Meat The Vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm.... love brussel sprouts.... carrots cooked w/horseradish....
And finally... price is not a concern!!!! I buy whatever food I want!!!!!

Zesty Carrots

8 medium carrots
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons grated onion
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice the carrots into circles and steam until tender. Combine all ingredients in a 1-1/2 qt. buttered casserole. Sprinkle on the bread crumbs. Bake about 15 minutes until top is toasted.

These are sooooo tasty!

Vichy carrots REVISED carrot quantity

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
carrots cooked w/horseradish.... :x Interesting...... do you use any sauce with that?

My Variation of Vichy Carrots.

Ingredients approximate. Adjust to taste. I usually cook by impulse not exact measurements.

Use say 3 cups Julienned carrots, melt 2 teaspoons butter in the saucepan the carrots are to be cooked in, add two 2 teaspoons honey and melt through, add 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (This can be reduced to taste in next batch if desired) and a pinch of salt and toss carrots until coated, add water to just cover.
Bring to the boil and reduce water untill carrots are left with a nice glazed appearence. Sprinkle ove 1/4 teaspoon poppy or sesame seeds and fold through. That is all. Very quick and tasty.

I love roasted potatoes in oil, sea salt....brussel sprouts, asparagus and most greens.......then of course most turnip, squash...we get so much fresh vegtables in this area, it is a bounty to behold!

Claire said:
I think it is funny that many, many years ago (like 40), Mom raised me to treat corn and peas as if they were a starch! Wouldn't the low-carb fanatics love her now!!! quote]

lol, i always view corn and peas and winter squash and potatoes and beans as starches rather than veggies, and it makes me laugh when people think they can just pile them on cause they're legumes and veggies.
'they're GOOD for you; they're VEGETABLES' or some variant of that line is what people usually say when they ask me for how to get skinny and i say to lay off of the starchy vegetables.
'yeah, they ARE good for you, but they're loaded with CALORIES,' is my typical response. :roll:

you can grow just about everything in a 5 gallon bucket on a deck or porch. you'll need at least a half day of sun, but all day is better. the trick is getting the soil right, high nitrogen i think for peas and beans. the other tricky thing about container gardening is getting the moisture right. too dry no good, too wet and the roots will rot.

sugar snaps in the spring, peppers in the summer. peas do not tolerate heat well, peppers need heat.

Cool.... I just planted crocuses & daffodils today. I hope the planters are big enough that the bulbs don't freeze. =)

One of my favorite preparations of beets is to take a can, drain and rinse, then toss into the leftover pickle vinegar. Yummm . Preferable a dill/sour pickle for me, because beets are very sweet. Most prefer sweet preps, though.

Of course, you're supposed to eat them by tourtiere on Christmas eve!

i love almost all the veggies including peas,potatoes,onions,tomatoes,broccoli,spinach,eggplant etc,and dont care about the price.What i dont like to eat is corn and okra,but if i'm starving and nothing else is available,then i guess i'll eat them :D

My latest pash is those low-carb "fauxtatoes" -- overcooked cauliflower finely mashed with cream cheese and butter. WOW, are they good!

Then it's potatoes and, yes, broccoli. Does that make me a minority of one?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom