"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Yes, I would visit a fast food website. Might be cook if they have weekly specials or coupons and stuff. The delivery time is a cool idea - but I think it is such a quick turnaround, it sounds impossible for a fast food restaurant to do - would be nice though, huh?

Old 02-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by successfirst
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike. I own a restaurant in my city and I plan on creating a website for my restaurant.

I was wondering if you all could help me out a little by answering one simple question for me. I would really appreciate it!

1. If all the restaurants in your city had a website, what would you want to see at the website and would you want to do at the website?

Please help me out because I have no idea what to put on the website.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, it depends on your city on how best to approach your audience. For my city it would be...whats on the menu, including specials of the day ( appetizers, entrees,dessert), prices, atmosphere ( formal, casual). I like the option of take out! Dont underestimate the takeout crowd!

If your just starting out, I would probably include the name of a nearby business that has a good reputation to refer to directions to your place. In other words, "We are conveniently located nearby X and can easily be accessed by taking X exit off highway X...

So what type of restaurant do you own Mike, and in what city?

Old 02-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Mike, it depends on your city on how best to approach your audience. For my city it would be...whats on the menu, including specials of the day ( appetizers, entrees,dessert), prices, atmosphere ( formal, casual). I like the option of take out! Dont underestimate the takeout crowd!

If your just starting out, I would probably include the name of a nearby business that has a good reputation to refer to directions to your place. In other words, "We are conveniently located nearby X and can easily be accessed by taking X exit off highway X...

So what type of restaurant do you own Mike, and in what city?
I own an italian restaurant in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
Contest Winner

Quote:
I was just thinking, would any of you visit the website of a local fast food restaurant that sells food like pizza, burgers, sandwiches, etc?
I have, on occasion, visited various fast food websites.. mainly to look up nutritional information and/or ingredient information. I like it when food websites include that....
Old 02-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Yes, I would visit a fast food website. Might be cook if they have weekly specials or coupons and stuff. The delivery time is a cool idea - but I think it is such a quick turnaround, it sounds impossible for a fast food restaurant to do - would be nice though, huh?
You are right about fast food restaurants having such a quick turnaround, but posting the maximum time you have to wait for your food would probably work for a restaurant like mine because its a dine in restaurant and the turnaround isn't nearly as quick as fast food restaurants.

Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
You are right about fast food restaurants having such a quick turnaround, but posting the maximum time you have to wait for your food would probably work for a restaurant like mine because its a dine in restaurant and the turnaround isn't nearly as quick as fast food restaurants.

Mike
I think that would be to difficult to keep up.. you or an employee would have to be constantly be going to a web site, with the status of whats going on with the restaurant. Which might keep the service for the people already there at a slower pace, while your busy updating the web site. I just think that a reservation sign up area on a web site would be better... if they see the time slot that they want available, then they would not have to know how long they have to wait. Plus, if they couldn't get a reservation, I would think people would probably just place a phone call to find out. I dunno, just an thought.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #17
Head Chef

Here are a few that I have used and found everything that I needed.

http://www.rothswestsidesteakhouse.com/index.php

www.brotherjimmys.com

http://newyork.citysearch.com/custom...okhousenyc.com
even though this last one left off the hours of operation I thought their images of the food was different and it made me very hungry which I guess is the point.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie
the Menu and the prices... the address and phone number and the directions as to how to get there. and to place a reservation online. Inside and outside pictures. :)

everything debbie said
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Firstly pay special attention to the homepage, be creative on graphics and images and make it as attractive and attention grabbing as you can. This way people are more likely to stay on your page and look more, rather than just cruise through to something else. Believe me, a good visual effect makes a world of difference.

Then a good introduction of your restraurant, explain in clear manner what makes your restraunt special, different from others.

Then of course, all the necessary info, menus with brief descriptions of each item and prices, some, if not on every item, images of your plates will be a plus. Opening hours, directions on how to get to the restaurants, etc. etc...

These for a starter, then you can add some special features when you get a chance, special events, blogs, guest page etc...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
Head Chef

Hi Mike!

I think, unless you'll have someone committed to doing regular updates, that a simpler is better approach might be the way to go.

A few things I can think of off the top of my head would include:

Prices - If they're likely to change more often than you'll be able to update, perhaps just list a range of prices on the menu, possibly by appetizer, entree, etc.

Menu Items themselves - if there will be a lot of rotating dishes, I'd say note them somehow. If the specials change daily, just put something on there along the lines of "Be sure to check with us about our daily specials"

My point is that a customer who takes the time to check out a website will likely be more offended by getting outdated info than general info, especially if a price has changed a bit or an item is not currently available.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!
John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote