"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Master Chef

I don't forget what I cooked but, I do forget when I cooked it.

It gets a little dicey on musgoe night!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Odette, I live in an old, shotgun-style house (if that isn't a common term where you live, it simply means it is one long row-house, one room after another. Also seen them called rail-road houses). Mine is five rooms long, with the bathroom/washroom/utility room at one end, a front parlor at the front. I often get towards the back (where the kitchen is) and wonder, what in the $%^&* I got up for? What was funny is that when my last doggie was suffering from a bit of dementia, I could see her getting up and wandering towards the back of the house and wondering why. Luckily, instead of just a front and back door, we have two side doors, so I could open one wherever she forgot her purpose and usher her out.
We don't use that term often but I know exactly what you mean
I keep forgetting why I go into rooms, why I phoned someone, where I put things, if I ate and even what else I wanted to type here

I've often read books and had to read entire chapters over because I forgot what I read the night before.
I know most people forget things when they have a lot on their minds but since I forget so much so often and I'm only 31, I do worry about it.
One of my grans had alzheimer's and the other went senile. Don't want to lose my pip

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Do any of you cook so many meals per week that you forget what you cooked, when? Am I suffering from dementia?
One does not rule out the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's not dementia...you just have better things to think about and remember. Heck, I never know what day it is...
Thanks for the set up but I will let this one go....
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I take a shower, I always wash in the same order. It's not that I can't remember if I washed some bit, I can remember washing it perfectly well, but was it today?

I think sometimes other stuff is similar. We've done it so many times that it merges into one endless memory.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I take a shower, I always wash in the same order. It's not that I can't remember if I washed some bit, I can remember washing it perfectly well, but was it today?

I think sometimes other stuff is similar. We've done it so many times that it merges into one endless memory.
When I had dogs on heart meds 2x day, I couldn't remember if I gave the meds or not because the routine was always the same. Having those pill containers helped--oops, there are still pills in there for this morning. Routines become so embedded in our minds that we sometimes do forget--did I do this?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

My SIL is too organized to forget what she cooked each night. She plans menus for 2 weeks and posts it on the door. She even has her grocery list made up by aisles and posted so when something is gone she just checks it on the list and can go up and down the aisles getting what she needs. Me, I tend to forget a lot. I don't like to plan that far in advance because it may end up spaghetti night and I'd really rather have chicken.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
My SIL is too organized to forget what she cooked each night. She plans menus for 2 weeks and posts it on the door. She even has her grocery list made up by aisles and posted so when something is gone she just checks it on the list and can go up and down the aisles getting what she needs. Me, I tend to forget a lot. I don't like to plan that far in advance because it may end up spaghetti night and I'd really rather have chicken.
I just grab things out of the fridge/freezer and rarely plan meals except when I know I have to take a lunch and be on a client's site. Most of what I make are "one offs" because I don't follow a recipe and if I make it again, it won't be the same. I'm working on empty my freezers before garden season.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone! I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a room, forgotten why I was there and had to go back to my starting point to look for what triggered me to go there.

I have sometimes forgotten to add an ingredient and see it sitting out on the counter when it's too late.

There's more but I can't recall what I was going to say.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Isn't it nice to know that none of us are alone in this world?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone! I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a room, forgotten why I was there and had to go back to my starting point to look for what triggered me to go there.

I have sometimes forgotten to add an ingredient and see it sitting out on the counter when it's too late.
I recognize all of that.

Quote:
There's more but I can't recall what I was going to say.

I recognize that too.