March 22, 2014.....what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
My daughter and grandson are coming over this afternoon. It's a beautiful day for grilling, so I pulled some chicken thighs out of the fridge. We'll have asparagus with it, and since I still have tons of fruit to use up, a nice fruit salad. Strawberry ice cream for dessert. :yum:

What's on everyone's menu today? :chef:

I'm in the middle of a cake order so dinner is often order in. It is also a celebration as when TB finishes his shift at 5 pm his is finally off morning shift after 6 months. (He hates mornings.)

That said, I am going to try and make either fried chicken or cacciatore around the cake. Neither has to go in the oven so that helps. We have both been having problems with our food intolerances so eating out is not really a good thing.

Now you're sounding like me, Andy. I hope you find more than gravy.

I'm going to have a mess of crab legs. I might cook some asparagus and potatoes, too.

I was going to stir-fry up some pork tenderloin to have along side of the risotto but might not get there. Have a huge blister on the roof of my mouth. I soooo love risotto!

Note to self: use only white mushrooms for chicken based risotto. Ok to use brown mushrooms for beef based risotto. Much prettier.

2nd note to self: stop test tasting and burning your mouth!

Attachments

• DSCN4569.jpg
    DSCN4569.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 172
Looks aside, I bought some white mushrooms the other day. They were on sale so I figured what the hey. I found them sorely lacking in flavor. I guess I have gotten too used to crimini. If I was making a salad I'd use white, but I won't buy them again to cook.

I sort of agree Pacanis, I almost always buy the brown crimini for their deeper flavour. But I'm learning it is not always better!

Should actually put this one in the disaster thread. Did Chef John's Creme of Mushroom Soup. chucked out the whole thing. Rather upset with myself. All those mushrooms!

They looked like mud and the taste was not delicate at all. It was disgusting.

Somebunny, slice up a bunch of onion and apples, any apple juice on hand? - if not, canned pears work too! Little garlic, herbs de provence, extra thyme, bay leaf.... yummy

DH took pork steak out of the freezer.
I hope I can come up with something different to do with them...

You know my favorite way to eat pork steaks. I can't remember cooking them another way since I came across St Louis BBQ pork steaks.

Chili relleno casserole, topped w/ salsa and sour cream and a green salad here.

The last time I made pork steaks I browned them and cooked them with sauerkraut, sauteed onions and diced apple.

Looks aside, I bought some white mushrooms the other day. They were on sale so I figured what the hey. I found them sorely lacking in flavor. I guess I have gotten too used to crimini. If I was making a salad I'd use white, but I won't buy them again to cook.

I got spoiled by the dried porcini mushrooms that I bought to make CarolPa's brown soup at Christmas. I take a couple of pieces run a knife through them and toss them into sauces, meatloaf, soup etc... The dried ones are shelf stable and have a very intense mushroom flavor. I still use the white buttons, if I can find some that look slightly bedraggled and brown. I find the older ones have better flavor, sort of like the difference between a green banana and a yellow banana.

Last edited:
Refried beans,onion and grated cheese burritos.
Sliced tomatoes and onions on shredded lettuce.
Lots of salsa.

Last edited:
I got spoiled by the dried porcini mushrooms that I bought to make CarolPa's brown soup at Christmas. I take a couple of pieces run a knife through them and toss them into sauces, meatloaf, soup etc... The dried ones are shelf stable and have a very intense mushroom flavor. I still use the white buttons, if I can find some that look slightly bedraggled and brown. I find the older ones have better flavor, sort of like the difference between a green banana and a yellow banana.

Interesting. Maybe I will try the spotted ones next time. Thanks for the tip.

I used to brown pork steaks and then toss a can of Del Monte stewed tomatoes in the pan and simmer a bit. Really quite good.

I pulled soup out of the freezer. Stirling had the soup with Italian sausage and I had tomato soup made with Andy's recipe. Yum. I also had a couple of slices of Ryvita with cretons and next, I will munch on some double cream Brie. :pig:

Himself finished the corned beef and cabbage. I had the last piece of fish from yesterday along with the last dab of potato salad and a pile of freshly-steamed broccoli. Only one more leftover in the fridge, then on to making new ones on Monday!

TB picked up some pizza on the way home. We have a place that makes some not too shabby gluten free pizza in the neighbourhood so that's what we had!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom