"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Meatballs in jelly/chilli sauce?

I have seen this general recipe in appetizers, and was wondering if it would maybe work for Supper if over rice or noodles and maybe some additions like onion/ bell pepper..

or is it too sweet? how is it served as an appetizer? with toothpicks?

I had a recipe from this group that was I think Hawiian Pork chops, it was onion, bell can pinaple and chili sauce over rice, and I liked that one a lot!

Thanks Eric, Austin Tx.

p.s. sorry, I didn't khow where to post this thread..

Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Head Chef

Every family function it is a requirment for the crockpot full of lil winnies and lil meatballs. All it is equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. put the meat in the pot and mix the jelly and sauces together and pour over and heat them on low.
We just leave a spoon for serving, you could place them in a shallow pan after heating thru and set toothpicks next to them.

No sure if to sweet for noodles , but ill have to try it now that you mention it - i like them on rice.

oh i should mention for this we buy already cooked meatballs in the frozen food section.
I don't thaw them dump them in frozen.
what nice is you can have some all thawed in the fridge and as the pot emptys you can add more , they heat up fast.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Every family function it is a requirment for the crockpot full of lil winnies and lil meatballs. All it is equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. put the meat in the pot and mix the jelly and sauces together and pour over and heat them on low.
We just leave a spoon for serving, you could place them in a shallow pan after heating thru and set toothpicks next to them.

No sure if to sweet for noodles , but ill have to try it now that you mention it - i like them on rice.

oh i should mention for this we buy already cooked meatballs in the frozen food section.
I don't thaw them dump them in frozen.
what nice is you can have some all thawed in the fridge and as the pot emptys you can add more , they heat up fast.
heheheheh talk about the easy way to do it!

My mom made that sauce often. usually for meatballs, but once in a while for cocktail franks. imho, don't think I'd care for the sauce on pasta, but maybe that's just me.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My mother in law had a recipe for sweet and sour meatballs that everyone loved. The sauce was made from Sauce Auturo, a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, diced onions and diced green pepper. The meatballs were about golfball size. They were served over broad egg noodles.

She gave me the recipe more than 25 years ago...and it's still a huge favourite, especially with my ex husband and our kids. It doesn't seem like traditional meatballs, but then again, it's not supposed to. I just made it last week and everyone was by to enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I know the standard is chili sauce and grape jelly..Be adventursome and try apricot, peach, blackberry instead..My kids love the peach with the chili sauce we also add some white wine at times...
kadesma
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

You can always make it less sweet by using more chili sauce than jelly so if you think it might be too sweet for noodles then that might be a route you could try.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Sweet sauce..

FWIW, I make a sauce for my "stir fry" that is usually from peach or mango preserves. I eye ball everything, so it's usually four tablespoons of preserves, quarter cup white wine, quarter cup of pineapple juice, couple or three T. soy sauce and about a t. of corn starch. A few splashes of teriyaki sauce won't hurt either.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Master Chef

Another good recipe like that: I use a small jar of mustard plus a small jar of currant (grape or apple) jelly for the little weenies or smoky links. If you want to do it cheap, use regular hot dogs and slice them diagonally in 1 inch chunks.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Head Chef

kadesma
good idea never thought of a different jelly, I made some apricot jelly this summer, i'll have to try it. thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
whole berry cranberry sauce, diced onions and diced green pepper
VeraBlue, thanks for the idea! Kadesma, I've also used different jellies with great results. Idon't know about noodles, but I think serving them on rice would be really good. I brought them to potluck last month, and that's what the staff were putting them on.