Looking for a new recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cla26

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I'm a student at university and i'm living in a project oriented housing with 18 people.
We have to make food everyday for everyone.
So It's becomming quite hard to find something different to do everyday :)
I would like to surprise them with something new..
Do you have any idea of a good recipe for a huge group of students ?
Also not too expensive :)
It can be anything (meat, vegetables,...).
Thanks for your help.

Cole slaw and Buffalo ckicken legs...
39817-albums371-picture4634.jpg

I agree with GotGarlic. I'll also throw in there, you live in Belgium, so we have no idea of what is expensive or cheap there. Meat wise here in the USA, chicken and pork seem to be on the less expensive side. BTW, welcome to DC.

Welcome to DC cla. You'll find lots of ideas here and elsewhere. It occurred to me that you're cooking much like they do in a Firehouse in this country. I often see firemen at our grocery and always ask them what's cooking. Everybody loves firemen, and they sure know their stuff with home cooking for a crowd. We're happy to help you here, but you may want to check out some recipes from these guys too. Just Google firehouse recipes.

Hello,

I'm a student at university and i'm living in a project oriented housing with 18 people.
We have to make food everyday for everyone.
So It's becomming quite hard to find something different to do everyday :)
I would like to surprise them with something new..
Do you have any idea of a good recipe for a huge group of students ?
Also not too expensive :)
It can be anything (meat, vegetables,...).
Thanks for your help.
As far as expense is concerned the best thing is to look round and see what is in season and produced locally because it'll be less expensive and fresher than something that has flown round the world to get to you. Vegetables, pulses (beans, peas, lentils), pasta and eggs are less expensive than dishes with loads of meat from expensive cuts. If the main course is centred on meat you can make it go further with pulses, rice, pasta, etc.

Difficult to suggest any specific recipes as we don't know your tastes and what you've already served up

If you haven't already made these---- Sloppy Joes:

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 6 Servings
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard

Serve with hamburger buns or another kind of roll. If hot dog buns are on sale-- and hamburger buns aren't----- they're the same except for shape.

Sloppy Joes II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

A picture, in case you've never heard of them, but I really can't imagine that!

sloppy+joes71.jpg

Of course you can alter the ingredients---- say if green pepper is too expensive or too many might not like it.

But my experience with college aged people----- they're bottomless pits to chuck food into. ;)

Forgot to add----- Firehouse recipes are a good idea. Google is your friend.

But they may have a better budget than you do. Here is a firehouse site with some easier and fairly inexpensive recipes for the most part:

Fire Department Recipes

Another thought----- although a roast may seem to be too expensive if a large one (or two) is bought on sale then the leftover roast meat can be used for other dishes. (Of course, you'd have to make sure they didn't eat it all the first time around!) Chuck roasts are good and often on sale.

Burritos? Cheap and easy to do.

Are you in Belgium as someone said? How are the rains where you are?

Last edited:
If you haven't already made these---- Sloppy Joes:

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 6 Servings
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion

Serve with hamburger buns or another kind of roll. If hot dog buns are on sale-- and hamburger buns aren't----- they're the same except for shape.

Sloppy Joes II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

A picture, in case you've never heard of them, but I really can't imagine that!

sloppy+joes71.jpg

Of course you can alter the ingredients---- say if green pepper is too expensive or too many might not like it.

But my experience with college aged people----- they're bottomless pits to chuck food into. ;)

You missed a few of the ingredients, cave.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

You missed a few of the ingredients, cave.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Oops! Sorry ----- and thank you for catching that!

When I lived in Germany, during the week we usually ate stews and other things that were prepared in one pot with a couple of sausage tossed in. On Sunday, a 3-4 lb pork roast was often made for 6 people. The proximity to the North Sea meant fish was on the menu once a week (often matjese <spelling--raw herring on a bed of ice> or smoked eel), liver and onions.

There must be an echo in here. :ohmy:;)

Au contraire, Kayelle. I was expanding on your post where you had mentioned firehouse recipes.

I should have said "As Kayelle already mentioned" or quoted your post. Would that have been better for you?

Besides a good idea DOES bear repeating no matter who takes the credit. I'm sorry you thought I was stealing your idea.

If you can get Pinkelwurst, this makes a generous pot and is filling:

Kale Stew with Smoked Meat and Sausages | Germanfoods.orgGermanfoods.org

I think Pinkelwurst is only available in the spring. I loved it when I lived there.

Another favourite kale soup of mine is this one:

https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=1378

You can substitute any smoked sausage or ham or omit the meat. Increase the quantities to make a BIG pot, serve with bread and you have a meal.

Indian vegetarian dishes might be interesting. I made something similar to this I used Swiss Chard but kale or any other seasonal green would work:

Indian Spiced Chickpeas with Rhubarb and Spinach Recipe « Chef Marcus Samuelsson

Palak paneer to which you add chickpeas and tomatoes served with a raita and naan or other bread would be nice. Naan is easy to make at home as is raita. You could use a different cheese or tofu if paneer is not avalable.

:mellow:"Au contraire" Cave, sorry my attempt at a funny obviously bombed.

I want to apologize to you, Kayelle, for my post. It was unnecessary and not appropriate. I should have just ignored it.

I would also like to apologize to the OP for this incursion into his/her thread.

Every cook has that problem once in a while. It happens to me every now and then so I try something new, but no way am I going at new recipes every day. There's too much in life happening. Some cooks might even repeat the same menu weekly. I would suggest you try the suggestions here, find the ones that work for your busy university schedule and stick with the favorites. You might even adopt the rule we have around here if there are complaints..... "You don't like what's on the table?..... I'm sorry Sweetie, supper's over. There's the peanut butter if you need a snack."

An American classic that is a favorite, and feeds many is chili. I give you two versions of this dish. As there are as many chili recipes out there as there are kinds of chile peppers, feel free to change the recipes as you see fit.:chef:

Some Like it Scorching Hot - Red Chili
Ingredients:
2.7 Kilograms. diced tomatoes (1 #10 can)
2.7 Kilograms. Kidney Beans (1 #10 can)
2.7 Kilorams Pinto Beans (1 #10 can)
6 stalks Celery, sliced
2.7 Kilograms ground beef (Ground Chuck) ,or whatever meat is available
6 ea. dried Tobasco Peppers, Jalepeno Peppers, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Cayenne Peppers
3 ea. Bhuk Jalokia Peppers, Naga Viper Peppers
3 large onions, diced
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
.5 Kilograms. hot Chili Powder
1/2 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate

Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. I a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat serve with corn chips or crackers, or refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Reheat and serve. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal.

Prize-Winning White Chili
Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family.

Tip: If you can't get Masa Harina, smash up corn chips and add to the cooking chili. Just reduce the salt a bit, as the chips add salt.

This next recipe is taken from my cookbook - "You Can Be A Great Cook with Beef. The recipe has received many a compliment, and so, I give it to you to use.

Sloppy Joe
Before I met my wife, I was going out with another young lady who lived at home with her parents. One day I was at her place and she said “Ya want some lunch”? Of course, being an
exceptionally slender twenty year old, with an ultra high
metabolism (whatever happened to that metabolism anyway), I
said “Sure”.
She went into the kitchen to find a can of store bought Sloppy Joe sauce and some ground beef. To make a long story short, she had no sauce and was at a loss for something to make. I replied that peanut butter and jelly would be fine. She complained that her heart was set on Sloppy Joe's.
I said “Well let me see whatcha got.” She had ketchup, brown
sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, etc. I quickly
threw together a sauce with fresh chopped onions and green
peppers added for texture and flavor. She was amazed. I was
amazed that she was amazed. But I was the culinary hero (a
dangerous thing for a twenty year old whose head swelled
easily). I wasn't yet a very good cook. But this seemed pretty
elementary to me.
The point of this is that with a little imagination, you can
create almost any recipe you desire. And remember, if you make
your own, you can tailor it to your tastes.
This is the original “meal in a pan”. As an example of the
“tailor it to your taste” principle, my wife's idea of Sloppy
Joe Sauce is completely different from mine. But hers is
really good, and exceptionally easy to make. However, this is
my book so your going to get my sauce. After you get the idea,
you can make your own, modified to fit your family's tastes.
You can even use the store bought stuff if you like it. I won't
tell.
Ingredients:
1 4 oz. can tomato paste
1 6 oz can Tomato Sauce

1 12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
½ clove minced garlic
½ medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (for Diabetics, substitute an equal
amount of Splenda brand sweetener and a tsp. of molasses)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic,
onion, and bay leaf to the oil and sauté until the onion turns
translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well
blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into
bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover.
Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the
meat is cooked through.
Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.
The Wife's Sloppy Joe Filling
Now you get my wife's recipe. When you see it, you might just say “why bother”. But let me assure you that on a cold day,
when time is at a premium, this tasty and quick meal is sure
to please. I would not have ever thought to make this on my
own.
It just goes to show that there are some pretty basic recipes around that taste great.
Ingredients:
2 - 12 oz. cans Tomato Soup
2 lbs. Ground Beef
½ tsp. Salt
1 twelve oz. Can Dark Red Kidney Beans
2 Hamburger buns per person.
Drain the Kidney Beans. Brown the ground beef in a covered
skillet. Drain and rinse, reserving the liquid for another meal. Add the remaining ingredients and heat until bubbling.
Serve on hamburger buns.

How about some Fried Chicken?
Gourmet Oven-Finished Chicken
This recipe was taught to me by my mother-in-law, a sweet and wonderful woman, and a fine cook in her own right. My wife reinforced the technique early in our marriage until I mastered it. This recipe produces a final product that is so juicy, it will literally squirt you when you bite into it. Have napkins ready.
With this technique, we use egg wash and flour to form a light and crispy, coating that adds flavor, texture, and holds moisture in the meat. The chicken is cooked in two stages. The first stage uses hot oil to cook the light coating. The second stage uses dry oven heat to finish the meat. How good is it? Try it. Then you be the judge. And if you have a secret family recipe for spices, feel free to add them to the flour.

Ingredients:
1 frying chicken, separated
1 cup seasoned flour (See recipe below)
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water
2 cups Sunflower, or vegetable oil

Pre-heat oven to 375' Fahrenheit. Heat oil in heavy skillet until fragrant. Mix the two large eggs and milk in a wide bowl. Put two cups flour into a large bowl. Dip the chicken in egg, then dredge in the flour. Shake off excess flour and dry on a cooling rack for five minutes. Place chicken in the hot oil and fry until lightly browned on both sides. Lightly salt and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite side dishes.
(hint: Try using whole wheat flour instead of white flour. It gives the chicken a more robust flavor, and crispier texture.)

Seasoned Flour:
1 cup all-purpose (or whole wheat) flour
3 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. red pepper
2 dashes Chinese 5-spice powder