"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
I love Trader Joe's, Dave. If you venture up this way, we will have to make a trip....though...no two-buck chuck in MD stores.

Frank's corned beef and cabbage came out terrific. Irish potatoes, carrots and some onion rounded out the meal and gave nice color. His Irish soda bread was good too.

I planted strawberries in my strawberry pots this evening and will have chocolate ice cream for dessert!
__________________

__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Okay I officially want a Trader Joe's!!!!!! Irish Bangers!!!!

That look great and much better than mine did.

I ended up using NATTY BOH sausages, as they were the only option I had other than Italian. Grilled up onions and had it all over mash like that, but I didn't have any gravy/sauce. I used HP Brown sauce.

How did you make the sauce?
Whats HP Brown sauce?
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Okay I officially want a Trader Joe's!!!!!! Irish Bangers!!!!

That look great and much better than mine did.

I ended up using NATTY BOH sausages, as they were the only option I had other than Italian. Grilled up onions and had it all over mash like that, but I didn't have any gravy/sauce. I used HP Brown sauce.

How did you make the sauce?
Thanks! I was psyched to find bangers at TJ's, I was expecting to find them, it seemed like something they should have. They were really good too.

To make the sauce, I browned the sausages in a skillet, once browned I removed them from the pan (weren't fully cooked yet). I added a few tablespoons of butter to the pan and a whole large sweet onion and cooked them slowly until caramelized. I added beef broth (maybe around 3 cups, best guess) a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and the browned sausages. I cooked down the sauce to ramp up the flavor and thickened with a bit of cornstarch. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

It is like a really rich french onion soup. I recreated this from the bangers and mash that I had at a local Irish pub.
__________________
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig! (St. Patrick’s Day Blessings)
I boiled the corned beef this morning for 4 hours then turned it off and allowed it to cool in the pot. Removed it to a tray to carve. It was still slightly warm when I sliced it in nice slices, so I didn't reheat it. Bioled the potatoes and cabbage in spiced beef broth, steamed the broccoli for 5 minutes & dressed it. Steamed the carrots for 4 minutes. Served it with a blend for TJ's whole grain dijon mustard, Gulden’s spicy brown and Tabasco HOT mustard to dip in. Butter for the cabbage and potatoes.

Boiled corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, steamed fresh broccoli (dressed with EVOO, lemon juice, ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, ground dry garlic & ground red pepper flakes) and fresh carrot coins steamed with butter, ground sea salt and ground peppercorns.



You can cook that for me any day! I have never in my life cooked corned beef, not really sure why, I love it!
__________________
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #35
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I love Trader Joe's, Dave. If you venture up this way, we will have to make a trip....though...no two-buck chuck in MD stores.
LOL we just finished searching and the closest one to me is in Annapolis. Sounds like a road trip to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Whats HP Brown sauce?
It is an English sauce for meats, think A1, but a different flavor. It is really good on sausages. HP Brown Sauce England, 9-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food


Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Thanks! I was psyched to find bangers at TJ's, I was expecting to find them, it seemed like something they should have. They were really good too.

To make the sauce, I browned the sausages in a skillet, once browned I removed them from the pan (weren't fully cooked yet). I added a few tablespoons of butter to the pan and a whole large sweet onion and cooked them slowly until caramelized. I added beef broth (maybe around 3 cups, best guess) a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and the browned sausages. I cooked down the sauce to ramp up the flavor and thickened with a bit of cornstarch. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

It is like a really rich french onion soup. I recreated this from the bangers and mash that I had at a local Irish pub.
I'll have to try that (recipe copies and printed). I did mine on the grill and cooked the onions in a CI skillet on the grill to.
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
LOL we just finished searching and the closest one to me is in Annapolis. Sounds like a road trip to me.
Sounds like a plan! TJs and lunch on "end of the season" oysters!
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #37
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
You can cook that for me any day! I have never in my life cooked corned beef, not really sure why, I love it!
Thank you BC!!
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #38
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Sounds like a plan! TJs and lunch on "end of the season" oysters!
I'll have to check my calendar and see what's planned between now and Easter.
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Great looking sausages, mashed potatoes and gravy, bakechef. That's pretty much how I make my gravy with whatever meat I am cooking.

Very nice, Peeps. Love all the veggies. Nice array.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #40
Senior Cook
 
LindaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 274
I did corned beef in the crock pot - work from home so I sat here and smelled it all day. It was delicious, not much left, also had carrots, cabbage and boiled potatoes.
__________________

__________________
"Life is too short for ugly cowboys and slow horses."
LindaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.