May 9th-National Foodies Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
As foodies we should all be celebrating by creating fantastic dishes for dinner, right?

In the spirit of the day, I'm reheating some Hungarian Goulash Soup and some crusty rolls for dinner.

How are you all celebrating?

eggplant lasagna--mmmm. Eggplant, tomato meat sauce, bechamel with parmesan and maybe some optional mozzarella.

Nothing is set in stone. But probably evening breakfast. Cast of characters - corn waffles, bacon, poached eggs and English muffins. Not sure who the final players will be. DD may want something else.

I hosted a gathering at my house last weekend and set up a street taco bar. As usual, I made enough to feed an army. Lots of leftovers. So pretty much every meal this week has been some variation on a Mexican theme. Tonight I think dinner will be shredded chicken salad with a creamy dressing.

Unfortunately, we decided on an easy dinner early this morning. Our baked chicken with swiss cheese, cream of mushroom soup, white wine, with stuffing cubes on top, served over noddles. Asparagus for a vege.

Today is my third attempt at making my planned meal for Derby Day - hot brown sammies and that Greek inspired salad with watercress and stuff. Maybe the problem is that I never had mint juleps on the menu? :huh: Yes, that must be it.

What we actually eat will be reported later. Meanwhile, I have some simple syrup to make right now...

Cat soooo asked for kippered herring for lunch. I said what? we usually don't eat lunch, but today she insisted. Kippered herring on a plate for her, with a 2nd morsel, on toast with sliced onion and yellow mustard for me.

Lunch was after I prepped and put a rack of spareribs on the grill. Now they are finished. Right when they were done, it started to rain, then the rain quit while I was coming up the back steps. So much for that. Cole slaw and a small bowl of regular tater salad is chilling in the fridge. Life is good.

??? I thought every day is foodies day!

Grilled B/S chicken thighs, marinated in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and a handful of herbs. Baked sweet potatoes, nuked broc.

Making use of my individual casseroles tonight. Baked lemon Cod Fish on beds of a mix of saute' mushrooms/onion/spinach mixed with a little stove top stuffing crumbs and butter.
I had some nice yellow squash so I also made my Summer Squash Casserole.

I’m not having a good day. I wound up having Lipton chicken noodle soup for dinner. DD and hub had waffles.

Mom made a nice chopped salad with just about everything you could think of that would be good in a salad, then she made an avocado dressing and tossed in a 1/2 pint if blueberries! Sprinkles with fresh shredded Parmesan, it was just right.

I loaded up a couple of skewers and grilled them. One had smoked sausage from Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville, TX, and some red onions. The other had some jumbo wild-caught Gulf shrimps. Both were seasoned with black pepper and granulated garlic.

The sausage and peppers went on the grill first. The shrimps went on for just a few minutes.

Both were very good, but I hate to say it, but the sausage and onions may have beaten the shrimps for "best in show." Combined, however, they played very well with each other. A shrimp, a piece of sausage and slice of onion was a big bite, but it worked.

CD

Attachments

• ShrimpSausage518-001.jpg
    ShrimpSausage518-001.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 194
Making use of my individual casseroles tonight...
Me too! Except that mine are round and held (finally) Hot Brown sandwiches. They. Were. Yummy! So was the Greek salad with bulgur and mozzarella. Himself said it was "interesting"...which is pretty much his way of saying "don't make it again". When I asked if I should pitch the recipe he said "no", so now I have no idea how to interpret his verbal clues anymore. :LOL: It was pretty filling, though, so maybe next time it will be a side salad to grilled chicken or pork. ~ Just got around to making juleps a little while ago. So smoooooth....

Attachments

• 20180509_214849.jpg
    20180509_214849.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 178
Me too! Except that mine are round and held (finally) Hot Brown sandwiches. They. Were. Yummy! So was the Greek salad with bulgur and mozzarella. Himself said it was "interesting"...which is pretty much his way of saying "don't make it again". When I asked if I should pitch the recipe he said "no", so now I have no idea how to interpret his verbal clues anymore. :LOL: It was pretty filling, though, so maybe next time it will be a side salad to grilled chicken or pork. ~ Just got around to making juleps a little while ago. So smoooooth....

Maybe you should have served "himself" a couple of juleps first. :LOL:

I'd love to have eaten one of those hot browns, because I've never had one, and really want to try one.

I'm happy to hear that you finally got around to making them. :chef:

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom