"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Meals High In Iron

As most of you know, my wife is pregnant. She just had a blood test and the Doc told her she is seriously anemic. He has previously told her she was anemic and put her on iron pills. Now he told her she should take 3 a day instead of one.

I did my Google research and know what foods are high in iron. I also found out what foods block the absorption of iron. What I would like to know from the people here is what foods or meals they like to eat that are high in iron. It is one thing to look up charts on Google, but it is another thing to get suggestions from friends who I know have good taste

Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd like to see this too! May her iron increase SOON!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hi GB congrats and from my perspective if her iron is seriously low she needs supplements.

My iron has been low practically for years. Last year it was so low that at my physical the doctor did not understand how I operated. In a normal female the iron count should be around 12 and mine was a 2 so almost at the lowest of the ends.

I was told that foods high in iron cannot boost up my iron reserves like supplements.

I used to take 3 iron pills a day and I still take them. I have a friend who is a physician and she told me that some individuals do not absorb iron well and I may be one such type. I can tell you however that I feel much better after those pills although I hate taking them because they make me nauseas and sick for hours.

Foods high in iron and no surprise you must have seen it on google are liver, red meats, salmon, spinach. There are a lot of others but these are the big ones. I don't like red meats, nor do I like liver. I eat salmon and spinach but they alone would not cut it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Cook

One thing to do is to cook in cast iron as much as you can, if possible. Some people say to never cook tomato based stuff in CI but they are wrong as it will help release more iron into whatever you are cooking. I guess I was a weird one as I was always anemic until I was pregnant with my first child; my blood pressure also went down and has stayed down since too. For most it is the opposite.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Well, I like grilled liver and onions, char broiled filet of beef. I love dark greens like spinach chard collards etc, all good for iron. However, keep the milk and dairy away from that meal so the iron is absorbed. So liver n onion with a baked potato seasoned with balsamic vinegar salt and pepper, and sauteed chard with garlic n evoo, would be heaven for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

GB,
I have to take iron capsules tid...I think right now the main thing is to get your wifes iron level UP..Take the pills, Keep looking at recipes that have iron in them..Just remember, that cooking takes away some of the iron, plus just how much of that iron rich food would she have to consume for it to be effective? The meds you know will work. And I'd insist on a blood test again in 3 months to see if the level has risen...It's a pain in the fanny to have to take meds, but,it's worth it in the end...Look what is coming And anemia can really lay you low...

kadesma
Old 06-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Can't go wrong with Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Grilled T-Bone/Porterhouse w/ sauteed Spinach). Both components of that meal are high in iron. Linguine with Clams is also good, or Puttanesca with Salmon and Shrimp.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

My Inlaws make a very tasty wild pheasant when my FIL gets one, it's sometimes very high in iron, but they try to get all of the buckshot out of it first.

And GB, I don't know that I ever properly said congratulations!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Tofu is high in iron and so easy to cook with. I use it in scrambles for breakfast and bake marinated tofu for salads.

Does your wife like tofu? If so I'll post some recipes for you!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks everyone and especially IC for those suggestions. Dinner tonight will be steak with lima beans (Rach LOVES lima beans). Tomorrow I will do something with spinach although I an not sure what yet.

She is on supplements and will continue to take those. The foods high in iron are just an added measure. At this point, it does not sound like she can have too much.

She will have another blood test in a number of weeks. Her doctor is amazing and is keeping a very close eye on her. He is not worried, but just wants to stay on top of it.