Meal Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do any of you cook so many meals per week that you forget what you cooked, when? Am I suffering from dementia? I only cooked dinner about 4 hours ago, and I looked at tonight's site for food, and had to actually go and look at what pans needed to be put away to remind me (no biggie, Fajitas). BUT ... then decided to go back over the past few weeks. Last night was pork snitzels and risotto. We almost always go out Friday night, but what did I cook Saturday? It's sometimes like trying to remember if you tied your shoes this morning. They are on your feet, they are tied, so you must have. And while I reheat my own leftovers often enough, I do usually cook from scratch.

It's not dementia...you just have better things to think about and remember. Heck, I never know what day it is...

Yeah I sometimes can't recall what I cooked either. I just write it off to "it must not have been all that great" LOL

I don't post in the threads all the time not because I don't want to, but I just forget. Four days a week we eat at 1 pm, Friday and Saturday we eat whenever and Sunday is always after 5:30 pm. It really gets confusing not only what but when we eat!

I try to make a menu so I know what I need to take out of the freezer or pick up from the store, but I forget to check and am not prepared so I have to make something else and throw the whole schedule off!

So, no, Claire, you are not alone! :wacko::)

Odette, I live in an old, shotgun-style house (if that isn't a common term where you live, it simply means it is one long row-house, one room after another. Also seen them called rail-road houses). Mine is five rooms long, with the bathroom/washroom/utility room at one end, a front parlor at the front. I often get towards the back (where the kitchen is) and wonder, what in the $%^&* I got up for? What was funny is that when my last doggie was suffering from a bit of dementia, I could see her getting up and wandering towards the back of the house and wondering why. Luckily, instead of just a front and back door, we have two side doors, so I could open one wherever she forgot her purpose and usher her out.

And, Princess, since my husband retired, I do wake up and have to ask myself what day of the week it is. I usually take several exercise classes a week, so have them anchored in my mind. I'm about to start that again (finally!) But since July (hip fracture) everything went down hill and no structure at all. So I wake every morning and wonder. Tuesday? Saturday? Thank heaven for the computer!

And, Princess, since my husband retired, I do wake up and have to ask myself what day of the week it is. I usually take several exercise classes a week, so have them anchored in my mind. I'm about to start that again (finally!) But since July (hip fracture) everything went down hill and no structure at all. So I wake every morning and wonder. Tuesday? Saturday? Thank heaven for the computer!

I live in last week at work as our assessments for patients are based on the last 7 days. So I know what today is for about two hours. My only clue most days is which day I opened to get my pills...

We usually have to recount what we had when deciding what to have. Lots of times I can't remember and have to go through the days of the week trying to list what we had, so we don't have it again too soon....I have a thing with eating the same thing twice in a short amount of time...:LOL:

Yeah I sometimes can't recall what I cooked either. I just write it off to "it must not have been all that great" LOL

Or maybe, great has become commonplace at your house, and so, isn't as memorable. Now, to be memorable, it has to be spectacular :D.

I've had an iffy short term memory all my life. It's iffy, because if it's something I am interested in, I can read it, or hear it, or see it, and remember it for life. But if it's something that's a chore, or just something that I need to remember, but doesn't tweek my interest, I'm in trouble.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Odette, I live in an old, shotgun-style house (if that isn't a common term where you live, it simply means it is one long row-house, one room after another. Also seen them called rail-road houses). Mine is five rooms long, with the bathroom/washroom/utility room at one end, a front parlor at the front. I often get towards the back (where the kitchen is) and wonder, what in the $%^&* I got up for? What was funny is that when my last doggie was suffering from a bit of dementia, I could see her getting up and wandering towards the back of the house and wondering why. Luckily, instead of just a front and back door, we have two side doors, so I could open one wherever she forgot her purpose and usher her out.

We don't use that term often but I know exactly what you mean :)
I keep forgetting why I go into rooms, why I phoned someone, where I put things, if I ate and even what else I wanted to type here :LOL:

I've often read books and had to read entire chapters over because I forgot what I read the night before.
I know most people forget things when they have a lot on their minds but since I forget so much so often and I'm only 31, I do worry about it.
One of my grans had alzheimer's and the other went senile. Don't want to lose my pip :LOL:

When I take a shower, I always wash in the same order. It's not that I can't remember if I washed some bit, I can remember washing it perfectly well, but was it today?

I think sometimes other stuff is similar. We've done it so many times that it merges into one endless memory.

When I take a shower, I always wash in the same order. It's not that I can't remember if I washed some bit, I can remember washing it perfectly well, but was it today?

I think sometimes other stuff is similar. We've done it so many times that it merges into one endless memory.
When I had dogs on heart meds 2x day, I couldn't remember if I gave the meds or not because the routine was always the same. Having those pill containers helped--oops, there are still pills in there for this morning. Routines become so embedded in our minds that we sometimes do forget--did I do this?

My SIL is too organized to forget what she cooked each night. She plans menus for 2 weeks and posts it on the door. She even has her grocery list made up by aisles and posted so when something is gone she just checks it on the list and can go up and down the aisles getting what she needs. Me, I tend to forget a lot. I don't like to plan that far in advance because it may end up spaghetti night and I'd really rather have chicken.

My SIL is too organized to forget what she cooked each night. She plans menus for 2 weeks and posts it on the door. She even has her grocery list made up by aisles and posted so when something is gone she just checks it on the list and can go up and down the aisles getting what she needs. Me, I tend to forget a lot. I don't like to plan that far in advance because it may end up spaghetti night and I'd really rather have chicken.
I just grab things out of the fridge/freezer and rarely plan meals except when I know I have to take a lunch and be on a client's site. Most of what I make are "one offs" because I don't follow a recipe and if I make it again, it won't be the same. I'm working on empty my freezers before garden season:).

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone! I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a room, forgotten why I was there and had to go back to my starting point to look for what triggered me to go there.

I have sometimes forgotten to add an ingredient and see it sitting out on the counter when it's too late.

There's more but I can't recall what I was going to say.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone! I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a room, forgotten why I was there and had to go back to my starting point to look for what triggered me to go there.

I have sometimes forgotten to add an ingredient and see it sitting out on the counter when it's too late.
I recognize all of that.

There's more but I can't recall what I was going to say.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:
I recognize that too. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom