Malbec World Day Dinner - 4/17/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Malbec World Day – Elegance doesn't need perfection

"Malbec World Day is celebrated on April 17, to commemorate the day when president Domingo Faustino Sarmiento of Argentina officially made it his mission to transform Argentina's wine industry. On that day, back in 1853, he tasked Michel Aimé Pouget, a French soil expert, to bring over new vines. Amongst his selection, was Malbec."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbec_World_Day

It's a beautiful spring day here, sunny with temperatures in the mid-50's. Dinner will be cheeseburgers on the grill with a side of oven fries. I think I'll have to open a bottle of malbec as well.

I haven’t got a clue as to what I’ll prepare or what we’ll eat tonight. I’ve still got some of those lovely, huge Red Argentine shrimp. Only about a half dozen or so, but these shrimp are so big that three of them is enough for a meal for us. I could stuff them Cajun-style, or make a garlic cream sauce and serve with pasta.

Right now, I’m making ghee in the oven. So easy, and so much better than butter!

Can anyone tell me what to do with flank steak besides cutting them up into strips and marinating them in teriyaki sauce and broiling them? Add some snap peas, water chestnuts etc. maybe mix in other stir fry veggies and serve it on a bed of rice? I bought a flank steak whole and cut it into strips. I usually do that, then freeze the cut up strips. I may just buy some prawn shrimp and broil the two together. Flank steak ain't cheap. My motis operendi is to cut them up into strips and then freeze them.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what to do with flank steak besides cutting them up into strips and marinating them in teriyaki sauce and broiling them? Add some snap peas, water chestnuts etc. maybe mix in other stir fry veggies and serve it on a bed of rice? I bought a flank steak whole and cut it into strips. I usually do that, then freeze the cut up strips. I may just buy some prawn shrimp and broil the two together. Flank steak ain't cheap. My motis operendi is to cut them up into strips and then freeze them.
I don't make flank steak all that often, but when I do, I score it, marinate it whole, then grill and slice. You could marinate them in lime juice, cumin, chili powder and Mexican oregano and make soft tacos. Or marinate in Italian dressing, grill or broil, slice and serve with a salad and Italian green beans.

I eat leftovers cold on a salad or in a wrap.

It's the third Wednesday of the month, so we're going to our favorite local seafood restaurant for their Sushi & Tunes night. They have a special sushi menu and live entertainment.

When I’m not using flank steak for stir-fries, I either grill and slice it or stuff, roll and roast it.

We had tacos (DD prepped veggies and cooked the meat). I made pintos beans in the Instant Pot. Started with dry beans and some smoked ham (meat, skin and fat) and some other stuff. I winged it. They were good. They need some tweaking next time.

I made a tray bake with chicken breast and some cut up Italian sausage. That was quite good and it was juicy. The chicken was really, really good, and I'm not usually a fan of chicken breast. The Italian sausage was okay. I probably won't use it in a tray bake again. The veg part was carrots, celeriac, onion, and black radish.

I made another batch of jambalaya in the IP, this time with some salmon cubed up, in place of shrimp. The brown rice and whole oats cooked well together that first time I tried it - cooked in the same time, 13 min, plus natural pressure release time, and looked almost the same mixed together. So this time, I used more oats - half and half this time. When they were done, I just stirred everything up, and spread the salmon on top, put the cover back on, and let it steam, with the power off - worked great!

I made another batch of jambalaya in the IP, this time with some salmon cubed up, in place of shrimp. The brown rice and whole oats cooked well together that first time I tried it - cooked in the same time, 13 min, plus natural pressure release time, and looked almost the same mixed together. So this time, I used more oats - half and half this time. When they were done, I just stirred everything up, and spread the salmon on top, put the cover back on, and let it steam, with the power off - worked great!

That's something new to me. :huh:

Salmon in jambalaya is not something I ever thought of, either.

CD

...stuff, roll and roast it.
That is the only way I know of having flank steak, since it was something my Mom prepared about once a year. I kinda remember her cutting a slit into it, and stuffing it like a chop or chicken breast.

Himself has very little appetite since he's been dealing with back pain for about the last week. Slowly, slowly, he's doing the therapy exercises that have helped him in the past, but in the meantime...*sigh* All we had were salads, and then rummage around for the almost last of the leftovers. I'm cooking a real meal tomorrow no matter how he feels! :LOL: Meanwhile, after a glass of not-Malbec (I have Merlot in the house) I'm feeling pretty mellow.

Last edited:
Flank is the cut we use for Ropa Vieja and Vaca Frita. Ropa recipe is from Memories of a Cuban Kitchen and Vaca is from Norman Van Aken.

Last Night's Air-Fried Chicken Breast with Jasmine Rice under an Orange Sauce, Peas & Leftie Carrots and Macaroni salad....
I couldn't decide on which way to present it, so ....

Air Fryer Chicken Breast - Orange Sauce.jpg

Air Fryer Chicken Breast - Orange Sauce 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom