"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I've never had 'em either, but I've heard there ain't no pleasure!

Although if your desire is to give the system a heckuva cleaning, dropping a few slyders is a lot like calling Roto Rooter!
I think it's one of those things where you really like them or you really hate them.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

there are several white castles near me. i have to be completely hammered to eat a rat burger: aka murder-burger, aka slider, aka fart burger.

gw, come down from thine pedestal, and enjoy mickey d's, or my preference wendy's, once in a while. it has it's place in the gastronomic universe.

to everything, there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. (turn darnit!, before we run into the drive thru...)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:26 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Kelly
You are absolutely right - there are plenty of fat Europeans.... but to be honest, this has been aided and abetted by the arrival fast food chains like McD's. Interestingly, many of the McD franchises are closing down here, their business affected by parents seeing the Jamie Oliver series on school dinners - and showing what kids eat instead of good fresh food - both supplied by the schools and by fast food outlets.
__________________________________________________ __________

McD's were not around in Europe when I was growing up. When my family were young, none of them liked the hamburgers from any of the chains and neither did I - so it has never been part of my eating experience. If I want a snack type meal, or fast food - I go to one of our local sandwich shops (not SUBWAY, which has made an appearance here over the past few years), where they make it up to my specifications - or I go to one of our chain shops, Marks and Spencer, whose sandwich varieties is huge and most of which are absolutely delicious.

That doesn't mean I'm being elitist, just means that I personally do not like the food served by these chains.... I don't like their 'fries', preferring to eat chips from a chip shop whenever I have that absolute craving for greasy food!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:12 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

ish, i think you're stretching facts to make your point, and i doubt it can be directly linked to americanization.

just an fyi, mcdonald's is closing about 25 of 1250 restaurants. that's only 2%.

no offense intended of course, but you made it sound like people are avoiding it in droves because of a national health crisis.

i've read many of your posts about the (very enviable) way you've chosen to eat. i doubt that it's even close to the norm in the u.k..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Well, BT - it's certainly the norm in my circle - I'm not the only one deeply concerned with the way food is raised, killed and prepared - you only have to read British papers to see that I'm one in millions! However, we have our share of lardy-butts, too - I've never denied that Just cos I don't like McDs or Subway doesn't mean that they don't do a roaring business in the UK, of course they do - those chains haven't globalised for the good of anyone's health, they've globalised for profit and because people LIKE their products (British people included )

I don't like the food that such places sell - but I am not the food police, and I won't be holding placards outside the fast-food outlets demanding their closure or stopping anyone from eating them, if they like the food. It's only my opinion I'm stating on here...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Choosing to eat or not to eat at a fast food restaurant is still a free will decision. No one is holding a gun to your head. I cannot blame anyone for the fact that I'm overweight except myself. KFC,McD, BK and Wendy's just expand my gluttonous options. What's for lunch?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Well, mine was a virtuous chicken and salad sandwich, no mayonnaise or dressing in granary bread, an apple and a bottle of Evian mineral water...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

You know the chicken's morals?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Indeed I DO.... it was an organic bird, with nary a stain on its character...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Indeed I DO.... it was an organic bird, with nary a stain on its character...

...leaving behind all the morally dubious ones for the rest of the population to deal with. I guess you could ship them all off to Australia...

...the birds, not the rest of the population.