"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I wish the would open a jack In The Box on the east coast.......

The chicken bacon ranch salad at McDonalds is pretty good too.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

I don't think you should feel the need to "run & hide" or feel guilty at all for enjoying the occasional meal at a fast-food restaurant. Good grief!!

While I rarely eat at these places, when I am on the run & get a craving for it, I don't feel guilty at all for enjoying a burger & fries from any of these places. Remember - everything in moderation. It's not like you're eating there every day.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I also feel no lashes of guilt for eating at Mickey D's or BK if I need to. Actually, BK's salads are pretty good too - and HUGE.

You are exonerated in this court of opinion, Weed.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Head Chef

IC, we grew up in the land of the slider.

Now there are very few outlets left and there sure are not any in our neck of the woods.

But we can get them frozen in the supermarket.

We are in VA, northern part, sorta, but have no idea if they sell them on the West coast.

They are not cheap, but every once in a while we crave them.

There are copycat recipes, but have never tried one that really did the job.

And we have tried.

That's all I can add, take care.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
(hey, if I'm in McD's, I'm going for the quarter-pounder with cheese and medium fries, you kidding me?)
Lee
Lee, I only go about 2-3 times a year, and I always order the same thing...the quarter-pounder with cheese and medium fries. I guess great minds in the same channel!

A lot of kids get their first job at McDonalds. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Sounds like you had the asian salad ?
And I like McDonald's !!! Another one I
like alot is the Chicken BLT salad from
Wendy's.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I don't think you should feel the need to "run & hide" or feel guilty at all for enjoying the occasional meal at a fast-food restaurant. Good grief!!

While I rarely eat at these places, when I am on the run & get a craving for it, I don't feel guilty at all for enjoying a burger & fries from any of these places. Remember - everything in moderation. It's not like you're eating there every day.
Bravo! My sentiments exactly. They're not at the top of my list, and they're not at the bottom either. Some prepackaged foods that people eat taste terrible to me, but obviously they taste fine to many or they wouldn't buy them, and who am I to tell them that they're eating nasty stuff? I don't care for the elitist attitude I sometimes run into about fast food restaurants. Most of us, given our choice, would go to a fine restaurant or choose a home cooked dinner before we stop at White Castle or McDonald's, so it's not that we who grab take-out once in awhile are too dumb to differentiate. Even Julia Child said she liked an occasional McDonald's hamburger. Her honesty about food was one of the things I admired most about her.

BC
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Fast food has a place,when Im traveling[road trip}alone, I get and love the burgers and fries a total excuse I know it's bad but I need to get where Im going and Im not interested in sitting down in a place that I dont know I really dont like the stares I get get from the locals when you walk into a diner especially in Texas and Montana the good old boys dont understand a single female on the road yet if this is what I want ,this is what I do.
By the way I dont understand it but when I travel it does not matter how much I eat I just dont gain weight maybe its nerves.I dont know.So that makes it a bit more fun.Other than that Im still a chubby little seal.Thats what my DH calls me.Or squirrel girl because of the shells of the sunflower seeds that drop on the floor of my truck when I travel.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
But I wish they'd open up a White Castle on the West Coast. I'm really jonesin' for a sack of slyders.
I have a carton in my freezer I bought at the market. You can get 'em with or without cheese. There's always Tommy's, but it's not the same. I liked the Big and Tasty (Junk in the Box?). Called 'em big and messy. lol Hey, that fillet 'o fish, isn't bad either.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #20
Senior Cook

You know what? I only eat at a fast-food place about once a month or so, when I'm in a hurry. However, having said that, I love the ciabatta cheeseburger at Jack-in-the-Box! (Or whatever they call it!)

Yes, I believe firmly in cooking your own stuff from scratch. However, I also believe in convenience when appropriate, and that most of what "they" tell you is total B.S., as in "The only fat people in the world are Americans." There are no fat Europeans? Give me a break! Of course I'm exaggerating a bit here, but I'm sure you get my point.

I don't worry about it, and in fact I think that a lot of the health problems in America have to do with people worrying over health problems.

Go ahead and like your salad, and be happy about it! And what's more, I respect you all the more for saying so!

Kelly