McDonalds Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigDog said:
I've never had 'em either, but I've heard there ain't no pleasure! :ohmy:

Although if your desire is to give the system a heckuva cleaning, dropping a few slyders is a lot like calling Roto Rooter! :sick:

I think it's one of those things where you really like them or you really hate them.

there are several white castles near me. i have to be completely hammered to eat a rat burger: aka murder-burger, aka slider, aka fart burger.

gw, come down from thine pedestal, and enjoy mickey d's, or my preference wendy's, once in a while. it has it's place in the gastronomic universe.

to everything, there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. (turn darnit!, before we run into the drive thru...)

Last edited:
Kelly
You are absolutely right - there are plenty of fat Europeans.... but to be honest, this has been aided and abetted by the arrival fast food chains like McD's. :) Interestingly, many of the McD franchises are closing down here, their business affected by parents seeing the Jamie Oliver series on school dinners - and showing what kids eat instead of good fresh food - both supplied by the schools and by fast food outlets.

McD's were not around in Europe when I was growing up. When my family were young, none of them liked the hamburgers from any of the chains and neither did I - so it has never been part of my eating experience. If I want a snack type meal, or fast food - I go to one of our local sandwich shops (not SUBWAY, which has made an appearance here over the past few years), where they make it up to my specifications - or I go to one of our chain shops, Marks and Spencer, whose sandwich varieties is huge and most of which are absolutely delicious.

That doesn't mean I'm being elitist, just means that I personally do not like the food served by these chains.... I don't like their 'fries', preferring to eat chips from a chip shop whenever I have that absolute craving for greasy food!

ish, i think you're stretching facts to make your point, and i doubt it can be directly linked to americanization.

just an fyi, mcdonald's is closing about 25 of 1250 restaurants. that's only 2%.

no offense intended of course, but you made it sound like people are avoiding it in droves because of a national health crisis.

i've read many of your posts about the (very enviable) way you've chosen to eat. i doubt that it's even close to the norm in the u.k..

Well, BT - it's certainly the norm in my circle - I'm not the only one deeply concerned with the way food is raised, killed and prepared - you only have to read British papers to see that I'm one in millions! However, we have our share of lardy-butts, too - I've never denied that :ermm: Just cos I don't like McDs or Subway doesn't mean that they don't do a roaring business in the UK, of course they do - those chains haven't globalised for the good of anyone's health, they've globalised for profit and because people LIKE their products (British people included :( )

I don't like the food that such places sell - but I am not the food police, and I won't be holding placards outside the fast-food outlets demanding their closure or stopping anyone from eating them, if they like the food. It's only my opinion I'm stating on here...

Choosing to eat or not to eat at a fast food restaurant is still a free will decision. No one is holding a gun to your head. I cannot blame anyone for the fact that I'm overweight except myself. KFC,McD, BK and Wendy's just expand my gluttonous options. What's for lunch?

Well, mine was a virtuous chicken and salad sandwich, no mayonnaise or dressing in granary bread, an apple and a bottle of Evian mineral water...:)

Ishbel said:
Indeed I DO.... it was an organic bird, with nary a stain on its character...:)

...leaving behind all the morally dubious ones for the rest of the population to deal with. I guess you could ship them all off to Australia...

...the birds, not the rest of the population.

I am not a fan of fast food at all. When I was younger I loved it. I think part of that had to do with the fact that my parents would only let us have it once or twice a year so it was really a treat.

I also feel that the quality of fast food years ago was much different than it is today. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it.

I will confess to getting BK or Wendys every once in a while. When the food is prepared well (as well as it can be) then some items can be quite tasty. The problem I have though is that it is a crap shoot. Am I going to get a burger that looks and tastes like the one on the commercial or am I going to get something were the tomatoes are more green than red, the burger is gray and only half on the bun, the bun is stale, the lettuce has brown spots, the cheese is not melted, etc.

I think it is great that you found a salad at McD's that you think tastes so great. Nothing wrong with that at all in my book.

Andy M. said:
...leaving behind all the morally dubious ones for the rest of the population to deal with. I guess you could ship them all off to Australia...

...the birds, not the rest of the population.

Unfortunately, that solution is no longer available to Britannia. :) The morally dubious probably end up in a burger :angel:

Ishbel said:
Unfortunately, that solution is no longer available to Britannia. :) The morally dubious probably end up in a burger :angel:

...but not one from McDonalds, of course!

Well, they probably COULD end up there, but as I don't patronise their establishments, I'll never know. :) :cool:

Wow! I really opened up a can of worms. The "duck, run & hide" part was absolutely tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a food snob and have eaten my share of Jack-in the Box, Wendy's, McDonalds, etc. before I was diagnosed diabetic. It's not my favorite food, but then again, it's not my worst either. I love that rediculous stuff they call Potted Meat, mixed with sweet pickle relish, and Miracle Whip Salad dressing, on whole wheat toast of course. I also love hot dogs, hot or cold. And those nasty buritoes you get from the gas station, if they weren't so filled with grease and carbs (80 carbohydrates per jumbo hot beef burito!) I'd chow down one every day. They're cheap and for some reason I can't begin to understand, I like them, soy bean meal and all.

Of course I prefer to make my own food. I like that I can control the ingredients, that I can control the quality, and that I occasionally come up with something that gives me braggin rights. But most of all, I really enjoy making something for someone else that they just adore.

In any case, I'm sorry that I came off as an elitest. I'm really not. I was just poking fun at everyone here because we have so many great cooks on this site, people I respect. And thought there are many, I am still amazed at people who now virtually nothing about how to cook even the most simple meals.

As my wife has learned over many years, don't always take me so seriously. I'm a joker and a 50 year old kid at heart. I only wish I still had that 20 year old body. It was such a good one. Much better than the one I have now, though this one isn't so bad. I still keep up with most 35 year olds:).

Oh, and in the joker vein, I am convinced that one of the most enjoyable things a parent can do, is to sneak into the bathroom where one of your loving children is taking a hot shower (this is best with young teens, especially boys), and throw a large cup of ice-water over the shower curtain. No chance of scalding anyone with that gag. Extremely funny, but safe. Just beware, if you're going to do it, be gracious when it's done back. But put on a good show.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom