Manic Monday! Dinner for Nov 18/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on my last day off and its only going to be Ken and I for dinner. I'm going to spend my whole day in the house puttering around the kitchen and being Suzy Homemaker. Its cold and crappy out there, we got a dump of snow so winter is here to stay.

I want to make something sort of special for dinner, but am still struggling with inspiration. I've got a whole chicken that I might roast, or some steaks (CI pan fry) or some pork chops. Dessert is going to be spice cake with brown sugar fudge icing because I woke up dreaming about making it.

What's going on your table tonight? I always get lovely ideas from you folks.

Alix, you want inspiration? Hold on to your socks.

We're having leftover Costco rotisserie chicken! WOW, huh?

I am cooking from the other end of the chicken tonight. Breakfast for dinner. I didn't have breakfast all weekend. Scrambled Eggs, a piece of leftover smoked salmon and fried up potatoes.

Things are a little more relaxed in the French bread baking department so I thought I'd go a little "out" for our dinner.

We'll have a Russian dish called Nalistniki, which consists of crepes filled with dill-seasoned beef mixture and served with a beef stock and sauteed mushroom sauce. Sides will include pickled matchstick beets and green beans. Iced tea to drink and nearly the last of the homemade chocolate pudding for dessert.

A very dear friend who was Russian taught me how to make this dish and it's one of my favorite meals.

This nice thing is, is that there'll be plenty of plain crepes left so we can have Coquilles St. Jacques crepes later this week. Another of my favorite meals.

Last edited:
Alix, you want inspiration? Hold on to your socks.

We're having leftover Costco rotisserie chicken! WOW, huh?

You guys had me thinking last week about Costco rotisserie chicken and left overs for soup.

I went to Costco and found they had leg/thigh quarters along side the rotisserie white meat.
I got 8 sections for $4.99. 16 pieces in total.
It made the most flavorful stock. It was a little dark though.

I learned if you use Costco cooked parts and want a less dark stock, remove the skin. But boy was it tasty.
It took half the time raw chicken would take and I think it was better.
I made a very good soup in under 3 hours from start to finish.
I de-fatted it too!

Last edited:
We did the chicken thing last night (FFFO Chicken). Tonight is pirogi, beets, peas, and maybe corn.

well alix,you've got the steaks & i reckon if it's 6:50pm here,it's about 1 or 2:50pm your side of the pond,you've time to nip out & get the prawns.sooo, how's about surf & turf?here's some piccies to help you decide;)!had a clear out of the freezer today,found the second half of a pair of ribeye's that i bought a week,or so,ago & some langoustines languishing in the bottom of the freezer....oh yeah,and mr yamamoto...couldn't eat him tho',he's almost part of the family now:ermm:!!
28 day dry aged welsh ribeye,scottish langoustines & a simple iceberg salad.sicilian nero d'avola rosé colder than a mafia hit man's heart.don't know about you guy's but i find there is something irresistible about the aroma of seafood shells charring on the grill.....reminds me of many beach bum holidays in sunnier climes with fresh seafood cooking on the grill...ahhhhhhh:cool:!!

Attachments

• RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 002.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 002.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 187
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 003.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 003.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 182
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 004.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 004.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 184
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 005.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 005.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 195
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 006.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 006.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 184
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 007.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 007.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 187
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 008.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 008.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 177
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 013.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 013.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 184
  • RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 016.JPG
    RIBEYE & LANGOUSTINES 016.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 182
Perfect, Harry. My mouth is watering.

Question: Welsh ribeye. Does that refer to the cut or something else? I noticed your ribeyes, while nice and marbled, don't really look like our (read the ones I see) ribeyes. Maybe the ones I see still have that "tail" on them.

Perfect, Harry. My mouth is watering.

Question: Welsh ribeye. Does that refer to the cut or something else? I noticed your ribeyes, while nice and marbled, don't really look like our (read the ones I see) ribeyes. Maybe the ones I see still have that "tail" on them.
thanks pac!!welsh refers to where it comes from.wales has some of the best produce in the uk,imo,and the beef is no exception.as a welshman,i like to buy welsh whenever i can.definitely ribeye mate.know what you mean about the "tails" tho',some do & some don't.think it depends on the butcher & what part of the rib it's cut from??.some of the ribeye's i see in the butchers have a huge "eye" of meat & a bit of a tail.not keen on those.nice,but not enough fat or marbling for my taste:yum:

Last edited:
I'm a loooong way west so your post came in at 1152am for me. That looks scrumptious Harry! I'm not budging from home though. Its stupid out there. No prawns unless Ken brings them home. I have striploin that I'll use though. Might make some sesame sauce to go with. Maybe potatoes anna?

Andy, Costco chicken is one of my faves but you're right, not too inspirational. Its actually cheaper to buy one of their roasted chickens than to buy the 3 pack of raw ones.

Can't help you Alix on the inspiration front. We'll be eating on the leftovers from the wedding reception this week! Roast beef, potatoes, ham, salads, spinach dip, and cake.

I am cooking from the other end of the chicken tonight. Breakfast for dinner. I didn't have breakfast all weekend. Scrambled Eggs, a piece of leftover smoked salmon and fried up potatoes.

Well that was too easy. Breakfast for Lunch. Skipped the 'taters. Toast and a 2nd slice w/ homemade jam.

Now doing a quick thaw with some chix wings for baked sticky wings and probably some broccoli or cauliflower or both. I love you can buy frozen mixed veggies and just pick out what you want.

I have spaghetti sauce simmering and the noodles are almost done. I added a lot of bell peppers, onions and garlic, so I feel we don't need a salad :angel: Besides, I have a civic league board meeting at 7 so I don't have a lot of time ;)

All this talk of rice I decided to make some rice, too :rolleyes:

Attachments

• crab cake dinner.jpg
    crab cake dinner.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 248
I'm looking longingly at Harry's and Pac's pics. I have a 12 hour fast for a wellness program blood draw tomorrow, so am making due with healthy leftovers.

I'm looking at them, too! Aren't they wonderful?

We had fried pork chops, kale greens, black-eyed peas, and gravy and biscuits. I'm currently exploring American Southern cooking, with very much help from Carl's Mamma and Gwen.

This was very good! I steamed the kale greens and we put a few drops of lemon juice on it. I seasoned the black-eyed peas with a piece of salt pork, black pepper, a tiny bit of minced garlic, a small amount of chopped onion and sage.

Southern foods are very good but very filling to the stomach!

With love,
~Cat

Today is Stirling's birthday, so we went to a nice Italian resto, Mozza, in our neighbourhood. I had a pasta dish with shrimp, garlic, EVOO, and cherry tomatoes. It was nummy. Stirling had a thin crust pizza from their wood fired oven and said it was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom