"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Oh my goodness! I didn't mean to upset anyone - it's just one of the first things I noticed when I moved over here to the USA and we started eating out in restaurants. How can I explain? In certain countries it is OK for women to wear shorts and go bare-headed into churches, in other countries it is not OK. I've heard the phrase "I want (insert menu item)" said so many thousands of times to servers that even though, with my particular upbringing, this would be considered somewhat rude, I just assumed that this was the norm over here....and not considered rude at all - rather just a figure of speech sort of thing. I have to say that Americans are generally some of the most polite & friendly people I have ever met - I never got called "Ma-am" or "Miss Lynda" in England, or had the door held open for me nearly so much, or received so many 'Thankyou' letters in my life! which is why I suppose, I found it stood out so much to hear so many people asking for things with an "I want". Maybe it's just a Colorado thing.... ??? Maybe it's because it was constantly drummed into me as a child that 'I want doesn't get' LOL! There are plenty of Brits with appalling table manners, I can vouch for that!

Unfortunately, Britain does have more than it's fair share of yobbish 'Lager Louts' who are extremely ill mannered, travel a lot (because air fares are so dirt cheap from the UK), and give the rest of us a bad name

Believe me, I love living here (apart from the lack of good bacon LOL!), have many great American friends, and wouldn't wish to offend anyone from this country or any other country - so if I have, I truly apologise

:oops:

Best wishes, Paint.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

You deleted too late, Buckytom LOL! But I'm glad I had the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings :)

Paint.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Yes to both of those PA!

Mudbug, the crazy part is that my mom, kids, & I took my grandma out for lunch one Saturday & she even got involved in the paper blowing! When I was growing up she wouldn't let us grandkids get away with anything. She spoiled us but we were expected to behave & have good manners. I have to de-program them more when they come home from my in-laws than I do when they come back from my parents. Even hubby has agreed with me on that. My in-laws get highly upset with me when I make the kids mind or get on to them about anything.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Ahhh, in-laws. Another whole topic..... :twisted:
Old 01-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i deleted my post so as not to upset you paint. sorry if i did. i was sure that you didn't mean it that way, but my feelings came out not unlike lava from a volcano. there are exceedingly few things that get me upset, but you found one, given what i had mentioned i have seen so many times.
again, sorry to make something out of really nothing, and thanks for your understanding...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Yes it is PA! I could write a very long book on mine! :roll:
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Paint I agree with you about people saying I want. I find it very disturbing how many people do say it. Another one is gimme. Gimme a steak with a large coke. I want extra fries with that. It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I think that it has just become a figure of speech. I am sure that most people who say it do not mean any harm, but it does bother me to a certain degree.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i get compliments on my son's manners all the time.
as soon as he started speaking i taught him to say
please, thank you, etc... it's how i was taught.
it's how my parents were taught and so on.

i absolutely hate when people talk and chew with there mouths full.
so disgusting. sitting next to parents whose children have no manners,
then rrealizing neither do the parents. slurping, burping among other bodily funtions ewww. most of all i hate when people don't even say please or thank you to the waiter/waitress. they're very simple words to say. oh and people sneezing/coughing and not covering there mouths.
bf does this all the time and i'm forever yelling at him for it. he's disgusting.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #19
Certified Executive Chef

I was about 4-5 years old and my mother was having one of her monthly luncheons and I was allowed to be there (why escapes me). I have no clue what she served but the lady next to me did not clean her plate, so I very kindly told her that if she had cleaned her plate like her mommy had told her she would not have all those wrinkles. My mother was mortified and everyone, including the lady, laughed. Out of the mouths of babes. Everyone one of us has been told to clean their plates because......... wonder how many excuses there are, I remember starving people somewhere, but other than these two I do not remember any.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I am always amazed when holidaying in European countries like Italy, Spain and Greece to see how well behaved the children are at mealtimes. Maybe the very relaxed way of life - and the 'no hurry' appreciation of food which is instilled in kids at an early age makes this so, I don't know.

Like Paint, I was brought up to be extremely polite - 'Please may I have' ... 'Please may I leave the table' etc; no elbows on tables ... I insisted my children did the same - and it certainly became second nature to them.

As Paint says - the British lager-louts are something else - so we have no room for complacency in the 'manners' stakes!

One thing we were taught in my family when I was a child, was the family rule of 'FHB'. The meaning? Well, being Scots and sociable and having friends or relatives drop in without prior arrangment (often at mealtimes) meant that sometimes the food for 2 adults and 3 children had to be stretched to accommodate these visitors. If it was at tea-time, with sandwiches, cakes, buns etc - Mum would hiss 'FHB'... This meant....

Family Hold Back! 8)

As children we often felt very hard done by, having to say 'no thanks' when asked if we wanted another slice of cake....