Making new recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do you try a new recipe

• Less than once a month

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 1-3 times a month

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • 4-6 times a month

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 7-8 times a month

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 9-12 times a month

• 13-16 times a month

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • more than 16 times a month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abjcooking

Head Chef
One of my favorite things about cooking is trying out new recipes and getting good feedback. I also love expanding my recipe book with different types of food than I might already have. I usually try making a new recipe at least once a week. I was wondering how often you try a new recipe.

Last edited:
Well, the GM at the club I work at wants to see new things, instead of the same-old same-old that we're used to making. At home, though, my family isn't to terribly keen on trying new things, so I have to make small batches and hope they like the smell.

I'm always trying new things too, and my family is good about trying them. I tend to cook something up with whatever I have on hand, sometimes using a recipe as a guide, sometimes not.
If I'm using some sort of new ingredient or strange combination, I do keep it to myself, because my rather un-imaginative husband does tend to turn his nose up until he smells and tastes the finished product.

My kitchen is a science lab! lol I am constantly trying something new. I love to make something out of nothing...

Brianschef said:
My kitchen is a science lab! lol I am constantly trying something new. I love to make something out of nothing...
Same here! :)

The only problem is that I seldom write any of the recipes I make up down, and my wife gets a little annoyed when I come up with something she really likes, and knows I may not be able to repeat it. :(

BTW, does anyone else here make their own cream-of-[fill-in-the-blank] sauces? I like to when I have the time, but if my wife catches me, she rolls her eyes, and tells me no one does that, and asks me if I am feeling okay. :D

Tom

i voted. 1 to 3x a month. i go thru spurts of trying new recipes, then i'll fall back on tnt things for a while.

umm, just curious, what is less than 1x a month. wouldn't that be none at all? or does it mean you intend to try to make something new, but never got around to it? :)

I'm afraid I'm in a giant rut. I never really try new recipes.

That being said, when I cook I just throw things together and hardly ever measure
anything. So, even though I make the same dish time after time it's always different.

I did find a new shrimp recipe yesterday that I'm going to FORCE myself to make tonight... I'm always afraid of ruining a meal but... no pain no gain, right??

Buckytom, less than once a month might be somethig like, once every 2 months, or a few times a year. I wanted to cover all of the options.

pdswife, good luck on the shrimp recipe. Let us know how it turnes out.

I don't do the recipe thing so much... I've always blazed my own trail. Like I may look through a cookbook or some recipes for inspiration for a dish, maybe become familiar with the elements that are an integral part of that dish, but then I always put my own spin on it.

only about 1-3 times because idiot is pickier than i am and my son has severe milk allergies so i don't get to try too many new things alot

I've never really counted, but I would say anywhere from 10-12 times a month. Half of me wants to always put out new stuff, but the other half knows that I need to stick with what works, even with specials. If I'm doing a brand new special that I've never done before, usually myself, the restaurant manager/assistant manager, the cooks, and the waitstaff will all try it first to see if it passes, or if any flavors need to be tweaked.

Other than that, the formula is basic. Whatever sells we keep, whatever doesn't we switch out. K.I.S.S. No point in making a difficult job even harder.

1 - 3 a month. With just the 2 of us, it's hard to sometimes find the incentive to get creative, so I read a lot more good sounding recipes than I actually make. :rolleyes: There are also a number of TnT favorites that we couldn't live without, plus going out once or twice a week... well you get the picture. :LOL:

A new recipe is a way to find new taste that may contain special ingredients to use for another excited meal. :wacko:

Tomw said:
Same here! :)

The only problem is that I seldom write any of the recipes I make up down, and my wife gets a little annoyed when I come up with something she really likes, and knows I may not be able to repeat it. :(

BTW, does anyone else here make their own cream-of-[fill-in-the-blank] sauces? I like to when I have the time, but if my wife catches me, she rolls her eyes, and tells me no one does that, and asks me if I am feeling okay. :D

Tom

Tom, if your creation turns out good, write it down before you forget what you put in it!

And yes, I make my own "cream of" sauces sometimes, and I like them better than the canned because I can control the amount of salt, and the flavors are fresher.
The first cooking lesson I got from my grandma was how to make a white sauce, and I remember her telling me that I could use that basic tecnique to cook all kinds of things.

Hmm. Maybe I'm using a different definition. I'm always inventing new recipes (I voted before I read). But I have a wall of cookbooks, a couple decades of Gourmet mags, and who knows how many scraps of recipes here and there, and don't use them near as much as I wish. Every fall I tell hubby, "this year, at a minimum, once a month we're going to look at a cookbook and pick out a recipe, more exotic the better, and cook it." The flip side of that is that I'll look in the fridge and pantry and invent a dish probably every week or so. It is really sort of cumulative knowledge. As in, gee, that leftover XXXX with that can of YYYY and some ZZZZ will make a great ...... If that counts, then every few days!

Back
Top Bottom