McDonalds Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My youngest daughter works for "gasp!" McDonald's restaurant. She brought home with her the other night, a sesame, chicken salad from the same establishment. She had me try it. I was truly blown away! It had just the right amount of sesame oil flavor. I don't remember what salad dressing she put on it, but it was sweet and tangy and went perfectly with the salad. It was amazing. The flavor was great. It was the first truly good food that I've ever eaten at McDonalds.

Ok, I'm gonna run and hide now.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

As well you might, Goodweed!:cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist that comment - but I've eaten in McDs only about 5 times in my life..... so I don't really have anything to add to whether their salads are 'good' or not!!!

I commend you on your open mind and willingness to speak up about the subject.

I eat fast food on rare occasions. Not because I don't like it, rather because I cannot afford the fat and resulting calories, the trans fats and salt, etc.

I actually like fast food. I don't make the mistake of comparing a McDonald's burger to the burgers I make at home or can buy at a real burger joint. They are different things.

So I occasionally grab a Big Mac, Whopper or Spicy Chicken at McD, BK or Wendy's and feel guilty about it or feel like I'm "slumming". And besides, the fries are really good!

I love McDonald's and would eat burgers and fries there all the time, except that I'd be enormous. I've never tried that salad (hey, if I'm in McD's, I'm going for the quarter-pounder with cheese and medium fries, you kidding me?) but I did hear that it's delicous, and this from a person who typically snubs all fast-food joints.

Lee

I have tried the salad as well, and it is good. Fresh, very nice mix of greens, with edamame, almonds, and your choice of fried or grilled chicken with orange glaze sliced on top. Not your average fast food meal.

Now if they would just hand em out with real silverware instead of plastic!

Andy M. said:
I actually like fast food. I don't make the mistake of comparing a McDonald's burger to the burgers I make at home or can buy at a real burger joint. They are different things.

So I occasionally grab a Big Mac, Whopper or Spicy Chicken at McD, BK or Wendy's and feel guilty about it or feel like I'm "slumming". And besides, the fries are really good!

Hey Mickey D's rocks man. But I wish they'd open up a White Castle on the West Coast. I'm really jonesin' for a sack of slyders.

ironchef said:
Hey Mickey D's rocks man. But I wish they'd open up a White Castle on the West Coast. I'm really jonesin' for a sack of slyders.

I've never had the pleasure...

I'm with Andy M - I actually like McD's and Wendy's - but we don't visit their often - unhealthy ---- but when I do - watch out! Goodweed, I have tried that salad too - it was much better than I remember their salads being.

Andy M. said:
ironchef said:

I've never had the pleasure...

I've never had 'em either, but I've heard there ain't no pleasure! :ohmy:

Although if your desire is to give the system a heckuva cleaning, dropping a few slyders is a lot like calling Roto Rooter! :sick:

BigDog said:
I've never had 'em either, but I've heard there ain't no pleasure! :ohmy:

Although if your desire is to give the system a heckuva cleaning, dropping a few slyders is a lot like calling Roto Rooter! :sick:

I think the pleasure comes when you eat them at 2 am after alot of cocktails. At least that was true in my day - now I can't stand the smell (of course, that is when I am sober).:ROFLMAO:

I don't think you should feel the need to "run & hide" or feel guilty at all for enjoying the occasional meal at a fast-food restaurant. Good grief!!

While I rarely eat at these places, when I am on the run & get a craving for it, I don't feel guilty at all for enjoying a burger & fries from any of these places. Remember - everything in moderation. It's not like you're eating there every day.

I also feel no lashes of guilt for eating at Mickey D's or BK if I need to. Actually, BK's salads are pretty good too - and HUGE.

You are exonerated in this court of opinion, Weed.

IC, we grew up in the land of the slider.

Now there are very few outlets left and there sure are not any in our neck of the woods.

But we can get them frozen in the supermarket.

We are in VA, northern part, sorta, but have no idea if they sell them on the West coast.

They are not cheap, but every once in a while we crave them.

There are copycat recipes, but have never tried one that really did the job.

And we have tried.

That's all I can add, take care.

QSis said:
(hey, if I'm in McD's, I'm going for the quarter-pounder with cheese and medium fries, you kidding me?)
Lee

Lee, I only go about 2-3 times a year, and I always order the same thing...the quarter-pounder with cheese and medium fries. I guess great minds in the same channel!

A lot of kids get their first job at McDonalds. Nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like you had the asian salad ?
And I like McDonald's !!! Another one I
like alot is the Chicken BLT salad from
Wendy's.

BreezyCooking said:
I don't think you should feel the need to "run & hide" or feel guilty at all for enjoying the occasional meal at a fast-food restaurant. Good grief!!

While I rarely eat at these places, when I am on the run & get a craving for it, I don't feel guilty at all for enjoying a burger & fries from any of these places. Remember - everything in moderation. It's not like you're eating there every day.

Bravo! My sentiments exactly. They're not at the top of my list, and they're not at the bottom either. Some prepackaged foods that people eat taste terrible to me, but obviously they taste fine to many or they wouldn't buy them, and who am I to tell them that they're eating nasty stuff? I don't care for the elitist attitude I sometimes run into about fast food restaurants. Most of us, given our choice, would go to a fine restaurant or choose a home cooked dinner before we stop at White Castle or McDonald's, so it's not that we who grab take-out once in awhile are too dumb to differentiate. Even Julia Child said she liked an occasional McDonald's hamburger. Her honesty about food was one of the things I admired most about her.

BC

:) Fast food has a place,when Im traveling[road trip}alone, I get and love the burgers and fries a total excuse I know it's bad but I need to get where Im going and Im not interested in sitting down in a place that I dont know I really dont like the stares I get get from the locals when you walk into a diner especially in Texas and Montana the good old boys dont understand a single female on the road yet if this is what I want ,this is what I do.
By the way I dont understand it but when I travel it does not matter how much I eat I just dont gain weight maybe its nerves.I dont know.So that makes it a bit more fun.Other than that Im still a chubby little seal.Thats what my DH calls me.Or squirrel girl because of the shells of the sunflower seeds that drop on the floor of my truck when I travel.:LOL:

ironchef said:
But I wish they'd open up a White Castle on the West Coast. I'm really jonesin' for a sack of slyders.

I have a carton in my freezer I bought at the market. You can get 'em with or without cheese. :) There's always Tommy's, but it's not the same. I liked the Big and Tasty (Junk in the Box?). Called 'em big and messy. lol Hey, that fillet 'o fish, isn't bad either.

Last edited:
You know what? I only eat at a fast-food place about once a month or so, when I'm in a hurry. However, having said that, I love the ciabatta cheeseburger at Jack-in-the-Box! (Or whatever they call it!)

Yes, I believe firmly in cooking your own stuff from scratch. However, I also believe in convenience when appropriate, and that most of what "they" tell you is total B.S., as in "The only fat people in the world are Americans." There are no fat Europeans? Give me a break! Of course I'm exaggerating a bit here, but I'm sure you get my point.

I don't worry about it, and in fact I think that a lot of the health problems in America have to do with people worrying over health problems.

Go ahead and like your salad, and be happy about it! And what's more, I respect you all the more for saying so!

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom