"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Master Chef

Meal Confusion

Do any of you cook so many meals per week that you forget what you cooked, when? Am I suffering from dementia? I only cooked dinner about 4 hours ago, and I looked at tonight's site for food, and had to actually go and look at what pans needed to be put away to remind me (no biggie, Fajitas). BUT ... then decided to go back over the past few weeks. Last night was pork snitzels and risotto. We almost always go out Friday night, but what did I cook Saturday? It's sometimes like trying to remember if you tied your shoes this morning. They are on your feet, they are tied, so you must have. And while I reheat my own leftovers often enough, I do usually cook from scratch.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's not dementia...you just have better things to think about and remember. Heck, I never know what day it is...

Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Yeah I sometimes can't recall what I cooked either. I just write it off to "it must not have been all that great" LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Master Chef

I forget often! The worst is when I go into a room and forget why I went there.
My mind is in a million places at the moment lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

I don't post in the threads all the time not because I don't want to, but I just forget. Four days a week we eat at 1 pm, Friday and Saturday we eat whenever and Sunday is always after 5:30 pm. It really gets confusing not only what but when we eat!

I try to make a menu so I know what I need to take out of the freezer or pick up from the store, but I forget to check and am not prepared so I have to make something else and throw the whole schedule off!

So, no, Claire, you are not alone!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

Odette, I live in an old, shotgun-style house (if that isn't a common term where you live, it simply means it is one long row-house, one room after another. Also seen them called rail-road houses). Mine is five rooms long, with the bathroom/washroom/utility room at one end, a front parlor at the front. I often get towards the back (where the kitchen is) and wonder, what in the $%^&* I got up for? What was funny is that when my last doggie was suffering from a bit of dementia, I could see her getting up and wandering towards the back of the house and wondering why. Luckily, instead of just a front and back door, we have two side doors, so I could open one wherever she forgot her purpose and usher her out.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Master Chef

And, Princess, since my husband retired, I do wake up and have to ask myself what day of the week it is. I usually take several exercise classes a week, so have them anchored in my mind. I'm about to start that again (finally!) But since July (hip fracture) everything went down hill and no structure at all. So I wake every morning and wonder. Tuesday? Saturday? Thank heaven for the computer!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
And, Princess, since my husband retired, I do wake up and have to ask myself what day of the week it is. I usually take several exercise classes a week, so have them anchored in my mind. I'm about to start that again (finally!) But since July (hip fracture) everything went down hill and no structure at all. So I wake every morning and wonder. Tuesday? Saturday? Thank heaven for the computer!
I live in last week at work as our assessments for patients are based on the last 7 days. So I know what today is for about two hours. My only clue most days is which day I opened to get my pills...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Executive Chef

We usually have to recount what we had when deciding what to have. Lots of times I can't remember and have to go through the days of the week trying to list what we had, so we don't have it again too soon....I have a thing with eating the same thing twice in a short amount of time...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Yeah I sometimes can't recall what I cooked either. I just write it off to "it must not have been all that great" LOL
Or maybe, great has become commonplace at your house, and so, isn't as memorable. Now, to be memorable, it has to be spectacular .

I've had an iffy short term memory all my life. It's iffy, because if it's something I am interested in, I can read it, or hear it, or see it, and remember it for life. But if it's something that's a chore, or just something that I need to remember, but doesn't tweek my interest, I'm in trouble.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote