March 17, 2011 - What is your St. Patrick's Day Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sprinkled some chicken thighs with ranch seasoning and put them in the slow cooker with a little chicken stock. I'll whip up an alfredo type sauce with mushrooms and garlic and add that in a few hours or so. Served over pasta.
That sounds fantastic Fred!!

BTW I missed ya!!

Corned beef $1.88/lb
Green Cabbage $0.17/LB

They were out of corned beef today but had plenty of cabbage :ohmy:

I remember just a few years ago cabbage was only $0.06 - $0.08/lb St. Patty week!!

Thanks MsM. The house is starting to smell edible.
Glad to see you again, too.

Wow. I'm jealous over those prices. My corned beef was $3.29/lb on sale... I'm not cooking it until tomorrow or Saturday though.

Thanks MsM. The house is starting to smell edible.
Glad to see you again, too.

Wow. I'm jealous over those prices. My corned beef was $3.29/lb on sale... I'm not cooking it until tomorrow or Saturday though.
I am shocked at how high the cost of cabbage is this year.

I made two home made beef and vegetable pot pies. I had the remains of a three day old loaf of fococcia, so rather than feed it to the birds, I cut away the crust, cubed the inside like large croutons, pieced it together on the top of the pie filling, sprinkled it with olive oil and baked as usual (375 for 35 minutes. It toasted beautifully.)

Sliced Corned Beef....
Potatoes.....
Steamed/Simmered Cabbage and a few Baby Bok Choy......
Jalapeno Cornbread......

Last edited:
Bangers and Mash here!

I forgot how good this was the last time I made it! I also made Irish brown bread, thanks Zereh for the brown bread recipe, it was great. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/tnt-irish-brown-bread-70858.html#post979592
SG1L3707.JPG

SG1L3719.JPG

SG1L3712.JPG

I did my corned beef in the oven in a foil pouch.
I coated it with stone ground mustard and the seasoning pack then added some guiness.

cabbage was done in a skillet with some green onions and fennel seed

carrots are simmering in beef broth and cumin

Potatoes are a no-no for me so we are having vegetable quinoa instead.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig! (St. Patrick’s Day Blessings)
I boiled the corned beef this morning for 4 hours then turned it off and allowed it to cool in the pot. Removed it to a tray to carve. It was still slightly warm when I sliced it in nice slices, so I didn't reheat it. Bioled the potatoes and cabbage in spiced beef broth, steamed the broccoli for 5 minutes & dressed it. Steamed the carrots for 4 minutes. Served it with a blend for TJ's whole grain dijon mustard, Gulden’s spicy brown and Tabasco HOT mustard to dip in. Butter for the cabbage and potatoes.

Boiled corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, steamed fresh broccoli (dressed with EVOO, lemon juice, ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, ground dry garlic & ground red pepper flakes) and fresh carrot coins steamed with butter, ground sea salt and ground peppercorns.

img_980184_0_506a91532af5cf53e448aff63374128a.jpg

Okay I officially want a Trader Joe's!!!!!! Irish Bangers!!!!

That look great and much better than mine did.

I ended up using NATTY BOH sausages, as they were the only option I had other than Italian. Grilled up onions and had it all over mash like that, but I didn't have any gravy/sauce. I used HP Brown sauce.

How did you make the sauce?

Bangers and Mash here!

I forgot how good this was the last time I made it! I also made Irish brown bread, thanks Zereh for the brown bread recipe, it was great. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/tnt-irish-brown-bread-70858.html#post979592

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Trader Joe's, Dave. If you venture up this way, we will have to make a trip....though...no two-buck chuck in MD stores.

Frank's corned beef and cabbage came out terrific. Irish potatoes, carrots and some onion rounded out the meal and gave nice color. His Irish soda bread was good too.

I planted strawberries in my strawberry pots this evening and will have chocolate ice cream for dessert!

I ended up using NATTY BOH sausages, as they were the only option I had other than Italian. Grilled up onions and had it all over mash like that, but I didn't have any gravy/sauce. I used HP Brown sauce.

Whats HP Brown sauce?

Thanks! I was psyched to find bangers at TJ's, I was expecting to find them, it seemed like something they should have. They were really good too.

To make the sauce, I browned the sausages in a skillet, once browned I removed them from the pan (weren't fully cooked yet). I added a few tablespoons of butter to the pan and a whole large sweet onion and cooked them slowly until caramelized. I added beef broth (maybe around 3 cups, best guess) a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and the browned sausages. I cooked down the sauce to ramp up the flavor and thickened with a bit of cornstarch. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

It is like a really rich french onion soup. I recreated this from the bangers and mash that I had at a local Irish pub.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig! (St. Patrick’s Day Blessings)
I boiled the corned beef this morning for 4 hours then turned it off and allowed it to cool in the pot. Removed it to a tray to carve. It was still slightly warm when I sliced it in nice slices, so I didn't reheat it. Bioled the potatoes and cabbage in spiced beef broth, steamed the broccoli for 5 minutes & dressed it. Steamed the carrots for 4 minutes. Served it with a blend for TJ's whole grain dijon mustard, Gulden’s spicy brown and Tabasco HOT mustard to dip in. Butter for the cabbage and potatoes.

Boiled corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, steamed fresh broccoli (dressed with EVOO, lemon juice, ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, ground dry garlic & ground red pepper flakes) and fresh carrot coins steamed with butter, ground sea salt and ground peppercorns.

img_980191_0_506a91532af5cf53e448aff63374128a.jpg

You can cook that for me any day! I have never in my life cooked corned beef, not really sure why, I love it!

Last edited:
I love Trader Joe's, Dave. If you venture up this way, we will have to make a trip....though...no two-buck chuck in MD stores.

LOL we just finished searching and the closest one to me is in Annapolis. Sounds like a road trip to me.

Whats HP Brown sauce?

It is an English sauce for meats, think A1, but a different flavor. It is really good on sausages. HP Brown Sauce England, 9-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Thanks! I was psyched to find bangers at TJ's, I was expecting to find them, it seemed like something they should have. They were really good too.

To make the sauce, I browned the sausages in a skillet, once browned I removed them from the pan (weren't fully cooked yet). I added a few tablespoons of butter to the pan and a whole large sweet onion and cooked them slowly until caramelized. I added beef broth (maybe around 3 cups, best guess) a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and the browned sausages. I cooked down the sauce to ramp up the flavor and thickened with a bit of cornstarch. I seasoned with salt and pepper.

It is like a really rich french onion soup. I recreated this from the bangers and mash that I had at a local Irish pub.

I'll have to try that (recipe copies and printed). I did mine on the grill and cooked the onions in a CI skillet on the grill to.

Great looking sausages, mashed potatoes and gravy, bakechef. That's pretty much how I make my gravy with whatever meat I am cooking.

Very nice, Peeps. Love all the veggies. Nice array.

I did corned beef in the crock pot - work from home so I sat here and smelled it all day. It was delicious, not much left, also had carrots, cabbage and boiled potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom