"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
Head Chef

I agree that you are making it harder on yourself. I have always made a rough "week ahead" menu as part of my shopping list, I am now training my self to extend that a bit to become a more economical shopper, so I am planning further ahead...maybe three weeks, more like two and a half. and luckily my husband and I don't mind eating the same thing twice in a month so I have standby things, like salmon fillets, which I pan fry, serve with whatever rice we fancy and a seasonal veg....and never get bored of.

Also, I find that moving out side my comfort zone cooking wise keeps things interesting. We eat less meat than you plan to, and while I don't cook thinking vegetarian, our meals often don't need meat, and so we do fine. If your wife is a carb addict good artisan bread aand a wonderful soup, of which there are as many varieties as there re days of the year, would be great way of adding variety into a week.

Seasonal eating is always good, because the food feels right with the weather, and the veg etc taste better in season and then you know you have th chance to relish it before it disappeaars from domestic produce for a year. I would use that as you basis rather than a country/ethnicity theme. Do differnt things with what is easily to hand and seasonal and you'll be ok.

I have to say, the only eating things a few times blows my mind though. We have somethings over sand over. Like, when mussles first come into season here after the summer we both crave them and have them every friday for a month before leaving them for a while! And I am afraid, I make the same sauce everytime. I changed it once and my husband, normally a very adventurous eater, was devastated! LOL

Also, we often have salad as a main meal erspecially lovely if you have some deli treats...good cold meats or things like artichokes and peppers. Personally I think that seting out the "meats" and building around them rigidly might be a little claustrophobic for me.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
Master Chef

I was raised in a large family. When people say they won't eat "leftovers" I'm astonished. I have no children and have been married to a man who loves my cooking for over 20 years. Leftovers is how we live. I learned to cook for six, and still do. Sometimes I invite four other people over for dinner! But mostly I plan ahead and freeze a lot. For example, I may cook a roast, then freeze chunks of it. They may wind up being stroganof, stir fry, etc. I'll make meat sauce for spaghetti, but it will also be lasagna and other dishes. A roast chicken will be a basic roast chicken dish, and two or three other dishes. We don't eat the same meal day after day, thank heaven for freezers. We almost never eat the same meat two days in a row. We don't even eat meat every day, period. But when you cook a meal, think ahead. Almost any meat -- ham, poultry, beef -- can be stuck in the food processor with mayo, pickles, onions and other seasonings and make a great sandwich spread. Most fish or shellfish can be augmented with bread crumbs and eggs and some Chesapeake seasoning, then sauteed for great cakes ... that, I might add, my husband likes tossed on a burger roll for a sandwich the next day.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

I was raised in a large family. When people say they won't eat "leftovers" I'm astonished. I have no children and have been married to a man who loves my cooking for over 20 years. Leftovers is how we live. I learned to cook for six, and still do. Sometimes I invite four other people over for dinner! But mostly I plan ahead and freeze a lot. For example, I may cook a roast, then freeze chunks of it. They may wind up being stroganof, stir fry, etc. I'll make meat sauce for spaghetti, but it will also be lasagna and other dishes. A roast chicken will be a basic roast chicken dish, and two or three other dishes. We don't eat the same meal day after day, thank heaven for freezers. We almost never eat the same meat two days in a row. We don't even eat meat every day, period. But when you cook a meal, think ahead. Almost any meat -- ham, poultry, beef -- can be stuck in the food processor with mayo, pickles, onions and other seasonings and make a great sandwich spread. Most fish or shellfish can be augmented with bread crumbs and eggs and some Chesapeake seasoning, then sauteed for great cakes ... that, I might add, my husband likes tossed on a burger roll for a sandwich the next day.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #14
Master Chef

Oh, dear. I might add that I married a little late in life (I was pushing 30, hubby was pushing 40, and we were both full time workers). It was a second marriage for both of us. I went into the marriage with one agreement: the person who does the work is doing it correctly, period. If you want to do the work, go for it, otherwise, well, then shut up. My laundry, my cooking, etc, is perfect. My husband's dishwashing, perfect. His table settings, superb. His pasta -- superb. I grocery shop to die for. After almost 25 years, we live by this. If you don't like the way it is done, well then do it yourself.