"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks John!

Red, she does not really like tofu, but I think that is because she has never really given it much of a shot. She does have an open mind and I am sure would taste it if I made it so your recipes are more than welcome!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I almost forget Risotto ai Fruiti di Mare (Seafood Risotto). That will give you an excuse to buy fresh lobster, make a killer stock, and then use it for the risotto.

And chicken/turkey is high in iron as well. I'm sure you know how to cook chicken in at least 20 or 30 ways.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

She is a huge risotto fan so that is another great suggestions IC! I did not realize that chicken and turkey were high in iron though. That helps a lot.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef

GB, this article from the Sunday Herald may throw some light on your wife's problem.

As for food rich in iron content, perhaps she might want to try Beef Wellington that has beef, liver pate, mushrooms and onions which are all high in iron.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I practically have chronic anemia, so I'm an expert on this :-) My GI doc's nurse told me that you must take Vitamin C - a glass of OJ will work - with iron supplements to ensure absorption. If the more common ferrous sulfate formulation upsets her stomach, ferrous gluconate might work better (that's what I take).

I like to cook spaghetti sauce with ground beef in my cast-iron skillet. I also like wilted spinach salads, and put some spinach in with other greens in salads (I don't like it much by itself, and I don't like well-cooked greens). Shrimp are a good source of iron, too - 4 oz. = 20% of the daily value for iron. WHFoods: Shrimp
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I don't think any one has mentioned that it is extremely important to take a vit C source to aid in the absorption of iron, extremely important .

Also, cook in cast iron

Having a background in nutrition, I must say , the first line of defense is always food. Pack in those foods high in iron, with a side of orange juice .

Best of luck to the family
Old 06-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Some other foods high in iron.... chick peas, bran flakes, spinach, baked beans and dried figs.

Red meat (beef, lamb, pork) is rich in iron that is easily absorbed. The darker the meat, the more iron it contains.

I will post some easy tasty tofu recipes for you shortly!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

You all rock! That you so much!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
A nice grilled steak, sweet potato (baked or fries), steamed broccoli, and a spinach and arugula salad should do the trick.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I've actually just completed an article for my website with regards to lead crystalware. Although it seems a little out of context, it may actually help. I think the real message here is that being able to absorb the iron is the key.

According to my research, high quantities of lead can cause aenemia. Because of it's ability to affect the soft tissues (organs), people can experience difficulty in absorbing other heavy minerals like iron.

Food itself should not be cause for concern, but the cookware and serving dishes you use may contain lead. Conditions like the age of the dishes, how often you use them, what you store in them and how long you store things in them can affect how much lead is released. Over time, lead the body cannot use or eliminate is stored in bones and teeth and may reside there for decades.

Although this not the answer, it may give some insight into how changing simple things like dishes can help.

As far as cooking, I think everyone here is right on! Cast Iron and Stainless Steel cookware can provide up to 25 or 30 percent of a person's daily intake of iron. Cooking acidy foods will help to break down the metal and release more iron.