions. What things are called, what was initiated there, what are the local cuisines, what are things called (named)?

Mudbug and I started this conversation in another forum where it did not exactly fit so I started this one.

For starters... I live in Kentucky. LaGrange to be exact, about 15 miles NE of Louisville [pronounced Lu' A Vul]. Louisville was a portage point on the Ohio River originally. If you came down the river from Pennsylvania you had to unload, put your stuff on wagons, take it below the falls, and load it on another boat. So the city had a lot of mixed inputs for food since there were so many travelers passing through.

Therefore, Louisville has a eclectic cuisine with a strong "suthern" flavor.

There are a few claims to fame from the local establishments. Actually some you may not have even heard of but we think they are special... LOL

Mint Julep
Derby Pie
The Hot Brown Sandwich
Bourbon Balls
and supposedly the "Cheeseburger".

Mudbug mentioned that in Memphis tea means "iced tea", I don't know if they have a word for hot tea there...

So,let the games begin. What's your regional specialties? What strange words inhabit your vocabulary? What food originated where you live??

Have fun..........

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've never heard of a hot brown sandwich. Could you explain? One thing that we have every New Year's Day is what some people call "Hoppin John". I have no idea how it got it's name and we don't call it that. We just call it blackeyed peas and rice. I don't really like blackeyed peas but eat them that one day because my grandmother always made it and said it brought good luck and good health all year.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Ok, first things first.. the Hot Brown. This is the history and original recipe. There are hundreds of variations. It's on almost every restaurant menu in Louisville. My version has peach halves on top....

Hot Brown Sandwich

Home | Site Map| Recipes | Diet Recipes | Dinner Party Menus |</SPAN></SPAN>Food Facts|Peggy's Baking Corner

Food Facts -
culinary dictionary, history of foods, newspapers, hints and tips, <A href="http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/questions2.htm">Q&A,herbs & spices

Photo and recipe courtesy of the Camberley Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky.

Chef Fred K. Schmidt at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, created The Hot Brown sandwich in 1926. In the 1920s, the Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. The band would play until late, and when the band took bread, around midnight; people would retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Bored with the traditional ham and eggs, Chef Schmidt, delighted his guests by creating the Hot Brown.</SPAN>

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, room temperature and beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup prepared whipped cream
8 slices toasted white bread, crust trimmed off
1 pound cooked turkey breasy, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
8 bacon slices, fried crisp

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Gradually add flour, stirring constantly, until smooth and free from lumps. Gradually stir in milk until sauce comes to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted and well blended.

In a small bowl, beat egg. Gradually add 1 cup of hot sauce, 1/3 cup at a time, to the egg, stirring constantly. Gradually add egg mixture to remaining sauce, stirring constantly until well blended; add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in whipped cream.

For each Hot Brown sandwich, place two slices of toasted bread on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, sprinkle with diced pimientos, cross two pieces of bacon over the top, and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings of two open-faced sandwiches each.

A final note.. blackeyed peas, better known by me as "dirt peas". I hate them. LOL. They taste like the dirt I got on my hands as a kid and then stuck in my mouth by mistake. But my wife loves them... to each his own. And yes we have the New Year's Eve Eat Dirt Peas tradition too...

Old 10-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I know what you mean. Sweet bologna and Lebanon bologna are very popular here and I don't think they are well known outside the area. Shoo fly pie is another. Other dishes such as chicken corn soup and pot pie may not be what "outsiders" think they are. We also have pepper cabbage and pickled eggs. Soft pretzels, I think, are becoming known outside the area thanks to Auntie Anne's. Pork and saurkraut is a New Year's Day tradition.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Ok, we need to keep this organized... LOL I have heard of Shoo Fly Pie, but what is it? Soft pretzels have spread the nation in ballparks wherever. Pepper Cabbage? Sweet Bologna, Chicken Corn Soup?

We all will end up spewing out names of local dishes. But they are useless without an explanation and an occasional recipe.

Please.. keep the legends coming.......

Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Chili

Ok, did you know that Chili here [known as chilie] has spaghetti in it?

I have a very dear friend who I have known for 45 years. He is from Wisconsin. The first time we had his family over for dinner we had Chilie... They were amazed. In Kentucky it's made with spaghetti. The almost normal ingredients for chili con carne but then you add the spaghetti.

They quickly learned to be careful in restaurants. The words do not always translate as intended.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Scottish dishes - everything from soups like Cock a Leekie, Cullen Skink, Scotch Broth...

Haggis, neeps and tatties, rumbledethumps, steak pie, mutton pies

Puddings/cakes/biscuits - real shortbread, clootie dumplings, cranachan, tipsy laird, fruit cakes, rowies, parliament biscuits

The list is too long to type here!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

In MA we have frappes and milkshakes. Unfortunately even though I have lived here for 29 years I still have not learned the differences. I think one has ice cream and the other doesn't.

We also have jimmies and sprinkles that go on your ice cream. Again I still have not learned the difference.

Maybe Andy M. or Jennyema or another MA member will stop by and explain
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Frappes are made with milk, syrup and ice cream. Milk shakes don't have the ice cream.

Jimmies are chocolate sprinkles. If you ask for sprinkles, everyone will know you are not from around here.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Andy! I knew I could count on you

Now why is it that both of my examples have to do with ice cream