Meatballs in jelly/chilli sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I have seen this general recipe in appetizers, and was wondering if it would maybe work for Supper if over rice or noodles and maybe some additions like onion/ bell pepper..

or is it too sweet? how is it served as an appetizer? with toothpicks?

I had a recipe from this group that was I think Hawiian Pork chops, it was onion, bell can pinaple and chili sauce over rice, and I liked that one a lot!

Thanks Eric, Austin Tx.

p.s. sorry, I didn't khow where to post this thread..

Every family function it is a requirment for the crockpot full of lil winnies and lil meatballs. All it is equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. put the meat in the pot and mix the jelly and sauces together and pour over and heat them on low.
We just leave a spoon for serving, you could place them in a shallow pan after heating thru and set toothpicks next to them.

No sure if to sweet for noodles , but ill have to try it now that you mention it - i like them on rice.

oh i should mention for this we buy already cooked meatballs in the frozen food section.
I don't thaw them dump them in frozen.
what nice is you can have some all thawed in the fridge and as the pot emptys you can add more , they heat up fast.

Every family function it is a requirment for the crockpot full of lil winnies and lil meatballs. All it is equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce. put the meat in the pot and mix the jelly and sauces together and pour over and heat them on low.
We just leave a spoon for serving, you could place them in a shallow pan after heating thru and set toothpicks next to them.

No sure if to sweet for noodles , but ill have to try it now that you mention it - i like them on rice.

oh i should mention for this we buy already cooked meatballs in the frozen food section.
I don't thaw them dump them in frozen.
what nice is you can have some all thawed in the fridge and as the pot emptys you can add more , they heat up fast.

heheheheh:LOL: talk about the easy way to do it!

My mom made that sauce often. usually for meatballs, but once in a while for cocktail franks. imho, don't think I'd care for the sauce on pasta, but maybe that's just me.

My mother in law had a recipe for sweet and sour meatballs that everyone loved. The sauce was made from Sauce Auturo, a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, diced onions and diced green pepper. The meatballs were about golfball size. They were served over broad egg noodles.

She gave me the recipe more than 25 years ago...and it's still a huge favourite, especially with my ex husband and our kids. It doesn't seem like traditional meatballs, but then again, it's not supposed to. I just made it last week and everyone was by to enjoy it.

I know the standard is chili sauce and grape jelly..Be adventursome and try apricot, peach, blackberry instead..My kids love the peach with the chili sauce we also add some white wine at times...
kadesma

You can always make it less sweet by using more chili sauce than jelly so if you think it might be too sweet for noodles then that might be a route you could try.

Sweet sauce..

FWIW, I make a sauce for my "stir fry" that is usually from peach or mango preserves. I eye ball everything, so it's usually four tablespoons of preserves, quarter cup white wine, quarter cup of pineapple juice, couple or three T. soy sauce and about a t. of corn starch. A few splashes of teriyaki sauce won't hurt either.

Another good recipe like that: I use a small jar of mustard plus a small jar of currant (grape or apple) jelly for the little weenies or smoky links. If you want to do it cheap, use regular hot dogs and slice them diagonally in 1 inch chunks.

whole berry cranberry sauce, diced onions and diced green pepper
VeraBlue, thanks for the idea! Kadesma, I've also used different jellies with great results. Idon't know about noodles, but I think serving them on rice would be really good. I brought them to potluck last month, and that's what the staff were putting them on.

IMO that sauce is to sweet to serve over pasta. But that's me. I make a version of the grape/chili sauce as well. I often change it up with different jelly/cranberry sauce etc. Also good with a touch of seasoning of choice and a spoonful of dijon.

Back
Top Bottom